Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't chuck yer woolly jumpers

Wikiposts

Don't chuck yer woolly jumpers

Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Don't chuck yer woolly jumpers

Sorry, I keep popping up now don't I? Just another little thing I'd like to mention..

This is our first winter and I am really cold. But it's not that cold really. I suppose it's after the summer heat. I foolishly chucked most of my winter stuff before we came but I have now invested in a pair of Oh so Sexy Ugg Boots - Hubby bought them for me 2 sizes too big so we can "Share"!!!
(yuk or "ugg").

We have got one of those pot belly things which is nice when it gets going but I'm not stoking that up at 6am in the morning thank you very much! Need to get a little heater I suppose. It was 1. something degrees the other morning. Brrrr. But it soon heats up later on in the day when the sun comes out. I have
re-mastered the fine art of "layering". (Takes me back to my late
teenage bedsit years)

Anyway just remember to take yer woollies. (send them in the
container).

Diane

Old Jun 30th 2003, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Would be more informative if we knew where you are, damn cold in Hobart but great in Cairns.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Don't chuck yer woolly jumpers

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Sorry, I keep popping up now don't I? Just another little thing I'd like to mention..

Diane

Dont feel bad about it, you make up for some of the wonderful posters who have given up here.

Love winter here, its funny summers the bit I dread, love the cool crisp winter tho, admit people think I am odd in the Uk as I find their " heatwaves" very chilly, like I am the only one wearing a jumper. Cant say I ever got used to anything above 34 tho.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Would be more informative if we knew where you are, damn cold in Hobart but great in Cairns.

I'm in Perth which is obviously warmer than a lot of other places.

D
Old Jun 30th 2003, 3:39 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul

Try the little box with the ladies name in it , hope shes not another none teller of your view of the truth?

Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

It's so cold in the bedroom I have given in and bought an electric blanket for the first time. Bring your slippers too, the tiled floors here are mighty cold! Also dressing-gowns, hot water bottles, coats, hats & gloves (it's not THAT cold outside, but plenty of Aussies think so, and you'll need them if you holiday at one of the ski resorts).

I'm going to buy the kids some ugg boots, handy for swimming sessions, all the other kids seem to have them, you know how long it takes kids to put socks on damp feet then struggle with trainer laces!

Judging by all the leaflets and what's on display in the shops, Aussies tend to heat their homes with one big fire in the main living area, then lots of heaters all dotted around the place, and we're talking dangerous two-bar old-fashioned heaters, the type you see in safety leaflets that get clothes dropped on them! We need some British plumbers to introduce the much more sensible idea of radiator central-heating!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:17 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I get up in the morning and go outside for our Coffee most days it is warmer out than in!

I open all the windows and doors when the winter sun is shining to help heat up the place. We live in a five bed wooden shack in Sydney! Lovely and cool in the summer but boy after centrally heated living in the UK I am miserable, lucky for me it is a rental and I plan to invest in some insultation and heating in our new place.

Jacqui I am just considering the electric blanket! My first winter last year it was a novelty to be this cold 2nd one in and I wish I knew about the cold before renting.

Cheers
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

We fight over our one and only green fluffy hot watty botty.

I end up pinching it out of my sons bed when I turn it. (Hehe)

Diane
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Make the most of it girls, soon it will be back to "Get orf of me its too bloody hot", sleeping with even the sheet making you sweat and waking up at 4am with a big red ball (sun) blaring through the window. Oh and trying to remove 4 layers of spf60 so you dont slip off the bed. Summer sweaty one day smokey the next he he!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:35 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Make the most of it girls, soon it will be back to "Get orf of me its too bloody hot", sleeping with even the sheet making you sweat and waking up at 4am with a big red ball (sun) blaring through the window. Oh and trying to remove 4 layers of spf60 so you dont slip off the bed. Summer sweaty one day smokey the next he he!
Lucky to say I find the house cool in the summer and only had to contend with the heat when outside - though I remember going to the outdoor pool one day and only being able to stay in for a few mins at it began to feel like a bath after more than that. I did choose Sydney for the lower temps - just complaining about the heating and insultation standard in winter they are a bit naff.

Cheers
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Sandra
Lucky to say I find the house cool in the summer and only had to contend with the heat when outside - though I remember going to the outdoor pool one day and only being able to stay in for a few mins at it began to feel like a bath after more than that. I did choose Sydney for the lower temps - just complaining about the heating and insultation standard in winter they are a bit naff.

Cheers
The pool being too hot to swim in is very common here. Some guy has just invented a device to cool the water, should take off well. Pool today tho is a rather annoying thing that still needs cleaning despite fact nobody has been in since March.
We have one of those baraccuda things but its gone mad an only cleans one end of the pool. Keep ending up shoulder deep in freezing water trying to fix it, lovely.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:49 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Don't chuck yer woolly jumpers

I'm another who freezes here during winter - fan heater which is on every night (costs a fortune to run). Jumpers I have plenty - I actually used to wear coats and jumpers in Sing when it rained for days. I feel any slight drop of temperature.

at this moment - I have a jumper on (2.40pm) overcast and I'm cold - I think it's around 19c at this very moment (office thermometer is reading that anyway - not accurate of course, and no I have not got aircon on ). Unless I'm out sitting in the daytime sun in winter I wear jumpers - night I have thermal sheets on , two quilts and a bedspread - plus a hot water bottle.

Here in Brisbane - you will need hats , coats jumpers for the night if you spend the nights out on the bay/water (boating)- you will freeze if you don't dress up warmly enough.

When I went back to Britain one year - it was in April, and they were having a "warm" spell for this month (24c I think it was) - at the time I was living in Sing - flew into Britain, and people were walking around with sleeveless t-shirts, looking like red lobsters. Anyway I was only the dull bugger who was wearing jumpers and coats with a sun tan- didn't half get some odd looks I can tell you .

Yes - bring your jumpers to Aus with you - you will need them. I also find that good jumpers (ie wool) in the shops here are more expensive than back in the UK.

Cheers
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Saying that - I've just been for a walk down to the shops at lunchtime, decked out in my various layers and I've returned almost naked cos I'm too hot!!! Amazing what a bit of exercise can do!

D
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
The pool being too hot to swim in is very common here. Some guy has just invented a device to cool the water, should take off well. Pool today tho is a rather annoying thing that still needs cleaning despite fact nobody has been in since March.
We have one of those baraccuda things but its gone mad an only cleans one end of the pool. Keep ending up shoulder deep in freezing water trying to fix it, lovely.
With regard to the pool thing!! My hubby spends all summer moaning cos it's evaporating and needs topping up, then all winter moaning cos it's overflowing. You should have seen us last night in the pissing rain with various pipes stuck together to try and drain some off. We ended up flooding the garden and no doubt my grass will be killed off with the salt water. You can't win! A few glasses of plonk and Big Brother Nominations cheered me up though.

Diane
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by DianeOZ
With regard to the pool thing!! My hubby spends all summer moaning cos it's evaporating and needs topping up, then all winter moaning cos it's overflowing. You should have seen us last night in the pissing rain with various pipes stuck together to try and drain some off. We ended up flooding the garden and no doubt my grass will be killed off with the salt water. You can't win! A few glasses of plonk and Big Brother Nominations cheered me up though.

Diane
Diane, there are a few of us English girls on here who like a drop of wine, Pity we dont all live in the same street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.