Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doona's, Texta's and all things Ozzie

Doona's, Texta's and all things Ozzie

Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:17 pm
Merlot

Default Doona's, Texta's and all things Ozzie

For those over there how long did it take you to start "Walking the Talk"?

I was there 7 years and during that time I really felt I had become Australian with words I spoke, my approach in life, etc as this does happen. It is part of blending in and surviving.

What I have found completely amazing is my friends who moved there in November 2004 spouting "Aussie words" in their e-mails like they were going out of style. It actually didn't sound like them and quite fake, to the point of being really annoying.

I remember being really mindful when e-mailing or talking on the phone to those overseas/back in UK. I tried to use the words they would understand with the odd "heaps" or "no worries" chucked in.

When I came home and even now I do get people saying I still have a small twang with Ozzie words but I have not noticed. I think I have developed a hiddeous Teesside accent, mind me and the other half still say doona sets when we are together.

Is it normal to be like this? I can't remember that far back with how I was.

Your thoughts.

Merlot

Last edited by Merlot; Jan 19th 2005 at 3:18 pm. Reason: Miss out a word as should be working!

Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice
Default Re: Doona's, Texta's and all things Ozzie

I'm terrable for picking up "twangs" I used to work with a guy from Liverpool and people said I was starting to speak in a scouse accent. Same with a guy from Newcastle (UK). I must be easily influenced.
When I first returned from Oz I had that awfull intination at the end of sentences that sounded like I was asking a question.
Whilst in Australia I purchased a doona only to find out later much to my disapointment I'd bought a bloody quilt.

Scotty.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
For those over there how long did it take you to start "Walking the Talk"?

I was there 7 years and during that time I really felt I had become Australian with words I spoke, my approach in life, etc as this does happen. It is part of blending in and surviving.

What I have found completely amazing is my friends who moved there in November 2004 spouting "Aussie words" in their e-mails like they were going out of style. It actually didn't sound like them and quite fake, to the point of being really annoying.

I remember being really mindful when e-mailing or talking on the phone to those overseas/back in UK. I tried to use the words they would understand with the odd "heaps" or "no worries" chucked in.

When I came home and even now I do get people saying I still have a small twang with Ozzie words but I have not noticed. I think I have developed a hiddeous Teesside accent, mind me and the other half still say doona sets when we are together.

Is it normal to be like this? I can't remember that far back with how I was.

Your thoughts.

Merlot
You ever read that BADGE charachters posts? I think he has swallowed the Aussie slang dictionary! Surely its fake and probably looks silly to proper Aussies to be fair dinkiming it and no worries, beaut ute etc, whilst fresh from Heathrow?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Merlot, old habits die hard eh (BE, I mean)!

Well, been back 13 months, still respond to 'how are you?' with 'good thanks'; still ask for skinny milk in the coffee shop, still get picked up for saying 'yeah-no', and still shop for capsicums and zucchini (cos my fave recipe books are Australian, so this one is really hard to kick!). Oh and in December I sent hubby to the PO to renew the REGO!!

Should just about have learned to speak UK English again in time for the return to Oz !!

HP
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:55 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by eatstatic
You ever read that BADGE charachters posts? I think he has swallowed the Aussie slang dictionary! Surely its fake and probably looks silly to proper Aussies to be fair dinkiming it and no worries, beaut ute etc, whilst fresh from Heathrow?
Looks like you are about to start your next war eatstatic!!! :scared: I'll duck now before Badge gets on . . .

I have to say lovely friends these people it just got a little annoying in the e-mail as you could feel it was put on, not to mention their change in ego since they have landed in Australia.

I can't believe how people can change so much so quick, I am just waiting for them to be on the front cover of "Colonial Weekly" with their new attitude. Shame as they were down to earth nice folk before the move and probably still.

I have seen it so many times with expats when they come to Australia that "Hey, look at us we have made it" attitude - not all expats thankfully but enough to make you steer clear.

I wonder if that is the impression given off by Ozzie's on their arrival in the UK? I have to say I have not met many living so far north.

My 2 pence worth.

M

Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:00 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Merlot, old habits die hard eh (BE, I mean)!

Well, been back 13 months, still respond to 'how are you?' with 'good thanks'; still ask for skinny milk in the coffee shop, still get picked up for saying 'yeah-no', and still shop for capsicums and zucchini (cos my fave recipe books are Australian, so this one is really hard to kick!). Oh and in December I sent hubby to the PO to renew the REGO!!

Should just about have learned to speak UK English again in time for the return to Oz !!

HP
Hello Chicken

Hows thing's??? Yes old habits die hard, I have been back on to look for advice on cat shipping the other way and then you are hooked.

The recipe one is a good one as it is all in "cups", makes me have to think!!! I said rego at the garage this week when I went for the MOT as hubby was there too, oh dear.

What are your plans for return? I love being back but pig sick of these long dark days.

M x

Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:59 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

I'm Australian.. and have lived in the UK for 5+ years now.. and have nearly lost my aussie accent Also had to talk pommy so all my work mates could understand me... must have been all that inflection at the end of my sentences stuff!!! Picking up local Devon slang was another thing which helped wipe out my accent...

Did teach my British Hubby lots of Aussie words though, to 'prepare' him for life in Australia. He loves the word 'sook', and knows what thongs are in oz!! Also doonas, chooks, lamingtons, and he loves kangaroo steaks... etc etc etc... Will find out in a few months how he copes living in Oz.. and how long it takes to for me to sound Australian again!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
I'm Australian.. and have lived in the UK for 5+ years now.. and have nearly lost my aussie accent Also had to talk pommy so all my work mates could understand me... must have been all that inflection at the end of my sentences stuff!!! Picking up local Devon slang was another thing which helped wipe out my accent...

Did teach my British Hubby lots of Aussie words though, to 'prepare' him for life in Australia. He loves the word 'sook', and knows what thongs are in oz!! Also doonas, chooks, lamingtons, and he loves kangaroo steaks... etc etc etc... Will find out in a few months how he copes living in Oz.. and how long it takes to for me to sound Australian again!!
Brissiegirl I was in the same situation as you, but I lived in the UK for 10 years. Whenever I spoke to anyone in Oz on the phone, they all said that I talked posh.

I worked for a very large international company and we had lots of Ozzie visitors in our department so I always made a point of saying hello (mainly just to grab the cherry ripes that I'd asked them to bring over). They had no idea that I was an Ozzie until I told them, yet all of my english colleagues and friends could hear my ozzie accent!! Funny that

Since I've been back (16 months now) I've picked up a bit of my oz accent again, but I definitely think that I speak in a much more english manner than your average ozzie's drawl.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:21 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Doona's, Texta's and all things Ozzie

yeah, I get told I sound like a right pommy on the phone... all my family make fun of my accent, but like you, my British friends can hear my aussie twang still (not sure how!!).

I work at a University here, so do come across other Australians - but they are rather scarce in this neck of the woods. but it's always nice to talk about things other people understand.. like twisties, cherry ripes, chokito bars, pollywaffles, chiko babies, jaffas..... (why is it always food????) and to discuss/compare the beaches here to the ones back in Oz....

Will be mighty glad to sound like an aussie again...

Last edited by Brissiegirl; Jan 20th 2005 at 9:22 am. Reason: my spelling has gone up the creek without a paddle!!