Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doubts about Brisbane

Doubts about Brisbane

Old May 20th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doubts about Brisbane

:curse:

After having finally made the decision to return to Oz after 2 years back in the UK I am now having serious doubts that Brisbane is the place to go. The more researching on this site I do the more i am confused We spent 6 years in Perth, didnt hate it but thought we should try somewhere different, now not so sure. Today (more so than any other day) there seems to be a lots of negativity about getting work (husband in IT - seems to be a prob??) commuting times to/from places of work and affordable housing not to mention trying to get a rental

We may have been lucky last time we went to Oz cos neither of us had trouble getting a job, getting a rental and finally buying a house - was that because it was Perth or because it was 8 years ago? What has changed so much since we left (apart from extorionate house prices?). I would rather go back to Perth if it was going to be the "easier" option but dont want to be put off a new adventure when there could be the chance we will be OK.

BB x
Old May 20th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all
Default Re: Doubts about Brisbane

We are in same boat as you - spent 5 years in adelaide been back for 3 now heading back to Brisbane. I am having serious doubts as loved adelaide but hubby not so sure. He wants a more even climate - now not sure going to get that in Brissy. Dreading the humidity as well.
Old May 20th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reading fan
We are in same boat as you - spent 5 years in adelaide been back for 3 now heading back to Brisbane. I am having serious doubts as loved adelaide but hubby not so sure. He wants a more even climate - now not sure going to get that in Brissy. Dreading the humidity as well.
Gosh there are more of us ping pommers out there than I thought My hubby too wants the brissy climate and I am not keen on the humidity, that said i would certainly have that over the weather here in lancashire More so the job side of things and cost of living that worries me. We now have 2 children to go back with so it will only be one of us working, we can manage that here because of the decent wages but not sure if that could be the case in Brisbane. It has also been said it is impossible to get a job in IT without any contacts there We didnt have any in perth and it wasnt an issue so just wondering what makes Brisbane different. Good luck with your decisions - not easy is it
Old May 20th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Hi there, I know this wont help, but we moved to NZ nearly 7 years ago and came back after 18 months, now we have that feeling that the Uk isnt right for us, sometimes you gotta go back to find that out.... So we are looking into Aus.. (NZ just wasnt right, maybe different time different peeps- who knows ) So I guess that makes us kinda ping pommers to an extent, problem we have is that we sold our house to go to NZ and in the time we left and returned to the UK, the housing market was high on helium, so never able to get back on that ladder, and it doesnt look likely. Consequently we dont have the luxury of thousands of £'s in equity to bring over, so its not gonna be easy, but having done it and been through the experience we are wiser to things and dont have the rosie glasses on, its not gonna be easy either being here or going there, just gonna cost more to get there.... Anyway sorry for rambling.. Good luck to you all.
Old May 20th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Gosh there are more of us ping pommers out there than I thought My hubby too wants the brissy climate and I am not keen on the humidity, that said i would certainly have that over the weather here in lancashire More so the job side of things and cost of living that worries me. We now have 2 children to go back with so it will only be one of us working, we can manage that here because of the decent wages but not sure if that could be the case in Brisbane. It has also been said it is impossible to get a job in IT without any contacts there We didnt have any in perth and it wasnt an issue so just wondering what makes Brisbane different. Good luck with your decisions - not easy is it
Hi Betty boot,

I don't know if this will help, when we were in Brisbane in Jan this year on our reccie we spoke to Hayes. They were quite positive about the IT market and said when you we have dates give them about 4-8 weeks notice and it would'nt be a problem with a job. Have you looked on Jobserve au?
Old May 20th 2008, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flodsfive
Hi Betty boot,

I don't know if this will help, when we were in Brisbane in Jan this year on our reccie we spoke to Hayes. They were quite positive about the IT market and said when you we have dates give them about 4-8 weeks notice and it would'nt be a problem with a job. Have you looked on Jobserve au?
Thanks for that. Have just discussed with my husband all of the above worries and he thinks it should all be OK, so i guess i gotta go with that I am known for panicking, as soon as i read something it is true
Old May 20th 2008, 7:52 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Today (more so than any other day) there seems to be a lots of negativity about getting work (husband in IT - seems to be a prob??) commuting times to/from places of work and affordable housing not to mention trying to get a rental
None of those problems are unique to Brisbane and are Australia wide. Since you were here last, increased traffic, increased housing costs, greater demands for rentals etc.

Stop the panic. The grass is always greener and people always whine. You'll be right.
Old May 20th 2008, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

After having finally made the decision to return to Oz after 2 years back in the UK I am now having serious doubts that Brisbane is the place to go. The more researching on this site I do the more i am confused We spent 6 years in Perth, didnt hate it but thought we should try somewhere different, now not so sure. Today (more so than any other day) there seems to be a lots of negativity about getting work (husband in IT - seems to be a prob??) commuting times to/from places of work and affordable housing not to mention trying to get a rental

We may have been lucky last time we went to Oz cos neither of us had trouble getting a job, getting a rental and finally buying a house - was that because it was Perth or because it was 8 years ago? What has changed so much since we left (apart from extorionate house prices?). I would rather go back to Perth if it was going to be the "easier" option but dont want to be put off a new adventure when there could be the chance we will be OK.

BB x
As someone just said none of these problems are are just brisbane. On the plus side the geographical location of brisbane is obviously going to offer far more varitey in life than many other bits of OZ. Brisbanes humidity is probably the most overdone thing on this forum, even in hot years which we havent had since 2003 its only humid for summer not the entire year, summer in OZ IME has its problems in most australian cities. This morning its about 9degrees, heating up to sunny 24 not a spec of humidity.

Whats changed - If you left 2 years ago you would probably be shocked at how much stuff has gone up, petrol, food, bills probably all the stuff thats gone up in the UK. IMO wages have not gone up, unemployments slightly up, the exchange rate from the UK is now worse, there is a new government, and the mode of the media is very doom and gloom mainly because interest rates continue to rise and are currently 9%. Personally I cant see the skys fell in , its pretty much exactly the same but far more expensive. IMO the worse thing is the health and education systems need serious injections of billions of dollars and are in pretty bad shape. The beach , the sun, big houses with pools and the cant be arsed woops mean laid back attitude are still here, good and bad as always.
Old May 21st 2008, 1:14 am
Banned

the big nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reading fan
hi....can i ask what you loved about adelaide.............
Old May 21st 2008, 1:22 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

BB x
Hi.

As far as I am aware, IT recruitment is not a problem here in Brisbane. There are still plenty of jobs to be had (though it does depend on your OH's skill set?). How much longer that will last given the current global turmoil and predictions is anyones guess?
Old May 21st 2008, 3:45 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

BB x
People do tend to exaggerate and concentrate on the negatives in life. Bear in mind that most people are more than happy to write on here about how hard things are, but when things are going right there is less incentive to 'get it out of your system' by typing it all on a forum.

Yes, it is a competitive rental market, but we recently got a place after applying for four. Obviously it would be nice to get the first thing you apply for but it's no biggie. Same with finding a job, you sometimes have to apply for a couple to get what you want. Please don't let other people's experiences scare you. I say go for it! Brisbane is a lovely place and if I can do it then anyone can.
Old May 21st 2008, 5:06 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Having got anything to add except I am just about there in Brisbane (less than 2 weeks to go) and I am soon to find out what the job market and rentals are really like! I lived in Sydney and Cairns for a few years over 6 years ago and I am expecting BIG changes from the advice on here - hoping hubby and I can rent and save some $$ and maybe ride out the exchange rate horror and also hope that the house prices slow down/recede (fingers crossed) instead of skyrocket like they were!

Feel free to PM me in about 3-4 weeks if you need some 'live' advice from those of us finally getting back to Aussie after a long absence!
Old May 21st 2008, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Maybe your concerns are springing up because you have doubts about your ability to make the right decision after deciding to return back to Oz.
Be clear about the things you want, the lifestyle, the activities, the opportunities for your kids, get a specific list of everything you want, why you want it and how it will benefit you.
Then tick the boxes for each location and choose the best one. Once you have the confidence you know what you want and have picked a plce that gives you those things you might feel better.
Good luck
Old May 21st 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones

Feel free to PM me in about 3-4 weeks if you need some 'live' advice from those of us finally getting back to Aussie after a long absence!
Thanks, i'll be interested to hear your opinions in a couple of weeks Good luck
Old May 21st 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi.

As far as I am aware, IT recruitment is not a problem here in Brisbane. There are still plenty of jobs to be had (though it does depend on your OH's skill set?). How much longer that will last given the current global turmoil and predictions is anyones guess?
He is a SQL DBA, plenty of well paying work here for him, fingers crossed there will be in Oz. Thanks

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Whats changed - If you left 2 years ago you would probably be shocked at how much stuff has gone up, petrol, food, bills probably all the stuff thats gone up in the UK. IMO wages have not gone up, unemployments slightly up, the exchange rate from the UK is now worse, there is a new government, and the mode of the media is very doom and gloom mainly because interest rates continue to rise and are currently 9%. Personally I cant see the skys fell in , its pretty much exactly the same but far more expensive. IMO the worse thing is the health and education systems need serious injections of billions of dollars and are in pretty bad shape. The beach , the sun, big houses with pools and the cant be arsed woops mean laid back attitude are still here, good and bad as always.
Thanks Jad n rich, you're right, we are experiencing price rises in EVERYTHING here too so it doesnt come as a shock that Oz has become more expensive. That's certainly the feedback i have been getting from my Ozzie mates. I think the most "depressing" aspect of it all is the exchange rate

Originally Posted by Centurion
None of those problems are unique to Brisbane and are Australia wide. Since you were here last, increased traffic, increased housing costs, greater demands for rentals etc.

Stop the panic. The grass is always greener and people always whine. You'll be right.
Thanks, I'm sure we will, just getting the jitters! Didnt really experience that when i first moved there, probably because i was young, naive and child free

Originally Posted by achanginglife
Maybe your concerns are springing up because you have doubts about your ability to make the right decision after deciding to return back to Oz.
Be clear about the things you want, the lifestyle, the activities, the opportunities for your kids, get a specific list of everything you want, why you want it and how it will benefit you.
Then tick the boxes for each location and choose the best one. Once you have the confidence you know what you want and have picked a plce that gives you those things you might feel better.
Good luck
That's a really good point and an excellent idea, shall make a list tonight whilst listening to the drone of the football match (one thing i wont miss being back in Oz!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.