Reload this Page >

Dont speed in NSW!!!

Dont speed in NSW!!!

Old May 29th 2009, 6:04 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dont speed in NSW!!!

Originally Posted by copa
I think road deaths per kms travelled is a far more nuanced and useful stat than a basic deaths per 100,000 figure..
Unless they have GPS tracking devices installed on each and every vehicle, it is impossible to accurately calculate kms/miles travelled. It is an approximation and intangible. Per capita is accurate and tangible.
Old May 29th 2009, 6:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm
You can drive for thousands of Kms in Australia and not see a soul and figures per km/miles doesn't take into consideration density.
But how many do ? You can also do that in Germany and the UK just as easily, if you really want to.

But in all 3 countries most people tend to do most driving in urban areas.

Another way to look at it is..

In the UK 3,172 people were killed on the road in 2006.
5,091 were killed in Germany
335 were killed in QLD

Those figures do for me as I don't leave QLD, so the other States are irrelavent.

And I feel very safe here now....

Old May 29th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I disagree with that..
I have driven drunk.
0.0001% OVER the limit, and I am sure I was just as good as the person that was 0.0001% UNDER the limit, actually probably even better, as my alchohol tolerance was much higher than average as I did it all the time.
You raise a valid point chap - the same as speeding, in that if you were 0.0001% over you would be no different to someone who was the same under. However, I would much rather the drink drive limit was 0% then it's an easy one to handle. You drink and you don't drive. Simple.

The key thing is that some people say the limit is right, and just going over is wrong and yet by what you just said, there was far more likelihood of you killing a child because of this. But it is never this easy...

I know how to control a car and know my own capabilities. I drive within them. I remain in control regardless of the speed I am doing.

If ever under the influence, which I do not do, I lose much of that control and thus become a far worse driver.

The whole speed kills is crazy since a drunk driver has a far greater risk of killing someone through impairment than a person speeding over the limit. Yet, while Australia (or Vic) has the right approach in random breath tests, it's a lot easier to set up a speed camera to catch people and rake in cash. They have yet to invent a drink driving breathalyser that will do it without police intervention...
Old May 29th 2009, 6:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by slipshot
The key thing is that some people say the limit is right
It all comes down to the fact that there have to be limits, and it has to be an 'average' limit, to cater for the 'average' driver.

They could set the limits lower, to cater for the not so clever drivers, but they can't really raise them to cater for the good drivers.

An ideal limit would be say 80kph for under 25's with one yrs driving exp, or 90kph if they have 3 yrs exp, and then 100kph for 25-40 yrs old with.... but then what about 41 yr olds......

Whether we like it or not, limits are set, and we have to follow them.

Until of course someone comes up with a better system that works.... over to you ....

Old May 29th 2009, 6:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It all comes down to the fact that there have to be limits, and it has to be an 'average' limit, to cater for the 'average' driver.

They could set the limits lower, to cater for the not so clever drivers, but they can't really raise them to cater for the good drivers.

An ideal limit would be say 80kph for under 25's with one yrs driving exp, or 90kph if they have 3 yrs exp, and then 100kph for 25-40 yrs old with.... but then what about 41 yr olds......

Until of course someone comes up with a better system that works.... over to you ....
I was planning on saying something like that. Whilst I don't actually believe that it is speed itself that causes accidents, what are you going to do? Let people drive as fast as they believe they are suitably capable of doing? Everyone thinks they are The Stig - especially after a few pints.
Old May 29th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Fully understand and I know that. There is no easy answer.

However, I was being vilified for saying it is OK to speed and thus I was happy to respond. I take it on the chin and understand there has to be limits. I do not have to follow them and that's OK for me, since unless we all have black boxes in our cars and lives controlling us, people will always varyu from the norm or the establishment.

I do it because I know I can. People telling me I make them sick is not only incorrect (try my cooking, that makes you sick) but shows them to be ignorant of many things.

Your points and valid and well made. Good banter...
Old May 29th 2009, 7:17 am
Account Closed

But how many do ? You can also do that in Germany and the UK just as easily, if you really want to.

But in all 3 countries most people tend to do most driving in urban areas.

Another way to look at it is..

In the UK 3,172 people were killed on the road in 2006.
5,091 were killed in Germany
335 were killed in QLD

Those figures do for me as I don't leave QLD, so the other States are irrelavent.

And I feel very safe here now....
You could look at it that way but the figures are unrelated. To make any sense they must be relative to each other.

Germany population: 82 mil/5091 fatalities-> 16107:1 of getting in a fatal accident
UK Pop: 61 mil/3172 fatalities -> 19230:1 chance of getting into a fatal accident
QLD pop: 4 mil/335 fatalities -> 11940:1 chance of getting into a fatal accident

Do you feel as safe now?
Old May 29th 2009, 7:18 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm always amazed when people trot out F1 examples in the old speeding debate. People always mention drivers like Jenson Button but never Ayrton Senna.

Like F1 applies. Everyone is driving the same way, there's no pedestrians, other hazards (usually) and only 2 side junctions.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:19 am
Account Closed

You could look at it that way but the figures are unrelated. To make any sense they must be relative to each other.

Germany population: 82 mil/5091 fatalities-> 16107:1 of getting in a fatal accident
UK Pop: 61 mil/3172 fatalities -> 19230:1 chance of getting into a fatal accident
QLD pop: 4 mil/335 fatalities -> 11940:1 chance of getting into a fatal accident

Do you feel as safe now?
On German trains? Yes.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
On German trains? Yes.
You know what we are talking about.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:28 am
Account Closed

I'm always amazed when people trot out F1 examples in the old speeding debate. People always mention drivers like Jenson Button but never Ayrton Senna.

Like F1 applies. Everyone is driving the same way, there's no pedestrians, other hazards (usually) and only 2 side junctions.
That's because Jensen Botton... errr Jenson Button is easier to spell.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Did speed kill Senna - no, a part of the suspension arm that broke killed him, following an accident with the wall. Exact cause still unknown but generally points to an error/problem with the car rather than the driving.

And F1 has hazards - remember the mentalists priest who was in the news again recently who walked on Silverstone's circuit, or the German Mercedes protester?
Old May 29th 2009, 7:30 am
Account Closed

You know what we are talking about.
Yeah I do.

The whole German thing is a furphey. Most accidents happen in an urban setting and the Aussie urban speed limits are higher than the German ones. Doesn't really matter about the autobahn.

Personally having been in a car doing 220kph which was being driven right up the arse of the car in front, I can say I would rather be driving in Victoria.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slipshot
Did speed kill Senna - no, a part of the suspension arm that broke killed him, following an accident with the wall. Exact cause still unknown but generally points to an error/problem with the car rather than the driving.

And F1 has hazards - remember the mentalists priest who was in the news again recently who walked on Silverstone's circuit, or the German Mercedes protester?
The unexpected happens. The faster you go the less likely you are to survive. Even if you are a really good driver.

That's why I put (usually).
Old May 29th 2009, 7:36 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Personally having been in a car doing 220kph which was being driven right up the arse of the car in front, I can say I would rather be driving in Victoria.
I can see Australian astronauts of the future, traveling around earth in their respective spacecraft at 18,000mph and still only having a couple of feet of separation between each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.