Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dont just read it - please reply

Dont just read it - please reply

Old Aug 15th 2006, 3:55 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Dont just read it - please reply

how do you get credit in Aussie? i.e. if you wanna get a mortgage or a loan, your previous credit history in uk does not count, any ideas anyone???
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dont just read it - please reply

Originally Posted by emmalina
how do you get credit in Aussie? i.e. if you wanna get a mortgage or a loan, your previous credit history in uk does not count, any ideas anyone???

Would love to reply, but haven't got a clue. BUT I'll follow the thread as I would like to know the answer
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:32 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Erm.. I don't know
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a low doc mortgage so long as you have a job and are putting down a 30% deposit. You should also get a bank account and maybe credit card sharpish to start building up your credit card.

Personally the only credit I'd get is a mortgage so a low doc one is the way we're heading at the mo.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:38 am
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
You can get a low doc mortgage so long as you have a job and are putting down a 30% deposit. You should also get a bank account and maybe credit card sharpish to start building up your credit card.

Personally the only credit I'd get is a mortgage so a low doc one is the way we're heading at the mo.
But beware the higher interest rates on some low doc loans.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:02 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

A job and your own home help - same as in UK. Then they have something to take off you when you default

Not implying you'd default of course, but they want something they can get their money back on if you do.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

A professional qualification and a considerable amount of equity from the sale of our UK house did it for us.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:30 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

It may br an idea to ask if anyone has a contact for a mortgage advisor or financial advisor in the area youare going to who you could contact directly and discuss your circumstances, then you'd know where you stand instead of getting other peoples experiences which vary greatly.

Lynn
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:07 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
A professional qualification and a considerable amount of equity from the sale of our UK house did it for us.
thanks to everyone that replied x x xx x x x
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:49 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

When you arrive you have no credit, which is good . Once you have a job with a couple of pay slips you should be able to sort out aloan depending on your circumstances. Also low doc and no doc loans are available but slightly higher interest rate.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Re: the mortgage - we've got a kind of hybrid lo-doc with Westpac - 18% deposit and the standard interest rate, not the higher 7.25% lo-docs usually have. We used a broker from Mortgage Yes - I'd highly recommend using a broker for these reasons. Open a bank account as soon as you arrive - they probably won't give you a credit card immediately, but credit history works differently over here. In the UK, you got a good credit history by using shit-loads of credit cards etc. Here your credit history is based on the careful management of any credit you have - we were told that having more than one credit card actually goes against you.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:28 am
Jif
Forum Regular

Jif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant future

thanks Hutch, that's good to know
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:34 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

What if you have no deposit - but a fully paid up house in UK? Should I take a copy (certified of course!) of the Title Deeds?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:44 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

You can actually get a credit card the day you arrive, as we did. We got one through Police and Nurses (no you dont have to be a policeperson or nurse) www.pncs.com.au It is actually a credit card that you put funds on before you can spend them, so you are never actually in arrears. It worked out great for us, whenever we were going to buy something on the card we simply transferred the cash to the card in advance then used the card as you would use any other credit card............even bought a new car with it.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:46 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

I'm in a slightly easier position being an Aussie citizen, but have faced similar "challenges" in getting finance. The lo-doc route is a good one, and as Hutch says, some of the banks will offer you combination deals. Try asking your bank when you arrive. What I also found helpful (and note this doesn't apply in every situation / with every financial institution but it did for me) was taking along:
- latest copies of my UK credit card statement
- latest mortgage statement
- "letter of introduction" from my bank (Lloyds) which stated how long I had been a customer
- copy of latest bank account statement (not an internet version, but one with my UK address on it)

These don't carry any official weight, but can help in getting the banks to be a bit "friendlier" (ie take a slightly less uptight stance on getting credit)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.