Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dream job offer -But theres a problem

Dream job offer -But theres a problem

Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dream job offer -But theres a problem

A letter arrived in the post today-been offered the job I have always wanted to do since I was a child. Heres the catch its in the UK and now I really dont know what to do.Oh the job is that of a professional firefighter by the way,good money great conditions a good pension (a rarity these days) great prospects the list is endless.My dilemma is this do I give up job security with good wages or do I risk it all and take a chance in Aus.
The credit card company phoned today - dimia haved taken there money the first viewing on the house is tomorrow night the second on wed night and the board aint even up yet. So now Iam :scared: and I really dont know what to do.God my brain is pickled, I dont suppose anyone else has had the same dilemma.Could someone please make a decision for me and save me from doing it
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dream job offer -But theres a problem

Originally posted by bored brit
A letter arrived in the post today-been offered the job I have always wanted to do since I was a child. Heres the catch its in the UK and now I really dont know what to do.Oh the job is that of a professional firefighter by the way,good money great conditions a good pension (a rarity these days) great prospects the list is endless.My dilemma is this do I give up job security with good wages or do I risk it all and take a chance in Aus.
The credit card company phoned today - dimia haved taken there money the first viewing on the house is tomorrow night the second on wed night and the board aint even up yet. So now Iam :scared: and I really dont know what to do.God my brain is pickled, I dont suppose anyone else has had the same dilemma.Could someone please make a decision for me and save me from doing it
if its any help....do the thing you would regret the most not doing!...me?...go for oz!
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

If you qualified for the job here, you would qualify in Oz too.

I know its not that simple. How about taking the job here, giving it 6 months, then whatever you decide you are a winner, you've got the firefighter training when you go to Oz, or you've got your dream job if you stay here?

Good luck,
JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

hongkong is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Go to oz and then become a firefighter out there 2 dreams for the price of one.

Good luck

Neil
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thats my dilemma I really want to go to aus but then i really do love the job(been in the retained brigade for 4years and its great) so I really am between a rock and a hard place if that makes any sense.Thanks for your views though
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by hongkong
Hi

Go to oz and then become a firefighter out there 2 dreams for the price of one.

Good luck

Neil
Looked into it and it aint that simple unfortunately. Oh if only it was.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JackTheLad
If you qualified for the job here, you would qualify in Oz too.

I know its not that simple. How about taking the job here, giving it 6 months, then whatever you decide you are a winner, you've got the firefighter training when you go to Oz, or you've got your dream job if you stay here?

Good luck,
JTL
Don't want to put too much of a damper on this but there have been threads on this recently.

As far as I know firefighter qualifications are not transferrable.
I may be wrong but if you try a search you may find more info.
It would seem it is not easy to get a job in Australia as a firefighter.

Balls in your court it seems.

Good luck whatever you decide.

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:48 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

what an awful dilema my sensible head would be saying take the job and like others have said do it for maybe a yr and then go to oz, but my heart would definately be saying go to oz now.
Sorry wasnt much help was I
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Looked into it and it aint that simple unfortunately. Oh if only it was.
Even if you did the professional firefighter training?

It may sound ruthless, but could you not take the job, get the training (meanwhile applying for similar in Oz) and then quit when you get an offer from Oz

JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Grayling
Don't want to put too much of a damper on this but there have been threads on this recently.

As far as I know firefighter qualifications are not transferrable.
G
Ohhh Good point. Don't suppose there is much call for bush firefighting training in N.Ireland.

Unless you count the gorsefires..... nah, different scale entirely,

JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you get the visa, validate it, then return to the Uk and do your job - you would then have five years to make the decision before your visa runs out.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:52 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Hiya

The only one who can make that decision is you my friend. You've got to weigh up all the pros and cons of each and decide on which you would regret NOT doing

"What's one mans meat is another mans poison" so to speak....

No one can make that decision for you. Whichever one you chose...don't do regret.

Anyways....vary rarely is anything in life set in tablets of stone. You can always change direction

Whichever you chose....I wish you luck my friend

Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Even if you did the professional firefighter training?

It may sound ruthless, but could you not take the job, get the training (meanwhile applying for similar in Oz) and then quit when you get an offer from Oz

JTL
Its as grayling said your training counts for nowt. You cant apply for aus fire brigade until you have your pr visa and then its a 9month application process with a lot of aptitude tests phsyical and written exams and other exams so its a bit of a kick in the teeth.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jana1
Could you get the visa, validate it, then return to the Uk and do your job - you would then have five years to make the decision before your visa runs out.

Good point but with the house on the market and the wife and 2 kidreally wanting to go to I really dont know what to do.
Thanks for that reply though.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:06 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

not in fire service but I too have had an initial interviw for a job I have always wanted to do.my current contract runs out in 5-6 weeks and will not be renewed.

No matter what i will go to Aus if job offer comes to nothing and if anything does come of it I am validating and staying for the 18 months contract on offer.At the end I still have that beautiful visa in my passport

As I say my job is still in the early stages of the selection process so will probably come to nothing but in your case i would take job- validate visa and while validating spend your time researching how transferable the role is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.