Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't think we're going!

Don't think we're going!

Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of
Unhappy Don't think we're going!

When my OH was first asked to transfer to Sydney it felt like a door had opened and a flood of possibilities had arrived.

We figured we'd sell the house and move to Sydney where we'd rent for 4 years. Either keep the money from the house sale in the UK to re-invest in property should we return, or use it to property develop in Oz.

After 4 years we would either stay, move back to the UK or buy property in Portugal (a long standing dream of ours).

After all our research and weeks waiting to hear the full details of the offer from Sydney, they've come back with a salary thats a massive cut to his current package. Apparently they've used that cost of living calculator on gomatilda to give a like for like comparison, which is as useful as an icecube to an eskimo. It's brilliant if you're moving from London to Adelaide, but not from Manchester to Sydney! Despite this, we're a little bit that they'd even consider trying to reduce his salary, he's been with the company for 15 years, why on earth would he accept a pay cut of £16,000 If anything we were expecting an increase.

So it looks like the door opened, we saw, we drooled, and now it's closing.

If I'm not on again you'll know that they didn't come back with a sensible offer, and I don't want to come back on bleating about the injustice and sadness, I already feel like I've lost my sense of purpose.

Back to reality then, I really hope all your dreams come true.

Massive ((hugs)) to you all.

Cheryl
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:40 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Don't think we're going!

Bloody hell £16k is a big cut by any ones standards. If your not going tell them you want more or else. Got nothing to loose and you may get more out of it. It's all a game.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevenChez
When my OH was first asked to transfer to Sydney it felt like a door had opened and a flood of possibilities had arrived.

We figured we'd sell the house and move to Sydney where we'd rent for 4 years. Either keep the money from the house sale in the UK to re-invest in property should we return, or use it to property develop in Oz.

After 4 years we would either stay, move back to the UK or buy property in Portugal (a long standing dream of ours).

After all our research and weeks waiting to hear the full details of the offer from Sydney, they've come back with a salary thats a massive cut to his current package. Apparently they've used that cost of living calculator on gomatilda to give a like for like comparison, which is as useful as an icecube to an eskimo. It's brilliant if you're moving from London to Adelaide, but not from Manchester to Sydney! Despite this, we're a little bit that they'd even consider trying to reduce his salary, he's been with the company for 15 years, why on earth would he accept a pay cut of £16,000 If anything we were expecting an increase.

If I'm not on again you'll know that they didn't come back with a sensible offer, and I don't want to come back on bleating about the injustice and sadness, I already feel like I've lost my sense of purpose.

Cheryl
Tell them another company has offered you $30k more than they have

Isn't there any other way in for you, without the sponsorship from them?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I would point out that the cost of living calculator says its based on :-

"The calculator makes use of Purchasing Power Parity Statistics compiled by the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD - www.oecd.org) as at February 2001."

So basically the calculator is more or less completely useless. Its over 6 years old and the dynamic nature of the PPP statistics means that in actual fact now the statistics mean that you should basically near as darn it convert GBP salary by the exchange rate.

I'd point out that sensible business proposals about remuneration should probably not be based on an internet calculator which is wrong and outdated.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of

Hi Lenmil, tell me about it. OH replied by email last night diplomatically saying that although the position was still of interest he would not accept less than his current package. Our other worry is that the initial offer mirrors the seniority of the position, whereas my OH is currently in a senior management position, if the Oz position is anything less, or a 'background' management position, he'd not be happy, and stuck in a job your not happy with and unable to change because you're on a temp visa...

Hi Wendy, thanks hun. OH feels both disappointed but also that he might have had a 'close shave' with disaster. Oz may be a taboo subject for a while as far as OH is concerned. Not to worry though, I'm just about to surf the net to buy a bar in Portugal, I will get there, I'm bloody determined!

Centurion, I know, it boggles the brain doesn't it. This coming from the MD. It's just laughable. The guy hasn't replied to our email yet, so hopefully he's busy giving the package the due consideration it deserves. If it were a case of the position only pays that much, then ok, but it's an md saying he's considered the like for like and come up with x! Just unreal.

Actually, surfing the net and chatting is about to end. 3 yr old wants me to make her a hairdryer out of toilet rolls and egg boxes. Blue Peter and the soddin recycle box are a fatal mix!

Cxxxx
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Centurion, I know, it boggles the brain doesn't it. This coming from the MD. It's just laughable. The guy hasn't replied to our email yet, so hopefully he's busy giving the package the due consideration it deserves. If it were a case of the position only pays that much, then ok, but it's an md saying he's considered the like for like and come up with x! Just unreal.

Ah. That explains it then, a guy in a suit on a stupid wage that hasn't a bloody clue
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:23 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear this.Hopefully they will be up for negotiation as already said that calculator is rather outdated. But just wanted to say hello as i am up the road from you in Radcliffe x clare
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:36 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Can you ask someone on BE already in Sydney with same size family to kindly provide you with their average monthly outgoings-this would be something up to date you could show the "big boss". Maybe company were just hoping they could save some money-if given an accurate picture they should realise that this is not a possibility?? Good luck
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:42 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Can you ask someone on BE already in Sydney with same size family to kindly provide you with their average monthly outgoings-this would be something up to date you could show the "big boss". Maybe company were just hoping they could save some money-if given an accurate picture they should realise that this is not a possibility?? Good luck
Yeh, but. If you take a salary thats less than it's pound for dollar equivilent you will find it very hard to ever move back.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:49 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Yeh, but. If you take a salary thats less than it's pound for dollar equivilent you will find it very hard to ever move back.
I was just thinking that if they can show that cost of living in Sydney can be more or less same as Manchester in many respects it would backup the fact that he should stay on the same wage- or more as it is a big move with lots of stuff to organise and inconveniences and there should be some incentives (other than sunshine!)
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:19 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Five years ago I got a transfer. Reading, Berkshire to Sydney. Dropped around 13K in Salary and hubby gave up job and didn't get an equivalent job for over three years.

The first three year were very tough, especially as the tax rates here five years ago you paid top rate for anything over $62K.

Just to say we worked hard and now on a far different standard of living than we could of expected in UK. I am the first one to say it is not necessarily better but boy the sense of achivement at times gives me a buzz.

Five years in......three out of four of us love it, I am just about to take another more challenging job. But my advice to anyone middle income range, if the deal will mean a drop in salary that would annoy rather than challenge you. DO not do it, it can be very very demoralising and caused me no end of depression during those first years and have left me with a level of disappointment in Australia that may still take a fair amount of time to get rid of.

We came to change and challenge ourselves. We got that in bucket loads. But in pound terms we will never be back to the same level we where in the UK but that is most possibly down to house price rises in the UK in the last five years. We sold a house at UK268K that would now cost us UK425K to buy back. Our Aus house has only risen $100K in that same period.

Consider renting out your UK house and organising a get out clause back to UK after 18 months - that way you may get a really different taste of life without some of the inreversible decisions.

Cheers
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:23 pm
Banned

jasminejones is an unknown quantity at this point

You must be really really gutted!

16k is a massive drop. I suppose you just have to way up what's important to you. if it's meant to happen it will.

Can he negotiate with them at all? If they met half way would it still be worth considering? Why not look for another job?

Jasmine
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cheryl
Tell them to shove their job and emigrate out here. Simple as.

It's only a job.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Location: Living in cold, wet Wales. Hoping to move to Adelaide in September 2012
hannybabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Don't think we're going!

Cheryl

Hey there,

Just wanting to say Hi really... If it is meant to be then the door is not closed... Hope the MD comes back with a sensible offer... however, if you want your dream... sometimes you have to fight for it!!! Don't give up!!!

Hugs Good luck!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Consider renting out your UK house and organising a get out clause back to UK after 18 months - that way you may get a really different taste of life without some of the inreversible decisions.
Cheers
Very good advice that.
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.