Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't bring your Canon Printer to Oz!

Don't bring your Canon Printer to Oz!

Old May 11th 2005, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default Don't bring your Canon Printer to Oz!

Just a word of warning, boring though it may be... bought a canon i80 Pictbridge Printer in the UK, carried it and notebook, scanner and everything else as handluggage, thought it might be cheaper to buy in the UK for some naive reason... went to get some new cartridges, stock up for all the digital photos i've downloaded to send to eager family!!! you can't get the cartridges at all! you can get the printer but the cartridges are different over here... the boffin in the computer place was really nice and suggested having them 'refilled', but even then they won't last apparently....

anyone else had this problem or is the bloke just winding me up?
Old May 11th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't bring your Canon Printer to Oz!

Either winding you up, or not very knowledgeable. We've just bought a Canon printer (different model though) and can get cartridges ok. I found a website that can supply them cheaper than the retailers do http://www.inkman.com.au/default.asp? I just had a look and your printer is listed ok.

We also found (especially at the beginning when we first migrated) that we had problems enquiring about certain things. Either they couldn't understand our Pommie accents, we couldn't understand theirs, or we were using unfamiliar terms or even asking for a product not yet available in Aus. We gave up trying to buy a DECT cordless phone system for indoors, we were getting too many funny looks, but guess what - 3 years later, they are all the rage!
Old May 11th 2005, 2:14 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by honeybob
Just a word of warning, boring though it may be... bought a canon i80 Pictbridge Printer in the UK, carried it and notebook, scanner and everything else as handluggage, thought it might be cheaper to buy in the UK for some naive reason... went to get some new cartridges, stock up for all the digital photos i've downloaded to send to eager family!!! you can't get the cartridges at all! you can get the printer but the cartridges are different over here... the boffin in the computer place was really nice and suggested having them 'refilled', but even then they won't last apparently....

anyone else had this problem or is the bloke just winding me up?
Sounds like he didn't know what he's talking about, have a look at:

http://www.canon.com.au/about/press_room/story_933.html

http://www.canon.com.au/products/bub...j_printers/i80

First site off google 'canon printer cartridges' as search http://www.waink.com.au/shop/shop.asp

Black Cartridge (BCI-15BK)$22.35 and Colour Cartridge(BCI-15C) $41.20

If it's the same printer can't see the cartridges would be any different, perhaps a different part number, and if Canon sell the printer here they must sell cartridges as I can't imagine Aussie consumers being happy buying a new printer every time it runs out of ink.

Last edited by Flying Banana; May 11th 2005 at 2:16 pm.
Old May 11th 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

thanks for your replies, although he seemed really knowledgeable, but there you go... he said something about the uk cartridges being different from the canon 'au' types, and something to do with canon profiting in the uk... i was just gutted that i had wasted my cash! so thanks for correcting me and giving me the website addresses... i'm definitely going back to see him though... my family are going to post the bloody cartridges over to me...

bob...
Old May 11th 2005, 3:21 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

They can only be refilled so many times, I went to pc world to buy new canon carts and it was cheaper to buy a new printer! £29 for a photo z816 lexmark! so I just binned my canon printer, this new lexmark is alot better too. Sooooo quiet

PS new canon carts would have been £31 for both color & black
Old May 11th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulf
They can only be refilled so many times, I went to pc world to buy new canon carts and it was cheaper to buy a new printer! £29 for a photo z816 lexmark! so I just binned my canon printer, this new lexmark is alot better too. Sooooo quiet

christ, that's cheap! is it good quality though, not wanting to offend!
Old May 11th 2005, 10:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paulf

But how much are the Lexmark cartridges ?
When I owned a Computer shop, we used to sell Canon Printers to people who had bought Lexmark Printers in PC World and came to us wanting Lexmark cartridges

I am sure the manufacturers make no profit on the Printers, only on the future cartridge sales