Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dont speed in NSW!!!

Dont speed in NSW!!!

Old May 28th 2009, 2:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dont speed in NSW!!!

My Mrs gets more than her fair share of speeding tickets - the last was for $700 and just like the OP the nice copper actually let her off a couple of K's which would otherwise have meant a ban.

I've even had to pretend I was driving once when she was pinged by a speed camera so she wouldn't lose here license. That's true love!
Old May 28th 2009, 2:44 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Slight exaggeration - Louie is completely correct and I agree with him/her.

Speeding does not kill. Inapproapriate use of speed kills. Big difference. Any decent driver known the limits of themselves and their car and the conditions - and that means schools etc should be rigoursly enforced for speeding. How come I NEVER see a camera around my kids schools, yet on the open roads when people are more likely to, and where it is safe to do so, the cops are there lying in wait? Because they catch people to raise cash where they can and because they know they can - two cops raking in $10,000 a day is far better than two cops, by a school, raking in $1000 a day. Figures are made up but the gist is there.

143 in an 80 may be excessive but if it was an open road, middle of the night, no cars, dry, clear etc etc it was perfectly safe.

Likewise, the argument of speed limits, while needed of course, basically says that at 80 kph you'll not kill anyone and are safe - but hit 81 and you deserve to die you evil person as you are speeding.

Common sense needs to be applied.

As some of the recent visitors here stated 'wipe off 5, add on 1' (one being the middle finger)... like the UK, a load of nonsense spouted to justify the continually increasing speeding fines...
Maybe the continued increase in speeding fines is directly proportionate to idiots who still think that 143kph in an 80 limit is safe because "the roads are clear, no cars, dry" etc...

Common sense does need to be applied I would agree. Common sense tells me that if I choose to willingly and knowingly exceed a speed limit I deserve everything I get and then some.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:16 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Maybe the continued increase in speeding fines is directly proportionate to idiots who still think that 143kph in an 80 limit is safe because "the roads are clear, no cars, dry" etc...

Common sense does need to be applied I would agree. Common sense tells me that if I choose to willingly and knowingly exceed a speed limit I deserve everything I get and then some.

Its almost as though some people want to re-write the driving laws to suit themselves and it beggars belief.

I have heard the old saying from some of my colleagues 'Oh the speed limits are crap/unsafe, I can control speed, Oh whats a cow/sheep/person doing in that country lane' The usual shit that gets spouted.

The laws are there for a reason and as you say, if people choose to pick their own speed that they like instead of abiding by the law then they cannot complain about the penalty if they are caught.

Or perhaps they have their own 'special powers' to control speed, ones that dont need to take into consideration stopping distances.

I wonder how many of those people that believe that speeding is acceptable, would change their opinion if one day perhaps their son/daughter/husband/wife was walking down one of those 'quiet country roads' and was taken out by someone with his own rules for speeding.

Or perhaps they might, just might be of the belief that 'they shouldnt have been there in the first place'.

Somehow I doubt it.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The current speed limits are a relic of the days when cars had drum brakes and bubble tyres. I have no issue whatsoever with reduced speed limits in built up areas, in fact I wouldn't complain if the standard 50kph in towns was dropped further. But out on the freeway, 100kph is a ludicrously slow speed limit which takes no account of the fact that cars have changed dramatically over the last 30 years.
Old May 28th 2009, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch
The current speed limits are a relic of the days when cars had drum brakes and bubble tyres. I have no issue whatsoever with reduced speed limits in built up areas, in fact I wouldn't complain if the standard 50kph in towns was dropped further. But out on the freeway, 100kph is a ludicrously slow speed limit which takes no account of the fact that cars have changed dramatically over the last 30 years.
Some cars might have changed over the past 30 years but there is a hell of a lot of Shite vehicles still out there that should have be shipped off to the scrap yard years ago. If the states introduced strict inspections (and I mean strict) that would enable all the rust buckets to be taken out of circulation, then prehaps the speed limits might be addressed.

Barney
Old May 28th 2009, 7:33 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by POW148
Some cars might have changed over the past 30 years but there is a hell of a lot of Shite vehicles still out there that should have be shipped off to the scrap yard years ago. If the states introduced strict inspections (and I mean strict) that would enable all the rust buckets to be taken out of circulation, then prehaps the speed limits might be addressed.

Barney
Given the higher accident rate in NSW, where they have annual inspections, compared to Vic, where they don't have them, I'm not sure this theory stacks up.

The main reason for speed limits is that most people over estimate their ability to control a car.
Old May 28th 2009, 7:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

But it's all irrelevant. The rules is the rules and them that enforces the rules are in charge. If someone gets caught, they get fined regardless of whether the speed limit is considered outdated or if the car is top spec.
Old May 28th 2009, 8:48 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

They sit in our driveway just to catch people, so sneaky
Old May 28th 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Given the higher accident rate in NSW, where they have annual inspections, compared to Vic, where they don't have them, I'm not sure this theory stacks up.

The main reason for speed limits is that most people over estimate their ability to control a car.
I stay with my vehicle when getting inspected and I can assure you that the vehicle inspections in NSW are not worth the paper they are written on. The inspector only really checks the VIN and Engine numbers. Visual check on tyres and lights and a quick brake/road test.

I would not be using that sort of inspection as proof of roadworthiness when buying a vehicle.

Barney
Old May 28th 2009, 9:53 am
Just Joined

vicderbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taylor25
I am fuming with my WORST HALF at the moment, a few weeks ago he got a sppeding fine for about $320, (caught by police with a radar) i was angry, but paid and let it go................breathe...breathe

Tonight he comes home with a fine for $621, and a 3 month ban!!!!!! ( again police with radar, they let him off a km, otherwise it would of been over been $1600 and a 6 month ban) he was doing 124 in an 80 zone,.......believe me no excuse, i am so annoyed, the main part of his job is driving!!!!!! so now i am going to have to get our 4 year old up at god knows what time and take him to work (if they keep him on!!!!!!)

I am most angry at the speeding and that he could of killed someone and he selfishness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

argggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Please Please dont speed, for the one and only reason that it kills people, if you get a fine, then good its what u deserve, which is exactly what i said to my WORSE half!!
I'm still p****d off at my sixty four dollar fine for parking the wrong way in a country town in Victoria. Who came up with this rule.
Old May 28th 2009, 9:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicderbyshire
I'm still p****d off at my sixty four dollar fine for parking the wrong way in a country town in Victoria. Who came up with this rule.
It's the rule in the UK. They just don't enforce it. I would suggest you pick up a copy of your state's driving rules. There's a few that can catch you out.
Old May 28th 2009, 10:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicderbyshire
Pulling out when you are parking against the flow is dangerous that is why the rule was made. You cannot see from the drivers side clearly enough particularly if you have large vehicles in front and behind to pull out safely across 2 lanes of traffic.
Old May 28th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Pulling out when you are parking against the flow is dangerous that is why the rule was made. You cannot see from the drivers side clearly enough particularly if you have large vehicles in front and behind to pull out safely across 2 lanes of traffic.
Oh I see I thought it was to make the roads look neat and uniform
Old May 28th 2009, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by POW148
I stay with my vehicle when getting inspected and I can assure you that the vehicle inspections in NSW are not worth the paper they are written on. The inspector only really checks the VIN and Engine numbers. Visual check on tyres and lights and a quick brake/road test.

I would not be using that sort of inspection as proof of roadworthiness when buying a vehicle.

Barney
I still don't buy the theory that yearly checks, even to the standard of the UK MOT, are going to significantly reduce the road toll. All it'll do is add yet another stealth tax onto the motorist, many of whom will have already kept their car roadworthy through servicing.
Old May 28th 2009, 12:21 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not much as a % of the total speeding fines...

04 May 2009
Figures seen by the Daily Telegraph show a total of 14.7 million speeding tickets have been handed out since 1997, raising some £840 million in the process
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...every-day.html

What about this comment...

That $20M mentioned earlier was Net after expenses, the gross figure was £112.2M
All correct, I'm sure. The point is that the money cllected from speeding fines is a drop in the ocean and not a terribly effective revenue stream. People get fined to encourage/force them to stop speeding, not because it's a money-making excercise.

- CDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.