Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dpes Your Home Have To Look Like Something Off The Tv?

Dpes Your Home Have To Look Like Something Off The Tv?

Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Question Dpes Your Home Have To Look Like Something Off The Tv?

Has anyone successfully sold their home with it NOT looking like those shown in those tv makeover shows? They do my head in. I have neither the money nor the handyman to do these things they suggest. I will be putting my modest little Victorian terrace on the market shortly, and am so worried it will not sell. Any tips folks???
By the way, it doesn't look like Kim and Aggie need to come round! :scared:
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dpes Your Home Have To Look Like Something Off The Tv?

Just make sure there isn't too much clutter.

Remember, less is more!!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:05 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Just try to make it look as bright, large, uncluttered and fresh smelling as is possible.
Good luck
Carole
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

If you've got a garden, don't have it looking like a tip, even if it could be tidied up easily by a buyer. It helps if they can see themselves sitting in it of a summer evening with a glass of wine.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:13 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
Just make sure there isn't too much clutter.

Remember, less is more!!
And for an instant clean affect wash your windows
Old Sep 17th 2005, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Dpes Your Home Have To Look Like Something Off The Tv?

Originally Posted by lor
And for an instant clean affect wash your windows
Many thanks for all your tips folks!
Old Sep 17th 2005, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Many thanks for all your tips folks!
I look at a lot of houses.....and no, not everyone doctors their houses! Trust me, just make it clean, have a path to the windows and create a cosy impression.
Old Sep 17th 2005, 9:07 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

Hi,

I have accepted an offer on my house, and it is really a building site - but then I priced it to reflect it's condition.

All I did was a day's work on the front of the house for the old kerb-appeal effect (couple of dwarf conifers in nice pots by the door, ripped up the tatty scrags of lawn and laid smart bark, weeded the patio and cleaned the window and door), combined with a lot of tidying away, cleaning and making it smell fresh (as has already been suggested on here).

I also did things like: borrow a friend's single bed to make the spare room look more like a bedroom than just a space; get some value floor tiles from B&Q (£2.98 for 6) and cover the kitchen floor so it was clean and fresh; washed all the pet bedding to get rid of dog niff; put all the good towels etc in the bathroom, and clear the clutter from in there; best bedding on; just straight forward sensible things to show the house to it's best advantage.

Good luck with the sale - balance whether you want to spend a few bob and the time getting the jobs done, or maybe drop the price a fraction, and attract a bargain hunter who is happy to do up the house.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Dpes Your Home Have To Look Like Something Off The Tv?

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
Hi,

I have accepted an offer on my house, and it is really a building site - but then I priced it to reflect it's condition.

All I did was a day's work on the front of the house for the old kerb-appeal effect (couple of dwarf conifers in nice pots by the door, ripped up the tatty scrags of lawn and laid smart bark, weeded the patio and cleaned the window and door), combined with a lot of tidying away, cleaning and making it smell fresh (as has already been suggested on here).

I also did things like: borrow a friend's single bed to make the spare room look more like a bedroom than just a space; get some value floor tiles from B&Q (£2.98 for 6) and cover the kitchen floor so it was clean and fresh; washed all the pet bedding to get rid of dog niff; put all the good towels etc in the bathroom, and clear the clutter from in there; best bedding on; just straight forward sensible things to show the house to it's best advantage.

Good luck with the sale - balance whether you want to spend a few bob and the time getting the jobs done, or maybe drop the price a fraction, and attract a bargain hunter who is happy to do up the house.
Great advice. Thanks to all that supplied tips, already clutter clearing, ebay, charity.Going to have a house boot sale.Put all things out with stickers on and invite friends and their friends round to browse. Could solve their Xmas prezzie problems.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 9:16 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

One more thing Suzanne

Smile, and act like you haven't a care in the world.
People like happy homes, so big smiles
Good luck
Carole
Old Sep 21st 2005, 2:32 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

And don't mention that you are off to Oz!

Tracey
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Has anyone successfully sold their home with it NOT looking like those shown in those tv makeover shows? They do my head in. I have neither the money nor the handyman to do these things they suggest. I will be putting my modest little Victorian terrace on the market shortly, and am so worried it will not sell. Any tips folks???
By the way, it doesn't look like Kim and Aggie need to come round! :scared:
We sold our house straight away.
So some handy tips:
Victorian terrace can be dark, so make it light and airy.
clean and uncluttered, throw everything in cuboards.
Fresh flowers.
Pot of coffee on or bread or cakes in the oven, so it feels homely.
People walk in the hallway and thats their first impression, so they have to feel comfortable as you know when you are looking for a new home you have to feel right about it. Denise
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:09 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cranni
We sold our house straight away.
So some handy tips:
Victorian terrace can be dark, so make it light and airy.
clean and uncluttered, throw everything in cuboards.
Fresh flowers.
Pot of coffee on or bread or cakes in the oven, so it feels homely.
People walk in the hallway and thats their first impression, so they have to feel comfortable as you know when you are looking for a new home you have to feel right about it. Denise
when i was gettin viewers round.....nobody was allowed to use the loo incase they stunk it out...lol used to send the kids to my neighbours...who luckily were out during the day
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
when i was gettin viewers round.....nobody was allowed to use the loo incase they stunk it out...lol used to send the kids to my neighbours...who luckily were out during the day
Yes i got rid of my kids too, my 7 yr old has a big mouth.
People always ask about your neighbours and you have to say, oh they r lovely , but our was a witch and he would have said so.
My hubby threw everthing in airing cuboard, and i opened it , and all fell out, but we all laughed and the house sold. We said we would empty it before we left.