Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dowloading UK tv. someone explain please!

Dowloading UK tv. someone explain please!

Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dowloading UK tv. someone explain please!

Right, I have manged to sign up for the box.bz but I am not sure how it works.

What does it mean when it tells me that I have got to upload things too? Does it do it automatically or do I have to have a program on my computer that I upload. I don't have anything to upload so what do I do?

This techno stuff is a bit over my head, help!

Mandy
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Andy_Roo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dowloading UK tv. someone explain please!

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2

What does it mean when it tells me that I have got to upload things too? Does it do it automatically or do I have to have a program on my computer that I upload. I don't have anything to upload so what do I do?

Mandy
Hey Mandy,

First off you'll need some software to be able to download torrents, something like uTorrent? there's loads of others so Google it if unsure. As for uploading, the way it works is that whatever files you download will generally be available for others to download whilst you're online. If you download a file and leave say, uTorrent, running then that software will make that downloaded file available for others to download. If you shut uTorrent or disconnect from the internet then this will stop but you can also restrict how much data can be uploaded within the torrent software. Hope this helps - if you need any more info drop me a note and I'll try not to confuse the issue any more than I already have!?!?

All the best,
Andy
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:23 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

So its file sharing, similar to Kazaa ? but legit...?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Yes. And No.

It's all copyrighted stuff - no matter how sites like UKnova and TheBox dress it up.

*goes off to check if the latest episode of Spooks is up yet ... *
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:54 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yes. And No.

It's all copyrighted stuff - no matter how sites like UKnova and TheBox dress it up.

Surely, if ppl cannot figure out how to upload and download , using Bit-torrent or similar, then its fair to presume, the amount of spyware adware and viruses leaching into their system, unbeknown to them, far outweighs the necessity to watch the latest episode of coronation street ??
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:07 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yes. And No.

Episode 5 was up last week, as I watched it yesterday even though BBC1 only broadcast it last night. I think BBC3 get it early.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:49 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy
Did you download a torrent program? There are two parts to it all. The peer-to-peer software (and I use Azureus as it is the example thebox.bz quotes all the time) could be used to transfer anything to anyone I guess. The file share site uses these sites to pass files to and from you. It is a little tricky to fathom all out and configure but persevere and ask on here if stuck.

I think you can force stuff to upload but I just let stuff I have downloaded upload back in its own time (leave the PC on overnight or during the day with Azureus running). You can download something like 4Gb to start with but have to upload at least 40% (and it increases) of what you have downloaded to get anymore.

You may need to download some CODEC's (see FAQ section to get it working with pictures).

Getting it in a format to transfer to a DVD player was the hard part for me.

Their claim is it is stuff not yet released on DVD so you are not costing the BBC etc anything.

Surely, if ppl cannot figure out how to upload and download , using Bit-torrent or similar, then its fair to presume, the amount of spyware adware and viruses leaching into their system, unbeknown to them, far outweighs the necessity to watch the latest episode of coronation street ??
Personally, I use AVG anti-virus and scan everyday and also you Spywareblaster, Ad-Aware and Spybot periodically to watch for this sort of thing. I wouldn't be confident everyone else is so diligent.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future

ive been on thebox for a couple of weeks now, using Azureus, Im a real basic user though and just keep it running in order to keep my ratio up on the website, so far so good, I doknt really understand the ins and outs of how it works, I get the programs I want and Im happy!!
Now for my dumb question.....we have noticed our computer has been running really really slowly in the last few weeks eg taking ages to start up when first turned on, taking longer than normal for progs such as Firefox or Outlook to start up, maybe its a coincidence, maybe its not...what would you suggest I can do to check if using Azureus has caused any problems on my PC??
We have got AVG on the computer to check for viruses
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:51 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annb
ive been on thebox for a couple of weeks now, using Azureus, Im a real basic user though and just keep it running in order to keep my ratio up on the website, so far so good, I doknt really understand the ins and outs of how it works, I get the programs I want and Im happy!!
Now for my dumb question.....we have noticed our computer has been running really really slowly in the last few weeks eg taking ages to start up when first turned on, taking longer than normal for progs such as Firefox or Outlook to start up, maybe its a coincidence, maybe its not...what would you suggest I can do to check if using Azureus has caused any problems on my PC??
We have got AVG on the computer to check for viruses
I can't think why Azureus would cause your PC to be slow on start up, mine isn't. It could be you just need to run a disk clean up (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean up) or even defrag as a bit of housekeeping.

Try downloading startup inspector from download.com to see if there are any programs running that you don't need or even nasty like spyware then turn them off (it recommends which to do) as that is the most likely reason for a slow start up (competing applications).

But anyway, Azureus uses up a lot of PC processing power as well as internet "pipe" so it will make your PC slow. There are options in there for limiting the amount of CPU capacity it can grab though but that will harm upload / download speed. I can't remember how without it being in front of my but could be in options or maybe you need to download a plugin. Have I lost you yet?

Maybe the simplest thing is to only use Azureus overnight?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future

Have I lost you yet?

Maybe the simplest thing is to only use Azureus overnight?[/QUOTE]

Ha yes almost lost me!!! But maybe over night is the way to go!!! or on my offpeak quota hours anyway
thanks for the help, we defragged and it seems a bit better!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:12 am
Just Joined

nufc is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also signed up to box.bz, so far ive downloaded 4.47GB, and uploaded 1.26GB, my ratio is 0.282 . But now when i try to download something else it wont let me and tells me to get my ratio up, how do i do that. Anyone can give me any info cheers carl
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:23 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by nufc
I have also signed up to box.bz, so far ive downloaded 4.47GB, and uploaded 1.26GB, my ratio is 0.282 . But now when i try to download something else it wont let me and tells me to get my ratio up, how do i do that. Anyone can give me any info cheers carl
Leave your PC on overnight with your file share / torrent thingy running and it should upload some more. When it gets to 0.4 you will be able to download some more.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have already downloaded stuff before so I know what to do, it was just this uploading, wasn't sure how that worked.

I am downloading stuff but started last night just after I posted and it is now at 29.4% speed currently 33.3 kB/s, is that bad or good? I personally think it is bad because it will probably take me about 3 or 4 day

Mandy
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:34 pm
A former regular of BE

I have already downloaded stuff before so I know what to do, it was just this uploading, wasn't sure how that worked.

I am downloading stuff but started last night just after I posted and it is now at 29.4% speed currently 33.3 kB/s, is that bad or good? I personally think it is bad because it will probably take me about 3 or 4 day

Mandy
I can usually get 160kB/s downloading on a 1.5Mb package. 20-30 uploading is about the max but then the rest of my PC runs at dial up speeds.