Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drawing UK pension whilst in Oz?

Drawing UK pension whilst in Oz?

Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drawing UK pension whilst in Oz?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
http://www.britishpensions.org.au

And lobby for a change to the ridiculous law that some British pensioners living overseas have an index linked pension whilst those who live in Australia and some other countries have a pension which is frozen from day one of drawing.

OzTennis
And (and here I am banging on around a wellworn theme, but it's worth repeating over and over) a part of any opted-out private UK pension corresponding to the "minimum guarantee".

UNLESS you were a judge, MP or civil servant, in which case the above does not apply.

Discuss, in relation to ethics!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
And (and here I am banging on around a wellworn theme, but it's worth repeating over and over) a part of any opted-out private UK pension corresponding to the "minimum guarantee".

UNLESS you were a judge, MP or civil servant, in which case the above does not apply.

Discuss, in relation to ethics!
Yep, and the oft quoted case of the British WW2 soldier who can retire to Germany on a fully indexed pension but who cannot retire to most ally nations on a fully indexed pension. Discuss in relation to ethics! (ah but it would cost us too much to index the pensions of those in Oz).

OzTennis
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Thanks for all the feedback folks
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:15 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yep, and the oft quoted case of the British WW2 soldier who can retire to Germany on a fully indexed pension but who cannot retire to most ally nations on a fully indexed pension. Discuss in relation to ethics! (ah but it would cost us too much to index the pensions of those in Oz).

OzTennis
What on earth is the argument about cost defeats me.

Vis:

I go to buy a car. I select one. I sign the contract, and hand over a bank cheque for the car.

"Sorry", says the salesman: "I can't hand over the car to you - it is too expensive for us to buy it from the manufacturer".
Old Nov 25th 2005, 2:34 pm

hutchy59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Drawing UK pension whilst in Oz?

Originally Posted by woogle
Hi,
We are due to go to Oz in Jan,& I was after some advice/experiences of claiming our UK state pension whilst there. We're both 39,& our when we spoke to our agent in the beginning,he said most people don't bother,as it's a long winded process & not worth the hassle. So I haven't looked into it yet,but just wondered if anyone would agree not to bother?
I know it's a few years off yet, but at we could do to find out.
Any feedback welcome,
thanks
Hi there,
I appreciate that yes, by the time you come to retire, state pensions may be means tested in the UK, or perhaps non existent, but if you take the full basic state pension at the moment is £82.05 per week, you need 44 qualifying years to achieve this, so basically £2.00 per week is added to your pension for every year you pay in, I do not know of any investment that you can pay £382.60 (04/05 tax year rate) which will give you £8.00 per month return, so in my opinion you have to live for the way the law is today, and not what it could be, or we would all stay locked up in our homes. I work for the pension forecasting dept, but I give only my own opinion here.
We too are trying to immigrate and I know how difficult it is to make all these life changing decissions.
Hope this helps you.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi there,
I appreciate that yes, by the time you come to retire, state pensions may be means tested in the UK, or perhaps non existent, but if you take the full basic state pension at the moment is £82.05 per week, you need 44 qualifying years to achieve this, so basically £2.00 per week is added to your pension for every year you pay in, I do not know of any investment that you can pay £382.60 (04/05 tax year rate) which will give you £8.00 per month return, so in my opinion you have to live for the way the law is today, and not what it could be, or we would all stay locked up in our homes. I work for the pension forecasting dept, but I give only my own opinion here.
We too are trying to immigrate and I know how difficult it is to make all these life changing decissions.
Hope this helps you.
Excellent advice and try emigrating, you'll never get out of the country the other way. (couldn't resist)

OzTennis
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Hi there,
Hope this helps you.
Why would someone moving to Australia inform the DWP to have their pension sent over there, when they could just have it paid into a bank account in the UK and receive the increase for inflation each year. There is no way the DWP could ever know if you were in Spain, Australia or any other part of the world unless you informed them. I am sure it is morally wrong to do this but then so is giving index linked pensions to some and not others.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Quote... 6." Last but not least, don't forget that once you've been in Oz 10 years (having arrived with a PR visa), you qualify for the Oz state pension on retirement (Oz state pension is means-tested)."

Thanks for the info,really helpful, think i might go for the last point of being in oz for 10 years then... because we want to commit ourselves to at least this amount of time anyway if not permanently...with this in mind, would you happen to know that if someone decides they don't intend to pay anymore into the british N.I. scheme and don't expect anything upon retirement from the u.k., is there a way in which we can apply to receive back what has already been paid in.? Not quite sure if it is literally an 'insurance' or like a 'savings' where by that money paid in is actually yours to claim back... can anyone help?
Lynn
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:30 am

hutchy59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Quote... 6." Last but not least, don't forget that once you've been in Oz 10 years (having arrived with a PR visa), you qualify for the Oz state pension on retirement (Oz state pension is means-tested)."

Thanks for the info,really helpful, think i might go for the last point of being in oz for 10 years then... because we want to commit ourselves to at least this amount of time anyway if not permanently...with this in mind, would you happen to know that if someone decides they don't intend to pay anymore into the british N.I. scheme and don't expect anything upon retirement from the u.k., is there a way in which we can apply to receive back what has already been paid in.? Not quite sure if it is literally an 'insurance' or like a 'savings' where by that money paid in is actually yours to claim back... can anyone help?
Lynn
Hi Lynn
Providing you have paid the minimum of 25% of working life, 11years, you will be entitled to receive your pension at pension age no matter where you are in the world, but you cannot take out now what you have paid in. you would have to wait until pension age, and then receive it as a pension, also you would have to claim it, it is not done automatically. The question is, when you get to pension age, do you want to be living on a means tested benefit? You would need to look into what schemes they have there, and whether you would benefit by paying into their scheme as well as into your uk state pension, if you can afford to, I don't think you can ever have too much pension. I really don't know anything about the Australian pension schemes, but I think if their state pension is means tested, you must be able to pay into a private or work pension through your employer, if this is the case, chances are you would not qualify for the state means tested pension, and in this case, I would say 2 pensions are better than 1.
Probably confused you even more, but it is food for thought, and something you should look into properly before making your decision.
Cheers and good luck
Julie
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:07 pm
ABCDiamond

I really don't know anything about the Australian pension schemes, but I think if their state pension is means tested, you must be able to pay into a private or work pension through your employer, if this is the case, chances are you would not qualify for the state means tested pension, and in this case, I would say 2 pensions are better than 1.
Probably confused you even more, but it is food for thought, and something you should look into properly before making your decision.
Cheers and good luck
Julie
Julie
The Australian system is now:
For every worker earning over $450 per month, the employer MUST contribute an EXTRA 9%, on top of the persons wage, into a Super Fund of the Employees choice. This builds up a fund in the Employees own name. It can be accessed from age 55, in various forms.
The individual can also contribute more into this fund if they wish, as it is their own Personal Pension Fund.

The Government also has the means tested pension to cater for anyone left out of the above system.

Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:24 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Julie
The Australian system is now:
For every worker earning over $450 per month, the employer MUST contribute an EXTRA 9%, on top of the persons wage, into a Super Fund of the Employees choice. This builds up a fund in the Employees own name. It can be accessed from age 55, in various forms.
The individual can also contribute more into this fund if they wish, as it is their own Personal Pension Fund.

The Government also has the means tested pension to cater for anyone left out of the above system.
I rather like the Australian idea, that everyone has to have a pension if they can "afford it" It's to easy in the UK with saying that someone else will pay.
You also get what you have paid in and not forced to buy an annuity

It is going to come back and bite them on there arses in the UK, with the government not wonting to tell everyone the bad news, that you only get what you pay for.

Bye
Mark
Old Nov 27th 2005, 3:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by markeh
I rather like the Australian idea, that everyone has to have a pension if they can "afford it" It's to easy in the UK with saying that someone else will pay.
You also get what you have paid in and not forced to buy an annuity

It is going to come back and bite them on there arses in the UK, with the government not wonting to tell everyone the bad news, that you only get what you pay for.

Bye
Mark
I agree. And some of the super funds here have performed very well, I've seen how my wifes fund has grown over the last 5 years.
She voluntarily tops up her employer 9% compulsory payments with 5% of her salary, and if things keep going as they are, will get a pension of about 75% of her final salary. It's just a pity that I'm not likely to share in hers when it gets paid out.

Almost everyone who works will get some personal super. According to some info from one if the Trade Unions; the ACTU stated in 2004: "Today almost 90% of workers are members of super funds".