Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dotty - What do you do?

Dotty - What do you do?

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dotty - What do you do?

Dotty, Hope you don't mind me asking, but what exactly do you and your husband do as far as work etc out there. From some of your other posts I see that you rent property, and I read one of your posts about your sons taking up gardening and doing well in the holidays. And then there are other little snippets saying that you have to be tough with the type of people you have to deal with, so you aren't the sort of people that sit back and do nothing. You look as though you have your finger on the button, and I am genuinly very interested.

Whisky
Old Jul 4th 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty, posted this yesterday and have had to bring it forward.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Take ideas from the OZ market where we think its lagging behind the rest of the world. Then break into the market with usually "new" ideas for OZ. Have to be quite daring and take many a risk. Probably only for the bold but no grey hair yet.
Can be difficult as Ozzies are tight as hell with a dollar and love what is familiar but the openings are there.

Also bought up in property market, it looked severly undervalued in the late 90's. Like for many in the UK it paid handsomely.

My biggest tip, start small keep debt down to what you can afford to loose, some old bloke told me the first million is the hardest its true dont try to be Sir Branson in your first week. And be prepared to work in a Trade/cafe/bank whatever to pay the bills while you build your business up, long hours are necessary.

As Ive said before look at OZ's downsides, no better country in the world for the Entrepeneur because it happens here later than sooner. Dont say what job can OZ give me say what business can I give OZ.

Old Jul 4th 2003, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Dotty.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Take ideas from the OZ market where we think its lagging behind the rest of the world. Then break into the market with usually "new" ideas for OZ. Have to be quite daring and take many a risk. Probably only for the bold but no grey hair yet.
Can be difficult as Ozzies are tight as hell with a dollar and love what is familiar but the openings are there.

Also bought up in property market, it looked severly undervalued in the late 90's. Like for many in the UK it paid handsomely.

My biggest tip, start small keep debt down to what you can afford to loose, some old bloke told me the first million is the hardest its true dont try to be Sir Branson in your first week. And be prepared to work in a Trade/cafe/bank whatever to pay the bills while you build your business up, long hours are necessary.

As Ive said before look at OZ's downsides, no better country in the world for the Entrepeneur because it happens here later than sooner. Dont say what job can OZ give me say what business can I give OZ.

This post should at least quieten those who say "all you going back to the UK are losers" -

and before anyone slags me off, and accuses me of being "Dotty`s friend", I have never met her, but I do think that if someone like dotty prefers the UK to Oz, that in itself speaks volumes...
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with you rosy and thank god for small mercies!
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
I do think that if someone like dotty prefers the UK to Oz, that in itself speaks volumes...

Why is that then Rosy?

PC
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:55 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

This post should at least quieten those who say "all you going back to the UK are losers" -

and before anyone slags me off, and accuses me of being "Dotty`s friend", I have never met her, but I do think that if someone like dotty prefers the UK to Oz, that in itself speaks volumes...
I,ve said it before i move the dotty,s of this world , " they , come they see, they parasite" then the bugga of to their nest, ........... MM
Old Jul 4th 2003, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rosey. I asked this question to Dotty because although Dotty may now feel that she wants to return to the UK, she has not been there for five minutes. She has been there, worked very hard by the sounds of it and done as much as she can to try and make things work. She obviously has come to a time in her life and realises that she wants to return to the UK.

I admire her for giving it a good go, and I also admire her for realising that she now feels the need to return to the UK.
If after her return she posted and said that the UK wasn't what she thought it was and she was yet again returning, I would still admire her for her decision, because she doesn't seem the type of person that would sit about and wait for good things to come to her, she would be out there working at it.

I am not one of those people that turns round and says 'your a loser', or 'your a dreamer'. Life is one big experience, and we should go out there and experience it while we are able. Okay, there are many times in our life when we think - we shouldn't have done that - we shouldn't have gone there, etc etc. But that is what life is about, making decisions, doing things and learning by our mistakes, and realising that as we get older, what mattered to us 10 years ago, doesn't necessarily mean the same today.

Rosey, I know that you haven't been in Oz for long, but you have realised that it is not for you, and again I admire you for your decision. At least you have been out there and tried it. Are you planning to come back in the near future, or are you going to give it a bit longer?

You may not be happy at this moment in time, and from your recent post on here you sound very angry.
Ignore the stupid posts on here, they aren't worth it, and for you to rise to their 'LOSER' comments, they have got you where they want you. I too have risen to them in the past, but do not any longer. If they say anything that annoys me, I continue to follow the thread (or put them on ignore) and sit on my hands so that I can't reply and get into a long wasteful fight.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and if you want to PM me you are very welcome.

Whisky