Reload this Page >

DOn't know where to start/ Environmental health Jobs in Australia

DOn't know where to start/ Environmental health Jobs in Australia

Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Missy m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DOn't know where to start/ Environmental health Jobs in Australia

HI All

I am new to the forum and also new to the idea of moving to Australia.

A bit about me. I am an environmental health officer majoring in food safety. I have over 6 years combined experience. Due to me having my son who was born 10 weeks early nearly 3 years ago, I had to give up my job because he was born with an array of health issues. He is now on the mend and I am able to go back to work full time. However, since I have been out of the working environment and the economic downturn I am have a really hard time getting back where I left off. I have been for over 15 interviews in my field and on all occasions I have come 2nd only to be told that I have not done anything wrong and if it had been a year or 2 ago they would have snapped me up but it is just the sign of the times. The people that they did recruit had a few more years experience than I had. I am at my wits end, I know it is hard for everyone but I am very frustrated having worked so hard in the condition I was in (that is another story in itself) and don’t know what to do. I do the odd week with an environmental health agency but even with those they favour those with over 15 year experience something which I can’t compete with. If it was a case of I need more qualifications I would gladly study again but I am being told time and time again I did an excellent interview.

Anyway, I have met a few Australian EHOs over here in the UK travelling who have said that there is such a shortage of EHOs in Australia and why do I not try my luck out there. My husband is very supportive and would love for me to go for 6 months or so to see if I like it and if so he and my son would follow.

My question is where do I start, I have no idea which visa I may need, am I too old i'll be 32 in a few weeks, can any company sponsor me or will they be willing to sponsor me, I have no clue. I am willing to go where I need to in order to work now.

Anyone who can offer any guidance and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:13 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DOn't know where to start/ Environmental health Jobs in Australia

Originally Posted by Missy m
HI All

I am new to the forum and also new to the idea of moving to Australia.

A bit about me. I am an environmental health officer majoring in food safety. I have over 6 years combined experience. Due to me having my son who was born 10 weeks early nearly 3 years ago, I had to give up my job because he was born with an array of health issues. He is now on the mend and I am able to go back to work full time. However, since I have been out of the working environment and the economic downturn I am have a really hard time getting back where I left off. I have been for over 15 interviews in my field and on all occasions I have come 2nd only to be told that I have not done anything wrong and if it had been a year or 2 ago they would have snapped me up but it is just the sign of the times. The people that they did recruit had a few more years experience than I had. I am at my wits end, I know it is hard for everyone but I am very frustrated having worked so hard in the condition I was in (that is another story in itself) and don’t know what to do. I do the odd week with an environmental health agency but even with those they favour those with over 15 year experience something which I can’t compete with. If it was a case of I need more qualifications I would gladly study again but I am being told time and time again I did an excellent interview.

Anyway, I have met a few Australian EHOs over here in the UK travelling who have said that there is such a shortage of EHOs in Australia and why do I not try my luck out there. My husband is very supportive and would love for me to go for 6 months or so to see if I like it and if so he and my son would follow.

My question is where do I start, I have no idea which visa I may need, am I too old i'll be 32 in a few weeks, can any company sponsor me or will they be willing to sponsor me, I have no clue. I am willing to go where I need to in order to work now.

Anyone who can offer any guidance and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hi missy m

Welcome to the forum

EH is very much in demand in Australia especially if you are willing to live or work in a mining town. For jobs I would contact any of the big mining co like BHP and Rio Tinto or have a look on www.seek.com.au

As for visa's you might want to take a look at the immi forum.

Feel free to give me a shout if I can help with anything else.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Missy m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DOn't know where to start/ Environmental health Jobs in Australia

Hi kelli

thanks for responding. I have had a quick look at the seek site there are loads of jobs on there I will email a few tonight when I get home and I'll look at the immi site

Thanks again