Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

I thought I'd start a Gardening thread for people with guess what, gardening problems / queries etc in Australia (I can't be on me own).

(My query to follow)
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

Default The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

Ok, now I don't profess to have the greenest fingers, but they're getting greener by the year (very therapeutic I find... ) My current problem is I planted 6 Golden Canes over a year ago, and they aint growing!

Well, they seem to be buffing up for want of a better term, but nothing goin on in the height dept, and am just curious as to why, and if or when they'll start heading north instead of east to west ?!? ...

Pictures.

When planted...

How they look now...

As I say, they seem to be buffing up and even some movement at the base...

No3...

No4...

But they haven't grown a single inch in height ...

They're supposed to grow to 20 odd foot, but not these.

Will appreciate any replies / advice ...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:00 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

When I saw the thread title "Down under gardening thread" it reminded me that I'm overdue for a wax at the beauty salon
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kapri
When I saw the thread title "Down under gardening thread" it reminded me that I'm overdue for a wax at the beauty salon
OMG I've clearly had too much to drink as I just looked for the 'like' button ... pmsl

Oh and yeah, can see why you thought that ...

So can you tell me when me Canes will grow or what? ...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Oh and appreciate this will prob get more response during the Aussie daytime but will bump tomorrow. Not convinced it'll help tho! ...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:46 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You are in the same general area that we were living in, we found that it took up to 3 years for new plants to bed in and then they took off. I planted about a dozen golden canes and for at least 2 years they did nothing at all and then went ballistic.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chris955
You are in the same general area that we were living in, we found that it took up to 3 years for new plants to bed in and then they took off. I planted about a dozen golden canes and for at least 2 years they did nothing at all and then went ballistic.
Yeah 10 mins if my memory serves me (Tanah Merah?!).

I feel optimistic as like I say there is growth goin on, but just no height yet.

Maybe a year or two to go then.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:20 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Shailer Park.
Yeah ours thickened up but didnt grow up until about the 3rd year then as I say they literally went crazy and grew about 3 a year in height
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

Shailer Park.
Yeah ours thickened up but didnt grow up until about the 3rd year then as I say they literally went crazy and grew about 3 a year in height
That's the one!

Yeah neighbour has em and reckons they just went crazy from the off, but it's just not what I'm seeing. Well, in height anyway.

TBH there's no real rush, but just curious as to if anyone in the know can tell anything from the pics.

time will tell I spose.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:28 pm
Banned

From what we saw all the growing at first goes into thickening and then they go up
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

From what we saw all the growing at first goes into thickening and then they go up
So prob all normal then ...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Golden Canes are bloody hard to grow mate. I have one that has been in for 2 years and doesn't look as good as yours.

Now fig trees mate - biggest success story and at $4 per fig in the shops I reckon mine is worth about a grand a year!

BB
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Golden Canes are bloody hard to grow mate. I have one that has been in for 2 years and doesn't look as good as yours.

Now fig trees mate - biggest success story and at $4 per fig in the shops I reckon mine is worth about a grand a year!

BB
Yeah I'm starting to think I'm expecting a bit too much too soon.

They're all spouting new stems too so I guess I'll just sit and wait.

Cheers
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I have had real problems with my trees- an orange and a grevillia just died, almost overnight. Think I've got a fungus, as one of the gums had to be taken down and had bracket fungus.

But my main problem is nothing seems to be growing this year- all my veggies are either bolting, eaten by rabbits, or going yellow/sulking. The peppers are the same size as when I put them in!! This is after 3 months. Half the tomatoes in pots have grown and the other half haven't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting I didn't realise these Northern or warmer based plants did this. I've got 33 Slender Weaver bamboo plants at our place and all their energy seems to be going into thickening up. I was under the impression that they would grow like billy oh in the height department and be poking their heads over a 2.2 meter fence by now.

We are doing our whole garden up... already laid the lawn and thats growing fantastic... been using heaps of water though.

Here's some Photos...
Attached Thumbnails The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread-20130105_113037.jpg   The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread-20130105_113318.jpg   The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread-20130105_113128.jpg   The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread-20130105_113210.jpg   The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread-20130105_113103.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.