Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't think its a piece of cake!!!

Don't think its a piece of cake!!!

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:05 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by tinaj
Yafm, did PSS tell you to put alike stuff together? I am going off of them now! I won't be doing this as I will still be at work when they come so I wont have the time.

Hope it all goes well for you. When are the packers coming?

Their letter suggested that it would assist if we put like for like and I thought as we were a tight fit it would be better to have all the similar items as they requested and then they would be able to utilise the space in boxes to the best capacity I am sure if you did not want to do this it would not matter. When the rep quoted he insisted that he did each room separately as it came and would not collate all the books and glasses etc as one.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

With my piles of books they didn't fill whole boxes with books (or if they did, only small ones) as they would have been too heavy, so it shouldn't matter too much. If they had something left over from one room they just carried it on to the next.

I couldn't stand and do nothing either so I got to pack all my own clothes (did me own undies!). There were some boxes up in the roof we'd already packed and they looked at them to make sure we'd done them right and labelled them up (I checked and they were still covered by the insurance).

Felt guilty about our movers as we had so many bits & pieces and not much large stuff so it took a lot longer than anticipated. It was a Friday and well into the evening before they left. Did give them a big tip each though.

Best of luck with the packing,

Loopy
Old Nov 4th 2003, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,Our stuff is due to arrive in port adelaide this weekend which seems pretty quick,although who knows how long for customs clearance.Does anybody know whether International transport services of camden park are any good as they are dealing with our shipment on this side.A tip for those still to pack their belongings,If they say they give you a discount for every sq ft you pack yourself,it does`nt work out as good as it sounds.We were a bit silly and spent ages packing 53 casesor boxes for a discount of £136 pounds.It took a lot of work and must have saved the shippers a fortune.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't think its a piece of cake!!!

Originally posted by mr mover
What our we yer bloody mother!.:scared: .... MM
Hey MM we moved an old lady some years ago to Scotland,we knocked on the door at 9 o'clock to be greeted with her in her nightie,she asked us to wait until she had had breakfast.When we eventually got inside she had done absolutely nothing.We had dishes to do before we packed it,some of the undescribable things in her dirty washing:scared: I couldn't begin to describe.
This woman came from a very wealthy area as well.

Probably the worst thing my mate could have said to her was "don't worry love we'll do the lot for you"
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:06 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Expected the boys at 10.00 as told by their Manager They arrived at 7.45 rairing to go. Very good workers won't stop at all except for coffee on the run. Most helpful. Looks like the container will be here 10.00 tomorrow and gone shortly thereafter if they continue to work at this rate. They only stopped for 15 minutes for fish and chips for lunch!
I recommend PPS in every way so far. If Kents in australia are as good we should be ok all round.
They are letting me keep the TV and the computer until tomorrow morning so will keep you posted until last minute.

Had some good news on the flat buying front may be able to exchange before we leave UK which would be a weight off our minds. The seller has already let the two rental agents around to see the place before we have even exchanged. Great to have co-operation all round.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great news Yafm, They sound very efficient, I hope I get the same guys round here in a few weeks! Can you remember their names?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:02 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Great news Yafm, They sound very efficient, I hope I get the same guys round here in a few weeks! Can you remember their names?
We had a great Irish guy called Sean, and a not so great New Zealander called Ron. If you get Ron, make sure you make it perfectly clear what's going and what's staying. He even packed our penny jar. What use are 2p coins in Australia?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:02 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jockney
Hi,Our stuff is due to arrive in port adelaide this weekend which seems pretty quick,although who knows how long for customs clearance.Does anybody know whether International transport services of camden park are any good as they are dealing with our shipment on this side.A tip for those still to pack their belongings,If they say they give you a discount for every sq ft you pack yourself,it does`nt work out as good as it sounds.We were a bit silly and spent ages packing 53 casesor boxes for a discount of £136 pounds.It took a lot of work and must have saved the shippers a fortune.
I.T.S on Mooringie ave? there all the guys that Grace, adelaide got rid of:scared: . only joking they,re ok...... MM
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:06 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't think its a piece of cake!!!

Originally posted by chris hogan
Hey MM we moved an old lady some years ago to Scotland,we knocked on the door at 9 o'clock to be greeted with her in her nightie,she asked us to wait until she had had breakfast.When we eventually got inside she had done absolutely nothing.We had dishes to do before we packed it,some of the undescribable things in her dirty washing:scared: I couldn't begin to describe.
This woman came from a very wealthy area as well.

Probably the worst thing my mate could have said to her was "don't worry love we'll do the lot for you"
yes chris , been there done that. its seems the more money they have, the more eccentric they can be,............ MM
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Chris & Mr mover I thought they could wait till I have got dressed and had my breakfast first What they don;t do the cleaning as well

With your help Mr mover and advice from Crown Relocations who we are going with, the girl said just leave everything we are taking where it is, don't touch anything.

So me is just cleaning and throwing away, the sorting what I need once we are out of the Flat until we leave good approx 3 months, now that is confusing.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tempory visa & Shipping

We are going to Oz on tempory 4 year visa. we presumed we would be able to ship all our worldly goods, but now things are on the move and we need to get organising, does anyone know if shipping is possible if we only have a tempory visa. we are hoping to apply for permanent residency once there.

Stef x

Brisbane bound