Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dont ya just love the police

Wikiposts

dont ya just love the police

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:28 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dont ya just love the police

Hi Kala

I had same situation in UK before leaving - luckily I opened the mail because it had my company name in it I figured hey its addressed to me so Im opening it.

Plus I had prepared for my defense that receiving the volume of mail we do we open all of them without checking so hey sorry but we opened this guys too.

I phoned the companie(s) involved - asked to speak to fraud dept or failing that a supervisor/manager , get name, get date to speak to them again for follow up to find out what they've done etc. Asking them to cease& desist writing to me but also to explain that its nothign to do with me its fraudulent , thi sperson had no right to use the address etc and would they bear this in mind andmake sure that they didnt use my address on the debt-registers/credit registers.

They all responded favourably. just make sure you follow up with them etc to check they've heard what you said and done something!.

Good luck - this stuff is a nightmare. Just one of those things mate - deep breath - deal with the admin - and put it down to experience ;-)
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anyway you can have a note put on the credit rating agencies to separate you from this individual. I would also complain to your local MP.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:21 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I have just got back from 6 days away to find that some "really nice person" is using my address and business name for fraud

I wont go into full details as I am hoping that this will go further but I will give you the basics

Some person stayed here (I run a backpackers for those who dont know) a few months back the person was from South Africa and as far as we were concerned a traveller, said person (sorry about this but I dont want to specify the gender of the person) stayed for about 6 weeks over xmas. since this time we have been recieving letters to a completely different person some of which have said car of this persons surname and the type of company the persons father has in south africa followed by my business name.

we had been sending them back to sender and more recently throwing them away, then during my time away my hubby got peed off with them so oppened one, it was from a major Australian company chasing the person for over a grand for a bounced cheque. so hubby called them and informed them that the person they are addressing the letters to (we believe) doesn;t exist and the person they are looking for is bla bla bla. so this evening I get home and he tells me and we have one more letter that hasn't been thrown away so I opened it to find that another company are chasing the person for near on $6000. I called the police and was aksed to go and give a statement, so I get there and am told as no crime was commited against me?????????????????????????????/ my address, company name being used is not a crime against me. they are not interested and suggest I contact my bank to inform them that this person has nothing to do with me or my company and to put an advert in the West Australian stating that this person has nothing to do with me or my company. END OF STORY.

Are they taking the piss or what, I can get them so much evidence to find this person and they are not interested. I have told them that I will contact the senders of any future letters (which is up to 10 per week) and they said that I am not allowed to open the letters as they are not addressed to mel. So now I am the criminal. Yes there is only evidence of $7000 so far but had I kept all the other letters I dread to think how much this will run into.

I know it is not right to open other peoples mail however I do believe that in this situation it is acceptable and I will continue to open the letters so I can contact the companies and clear my name and also hope that one of the companies who have had fraud commited against them do something about it.

Sorry rant over but I am so pissed off about this, the police here have yet again let me down.

Kala
Hi kala i suggest you firstly talk to a good lawyer,he will explain your legal standing, then ring the Perth office of the federal police this person is an alien,commiting fraud ,im sure they will want to hear about it............... MM