Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't knock advice

Don't knock advice

Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Don't knock advice

I had hoped that my recent reply was a balanced view of how I had found Australia - the good, the bad and the indifferent. It was a PERSONAL view, and the advice I gave was intended to HELP people who are in the process of emigrating. It was NOT a NEGATIVE reply.

Nicky - yes, I'm sure when you were "travelling" in Oz you found people very friendly - I've usually found that the case when I'm a tourist, spending my money in their country. However, until you actually come out here and LIVE (i.e. try and integrate into the aussie way of life, working etc.) you will never appreciate the difference.

If I have helped ONE person avoid the stress I have been through, then my posting will have been worthwhile.

Dotty - I am in Brisbane too - Bayside Suburbs (Capalaba)
Old Aug 31st 2002, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Don't knock advice

Hi Pommie Sheila, I wondered if you were in Brisbane. We are actually going to a wedding over your way next weekend, (Husbands nephew lives in Capalaba), wedding at Victoria Point. Anyway hope your having a better time of it now, what business are you after? Dont worry about people knocking your advice/point of view, I know they will remember our advice once they get here. Good luck with it all. If you have kids, have you taken them to Dreamworld (Gold Coast) yet, Mcdonalds have good discount vouchers at the moment its usually about $200 a family but adults half price at the mo. Its quite a good day out before the weather turns too hot, would probably cheer you up a bit.
Old Sep 1st 2002, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty:
Hi Pommie Sheila, I wondered if you were in Brisbane. We are actually going to a wedding over your way next weekend, (Husbands nephew lives in Capalaba), wedding at Victoria Point. Anyway hope your having a better time of it now, what business are you after? Dont worry about people knocking your advice/point of view, I know they will remember our advice once they get here. Good luck with it all. If you have kids, have you taken them to Dreamworld (Gold Coast) yet, Mcdonalds have good discount vouchers at the moment its usually about $200 a family but adults half price at the mo. Its quite a good day out before the weather turns too hot, would probably cheer you up a bit.
Thanks for the Dreamworld tip Dotty - I'll take the kids to McDs and get some tickets!!!

Which part of Brisbane are you in???
Old Sep 1st 2002, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Which part of Brisbane are you in??? [/QUOTE]

Clayfield, (we bought there before the prices went up tho), Houses around here are going up, some in the 600/700 bracket now. we also spend a bit of time on the Sunshine Coast (Alexandra Headland), as we have a lot of Business there, gets confusing sometimes.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 11:20 am
Chris

"dotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If you have kids, have you taken them to Dreamworld (Gold Coast) yet, Mcdonalds
    > have good discount vouchers at the moment its usually about $200 a family but
    > adults half price at the mo. Its quite a good day out before the weather turns too
    > hot, would probably cheer you up a bit.

Dreamworld's a bit of a rip off (as are most theme parks). Do it once every five
years and it won't hurt too bad. The only thing that makes them feel cheap, is the
even worse feeling of being ripped off at a Japanese theme park where you pay the
entry fee (similar to here) and then the per-ride fee. Ouch.

Chris

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Don't knock advice

I have lived in Australia (3 years) as well as travelling and working in Oz in 98. I loved working in Australia and to walk to work in the sunshine and have lunch outside was bliss (i was in Brisbane, living in Lutwyche). I understand your comments are meant to assist, rather than put people off but we all have fears and this sort of site helps us to stay posituve when the wait feels like it will never end.

Please also therefoe understand our points of view and i must admit i have left this site feeling very frightened with all the negativity coming across.

Nicky

Originally posted by pommiesheila:
I had hoped that my recent reply was a balanced view of how I had found Australia - the good, the bad and the indifferent. It was a PERSONAL view, and the advice I gave was intended to HELP people who are in the process of emigrating. It was NOT a NEGATIVE reply.

Nicky - yes, I'm sure when you were "travelling" in Oz you found people very friendly - I've usually found that the case when I'm a tourist, spending my money in their country. However, until you actually come out here and LIVE (i.e. try and integrate into the aussie way of life, working etc.) you will never appreciate the difference.

If I have helped ONE person avoid the stress I have been through, then my posting will have been worthwhile.

Dotty - I am in Brisbane too - Bayside Suburbs (Capalaba)
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 8:43 pm
Robert Edwards

There are often (very often) cheapies going either through Travel Agencies, Bus Lines
or Hotels.....Dreamworld to some may appear to be a rip off but it is by far the most
popular of the Theme Parks on the Gold Coast (I live here) with the free roaming
Tigers which are exceptionally popular, and Sea World which now has an incredible
open and underwater Polar Bear enclosure with four bears, kids love it and I guess
that's the main thing.

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com.au

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 9:22 pm
Jaj

There are about two people posting to this group who have obviously nothing better to
do in life than share their loathing of Australia. As they don't put across any kind
of balanced view - and have *nothing* positive to say about Australia, I would
suggest ignoring them.

You'll find many more people who have no regrets at all about making the move.

If you're unsure whether you'll stay then by all means consider options like keeping
your house in the UK. But I hope no-one seriously considers abandoning their dream
just because of two whingers who obviously didn't find whatever *they* were looking
for in Australia.

In your case if you've lived to Australia before you're in a very good position to
know whether or not it's for you.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 12:02:47 +0000, NickyTurner <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have lived in Australia (3 years) as well as travelling and working in Oz in
    >98. I loved working in Australia and to walk to work in the sunshine and have
    >lunch outside was bliss (i was in Brisbane, living in Lutwyche). I understand
    >your comments are meant to assist, rather than put people off but we all have
    >fears and this sort of site helps us to stay posituve when the wait feels like it
    >will never end.
    >Please also therefoe understand our points of view and i must admit i have left this
    >site feeling very frightened with all the negativity coming across.
    >Nicky

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

geehaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Jaj, well said sir!

One does wonder why they bother...

Geehaf

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaj:
There are about two people posting to this group who have obviously nothing better to
do in life than share their loathing of Australia. As they don't put across any kind
suggest ignoring them.
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

why do you guys bother knocking these people.
Personally I think Dotty, PommieSheila and Pommiebastard
are some of the few people on this website who talk any sense at all. If they upset your dreams that much, just put them on your ignore list and head off back to la, la land.
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:07 am
Robert Edwards

I can only guess those are the only two addressees I have blocked as they seem intent
on providing a disjointed and less than factual point of view of Australia.

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com

"JAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > There are about two people posting to this group who have obviously nothing better
    > to do in life than share their loathing of Australia. As they don't put across any
    > kind of balanced view - and have *nothing* positive to say about Australia, I would
    > suggest ignoring them.
    > You'll find many more people who have no regrets at all about making the move.

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:16 am
Andrew

pommiesheila <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

I'm sorry PommieSheila that you had such negative experiences so quickly - we started
to notice the downside probably after a year. Luckily, we went back to the UK for a
holiday after 14 months and this trip re-affirmed all the reasons we wanted to move
out in the first place. So we are still here (3 1/2 years).

Surely all advice is useful - as long as it advice, both negative and positive.

But what isn't very helpful to potential migrants is 'rants'. These are usually full
of emotion and don't have much fact in them. Most of these I would just ignore.
Unfortunately, because migrating is probably one of the stressful events in most
migrants lives - the extreme negative view given is some posts are likely to anger
and upset.

To those wishing to migrate - I would say either ignore them or if you can read and
switch off emotionally. As much as it made me uncomfortable - I recognised that they
was truth in some of these posts although often greatly magnified by the personal
experience of the poster.

Don't forget of all the thousands who have migrated only a very small proportion go
back. This is because despite any flaws they have found in Australia they decided
that staying in Australia is the best thing to do for them PERSONALLY. It won't suite
everyone but you should at least give it a go. You wont know till you try.

Regards, AndyH, Brisbane

"Life is what you make of it".

> I had hoped that my recent reply was a balanced view of how I had found Australia -
    > the good, the bad and the indifferent. It was a PERSONAL view, and the advice I
    > gave was intended to HELP people who are in the process of emigrating. It was NOT
    > a NEGATIVE reply.
    > Nicky - yes, I'm sure when you were "travelling" in Oz you found people very
    > friendly - I've usually found that the case when I'm a tourist, spending my money
    > in their country. However, until you actually come out here and LIVE (i.e. try and
    > integrate into the aussie way of life, working etc.) you will never appreciate the
    > difference.
    > If I have helped ONE person avoid the stress I have been through, then my posting
    > will have been worthwhile.

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jaj:
suggest ignoring them.

You'll find many more people who have no regrets at all about making the move.

If you're unsure whether you'll stay then by all means consider options like keeping
your house in the UK. But I hope no-one seriously considers abandoning their dream
just because of two whingers who obviously didn't find whatever *they* were looking
for in Australia.

In your case if you've lived to Australia before you're in a very good position to
know whether or not it's for you.

Jeremy
Another way is for those who are living in Australia to post the positive things in live in Australia. I find previous posting from Helena about spreadsheet of living cost is very positive and very helpful.

We do not expect to hear positive information without facts either. Yes, positive things can be misleading too, and we can regret it when it doesn't turn out that way. But of course to hear positive things is a reassurance to all of us.

Good or bad, in the end each one of us has to decide. We cannot blame someone else for our own decision. Some decision is well made and we rejoice we ever did, some is not and we regret it. I think we all good intention here, it is just the way we express it is different.

Regards,
Wil
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 3:29 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by willywh3r3:

Another way is for those who are living in Australia to post the positive things in live in Australia. I find previous posting from Helena about spreadsheet of living cost is very positive and very helpful.

We do not expect to hear positive information without facts either. Yes, positive things can be misleading too, and we can regret it when it doesn't turn out that way. But of course to hear positive things is a reassurance to all of us.

Good or bad, in the end each one of us has to decide. We cannot blame someone else for our own decision. Some decision is well made and we rejoice we ever did, some is not and we regret it. I think we all good intention here, it is just the way we express it is different.

Sorry can not comment facts only?

Regards,Australia Now

Australian Social Trends 2001
Population - Population Growth: Leaving Australia

Jump to: Related Links

Over the past five years, the number of Australian-born people leaving Australia permanently has doubled.

With a population of over 4 million people who were born in overseas countries, and high levels of immigration since the Second World War, Australia is regarded as an immigrant nation that draws people from almost all regions of the world. As numbers leaving the country annually (consistently well under half a per cent of the total population since 1975) have been considerably smaller than those arriving, issues related to emigration have not generated the same level of concern in Australia as those relating to immigration. However, in recent years there has been a steady increase in the number of people leaving Australia permanently each year, and in particular, an increased number of Australian-born people stating their intention to permanently leave Australia.

Emigration has a number of potential benefits. Emigrants can establish overseas networks for Australian goods and services exports and identify opportunities for Australian investment abroad. Furthermore, some emigrants subsequently return to Australia, bringing with them new skills and extended experience.1

In recent years, interest in emigration has shifted to its impact on the composition of the workforce. The recent higher levels of emigration are causing concern that skill shortages are being created or exacerbated in some fields.

Permanent movement

Wil
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:19 am
Andrew

Just a couple of fact-sheets to back-up my statement about the amount of people
arriving greatly out-numbering the numbers leaving for both overseas born and
local born.

Facts from DIMA http://www.-
immi.gov.au/facts/pdf/05emigration.pdf

Overview from the Committe for Economic Development of Australia http://www.ceda.com.a-
u/Research/Publications/010725EmigrationAustralia.htm

Say no more.

Regards, AndyH Brisbane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.