Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't worry about snakes & spiders, these ar eworse!!

Don't worry about snakes & spiders, these ar eworse!!

Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Don't worry about snakes & spiders, these are worse!!

Well it is official my house is over run with MICE:scared:
Fortunately I am not scared of the buggers, but I do object to being kept awake half the night because of all the skuttling and scratching that is going on.

I have bought 3 mouse traps, have baited them with various snacks from cheese, to Peanut butter. The mice lick the bait off and the traps don't go off! The pests are pretty small so maybe they are too light for the traps. Saw 3 of them this morning skuttling across my lounge- yuk

I think they have made a nice cosy nest in amongst the PSS boxes in my garage, they then skoot in under the internal door, which for some bizaare reason had a 2 inch gap at the bottom of it!!!?

I have now resorted to buying poison sachets and have warned the kids not to eat it. Short of buying a cat, which I can't actually have in this house what else can I do???

Any top mouse killing tips????
Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:48 am
mickj

Default Re: Don't worry about snakes & spiders, these are worse!!

This might sound nasty, but in my travels, to parts of the world, i have seen people use a board with some glue on it, they then put some cooked meat on it, and as soon as the MICE/RAT steps on it, there you have.....Bob is your uncle.

I don't have mice problem, so never had to result to that method.

Originally posted by tinaj
Fortunately I am not scared of the buggers, but I do object to being kept awake half the night because of all the skuttling and scratching that is going on.

I have bought 3 mouse traps, have baited them with various snacks from cheese, to Peanut butter. The mice lick the bait off and the traps don't go off! The pests are pretty small so maybe they are too light for the traps. Saw 3 of them this morning skuttling across my lounge- yuk

I think they have made a nice cosy nest in amongst the PSS boxes in my garage, they then skoot in under the internal door, which for some bizaare reason had a 2 inch gap at the bottom of it!!!?

I have now resorted to buying poison sachets and have warned the kids not to eat it. Short of buying a cat, which I can't actually have in this house what else can I do???

Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

I guess you would have already thought about it, but what about calling pest control? if you rent your house, your real estate should pay for it.

fabie
Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Good ideas guys I hadn't thought of the glue on a board!!!!! I wonder if our agent is liable to pay as we are renting? If I can't get rid of the blighters this week I will let them know.

Mind you they might tell me to move all the boxes in the garage- but where to
Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally posted by mickj
This might sound nasty, but in my travels, to parts of the world, i have seen people use a board with some glue on it, they then put some cooked meat on it, and as soon as the MICE/RAT steps on it, there you have.....Bob is your uncle.

I don't have mice problem, so never had to result to that method.
Hi

Had this problem in Staffordshire a few years ago - tried all baits for traps - found that a small piece of chocolate worked best on a hairspring trap - averaged about 3 kills a night using four traps! the downside is the clearing up of the mess. Alternative is to use the usual warfarin based poison - they go and die in their nests then.
Don't worry about putting the poison down and the children. Just try to put it out of reach - well under furniture, behind kitchen units,under the washing machine, on a garage shelf etc - the mice will always find it!

Have fun

PETER
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Mind you they might tell me to move all the boxes in the garage- but where to
They may well say that, but also remember that cockroaches like cardboard boxes to breed in aswell.
Make sure the area that the boxes are in is well "pest controlled".

When I was a lot younger I used to sit waiting for mice with my air rifle

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:08 pm
mickj

I wonder if they like MARS, SNEAKERS, or HERSHEYS

Originally posted by Paylia
Hi

Had this problem in Staffordshire a few years ago - tried all baits for traps - found that a small piece of chocolate worked best on a hairspring trap - averaged about 3 kills a night using four traps! the downside is the clearing up of the mess. Alternative is to use the usual warfarin based poison - they go and die in their nests then.
Don't worry about putting the poison down and the children. Just try to put it out of reach - well under furniture, behind kitchen units,under the washing machine, on a garage shelf etc - the mice will always find it!

Have fun

PETER

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

tinaj

Well when i used to live on the gold coast (6 month ago) i remember that if we wanted to rent a house we had to get pest control treatment organised before we left. So maybe the people who rented it before you never got it done.

What I would do is definitly have a chat to the real estate (and maybe hide the boxex in your car when they come to inspect!!!)

fabie
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:16 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

1: I agree with Paylia: chocolate works well.

2: Get someone to plug that 2" gap.

3: Use humane traps (not because they're humane, but because they won't suffer from the "mouse is too light to trigger it" problem).

4: I agree with various people, if you're renting then it's not your responsibility to fix it, so ask the agent/landlord/whoever.

Or 5: adopt the mice as pets!
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, I found sth helpful:

CONDITION REPORT:
A full detailed Entry Condition Report is completed by our Property Management Division prior to tenants taking possession of the home. A copy of this report is sent to the property owner. Carpets must be cleaned prior to tenants moving in, lawns mowed and gardens tidy. It is the responsibility of the Lessor to have pest control done annually for cockroaches and spiders. However, if a tenant has a pet (approved and in accordance with their lease) they must arrange for flea control both internal and external when vacating the premises.

taken from : http://www.nfn.com.au/propmanag.htm

it comes from a real estate on the gold coast, but i am pretty sure they all work like that!

fabie
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all of your ideas.

Tried the chocolate and indeed the mice appreciated it ( half a Tim Tam!) but as I said the traps didn't go off and the bait was gone!

Any idea where you get these humane traps from? I have only seen the regular spring type around.

I will have to speak to the owner about covering tha gap at the bottom of the door as I will need to fix something on.

It was a new house when we moved in so definitely no mice before we came!

The poison is out I have put 5 sachets of the stuff down, lets hope they all have a feast on it tonight. There are no crumbs around at all so they will have to eat it if they are hungry.

p.s. I can't believe how much noise a mouse can make scratching around in your bedroom. I had some choccies in a cellophane wrapper on my desk and one of them had managed to climb up on the desk and was eating them. I was devastated at having to throw my chocs away.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:44 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. I can't believe how much noise a mouse can make scratching around in your bedroom. I had some choccies in a cellophane wrapper on my desk and one of them had managed to climb up on the desk and was eating them. I was devastated at having to throw my chocs away.
I used to have pet rats (really, they make great pets ) and their favourite nosh was cable insulation. How the hell they managed to chew through it and not get electrocuted I'll never know....
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:44 pm
mickj

Tina,

Can i also suggest you breakdown those boxes and make em flat, and try to put them on a shelf in the garage. Also do leave food lying around, they can smell it from miles away

Tried the chocolate and indeed the mice appreciated it ( half a Tim Tam!) but as I said the traps didn't go off and the bait was gone!

Any idea where you get these humane traps from? I have only seen the regular spring type around.

I will have to speak to the owner about covering tha gap at the bottom of the door as I will need to fix something on.

The poison is out I have put 5 sachets of the stuff down, lets hope they all have a feast on it tonight. There are no crumbs around at all so they will have to eat it if they are hungry.

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:45 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

tina,... try Pollster's Patented Humane Mouse Trap.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=mice+bucket
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:48 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

We have the same problem in wales , our cottage is full of them , got 4 traps placed in various places catching mice on a regular bases.
Did try the poison inh the trays , but the trouble is they eat the poison and then before its affective they've lose them selfs under the floor boards.....then you can't get to them .
After a couple of days the smells unbearable!

all the best plum ....get more traps...:scared:

ps excuse me while i kick me cats.......

Last edited by plumber; Jun 5th 2004 at 12:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.