Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The dream is over...

The dream is over...

Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

LouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy The dream is over...

This will be my last post no doubt...

After getting married in Sydney 2002, the other half and I fell in love with the Aussie way of life, weather etc. etc. and decided (and agreed) that we wanted to make new lives down under. So....... I spent 3 gruelling years qualifying as an Accountant and a further year + clocking up some relevant and meaningful work experience. After all this and:-

Significant financial outlay;
Preparing friends and family;
Applying for and getting a Permanent Residents Visa (MODL);
More research than you can shake a stick at;
Doing the house up and putting it on the market;
Accepting an offer on the house.

During our rekkie trip to Melbourne my hubby tells me he doesn't want to emigrate now as he thinks it's too big a 'risk' to take.

I am devastated, crushed and bewildered but we always said that if one of us changed our minds we wouldn't go, so we are NOT going.

Just a word of warning to all you couples out there. Make sure it's what you BOTH want at every point of the process. People's lives change during the application process and so do people's minds.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:30 pm
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The dream is over...

Originally Posted by LouiseG

After getting married in Sydney 2002, the other half and I fell in love with the Aussie way of life, weather etc. etc. and decided (and agreed) that we wanted to make new lives down under. So....... I spent 3 gruelling years qualifying as an Accountant and a further year + clocking up some relevant and meaningful work experience. After all this and:-

During our rekkie trip to Melbourne my hubby tells me he doesn't want to emigrate now as he thinks it's too big a 'risk' to take.

I am devastated, crushed and bewildered but we always said that if one of us changed our minds we wouldn't go, so we are NOT going.

Just a word of warning to all you couples out there. Make sure it's what you BOTH want at every point of the process. People's lives change during the application process and so do people's minds.
So sorry to read your post but if you have validated you have time yet if he changes his mind again,
and in the mean time you have each other.
Relationships are more important than a dream.

Best of luck
Dave
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Nico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to butt in as I'm still new here, but you sound so disappointed it's hard not to respond. It's a bit like someone deciding they don't want kids after all...but it's always possible he'll have another change of heart, after all you have gone through. I have a son (31) in Melbourne and for him it's home now, he wouldn't live anywhere else. It's a great city, seems to appeal specially to Brits. How about another holiday in Oz, to see whether he will reappraise the risk (or is he an actuary??)

Good luck, I really hope this works out for you.
Nico
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Hi,sorry to read this after all your planning and hard work,all the best what ever you end up doing,good luck.Dave
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

gutted for you. my wife and i have the same agreement.....
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

LouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: The dream is over...

Thanks for your kind words all.
We have validated but he won't change his mind - who know's what will happen.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:05 pm
texan....usenet

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:01:20 +0000, LouiseG
<member25036@british_expats.com> wrote:

>This will be my last post no doubt...
    >After getting married in Sydney 2002, the other half and I fell in love
    >with the Aussie way of life, weather etc. etc. and decided (and agreed)
    >that we wanted to make new lives down under. So....... I spent 3
    >gruelling years qualifying as an Accountant and a further year +
    >clocking up some relevant and meaningful work experience. After all
    >this and:-
    >Significant financial outlay;
    >Preparing friends and family;
    >Applying for and getting a Permanent Residents Visa (MODL);
    >More research than you can shake a stick at;
    >Doing the house up and putting it on the market;
    >Accepting an offer on the house.
    >During our rekkie trip to Melbourne my hubby tells me he doesn't want to
    >emigrate now as he thinks it's too big a 'risk' to take.

My immediate thought is: if you get pregnant, is he then going to say
he does not want the child because it's too big a risk to take
[bringing one up]?

>I am devastated, crushed and bewildered but we always said that if one
    >of us changed our minds we wouldn't go, so we are NOT going.
    >Just a word of warning to all you couples out there. Make sure it's
    >what you BOTH want at every point of the process. People's lives change
    >during the application process and so do people's minds.

Kick him to the curb and go for it girl!

Make a new life for yourself.
If you don't follow your dream which you have worked so bloody hard at
doing, you will only live to regret it later in life.

Cath

Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:06 pm
Firth4oz

LouiseG wrote:

> > gutted for you. my wife and i have the same agreement.....
    > Thanks for your kind words all.
    > We have validated but he won't change his mind - who know's what
    > will happen.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

I'm so sorry to hear your news................ I sometimes have the
"are we doing the right thing" feeling but i only have to look at my
children (different boat to yours i know) to know that we are doing the
right thing for them.
I really hope that both of you can work this out and like you say - who
know's what will happen - miracles sometimes do happen!!!!
Mark & Diane

Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

greentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the rough

I read your post over and over and I cant stop thinking about it and how you must feel now.......
You focused for years with such efforts on that dream to come true and it eventually did. And your husband just says it´s a too big a risk to take........to be honest I am speechless.
What I can see is you took all the risk so far......Why on earth he kept watching you going through all that hassle and didnt say it earlier ?
Can you imagine staying where you are and do you see yourself happy there in a few years ahead?

All the best to you!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:23 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greentreefrog
I read your post over and over and I cant stop thinking about it and how you must feel now.......
You focused for years with such efforts on that dream to come true and it eventually did. And your husband just says it´s a too big a risk to take........to be honest I am speechless.
What I can see is you took all the risk so far......Why on earth he kept watching you going through all that hassle and didnt say it earlier ?
Can you imagine staying where you are and do you see yourself happy there in a few years ahead?

All the best to you!
I have to say these were my thoughts exactly. To watch someone completely retrain and slog their guts out in a new career, work towards their goal and then shatter it in a few words.

I wonder at what point he changed his mind?

I also wonder how he will be able to expect things to go back to normal after such a rollercoaster ride of emotions and see his wifes face every day, knowing it was his decision to end her dream.

No disrespect to your husband at all, but I do find his decision rather cruel to you. Even just going for a couple of years to test the waters would have been a halfway compromise.

Good luck in whatever you do and don't give up. Situations in life have a way of making us change our mind about things.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:23 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your kind words all.
We have validated but he won't change his mind - who know's what will happen.
Que Serra !!!

Good luck Louise x
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
Que Serra !!!

Good luck Louise x
Good Luck in whatever happens in your future. It is very sad that you have worked so hard for the dream and not to have it happen.

Would he consider another part of Australia ?

Don't give up on him it may only be cold feet and panic

Sunshine23
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:37 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

You have only just recently come on your reckie to Melbourne - what on earth went wrong? Sounds like theres not much risk left for you
Visa sorted
House sale sorted
Work sorted (being an accountant)
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:45 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Louise

Im gutted for ya . After all the hard work and effort you've put in its a shame that your hubbie wont at least give it a go. Dont give up on your dream. Anything could happen in the next few years.

All the best, whatever you decide to do.

Joex
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

I don't get it...where's the risk? You go, you like it, you stay, or, you go, you don't like it, you go back.
Is he worried about his career? His family/friends?
Maybe I'm not very sympathetic but I just don't get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.