Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light
Default Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Arrived here April 2005 and after what I know now would not of sold up house, left very good building business to have to deal with all the bullshit of obtaining licences.

Before I could get a builders licence I had to get my trade recognised as a bricklayer again, even after satisfying the TRA, got this eventually and they certainly make a big deal about it, got blue card, went on business course, joined Master Builders who so called fast tracked us after paying $2,500 to complete a Tafe Builders Course, assessor came out before Christmas references were fine, past the course work and he would pass all the information on to the BSA who actually give out the licences but as far as he was concerned licence would be posted shortly.

After chasing up the BSA 10 days ago, they say there is unsufficient evidence of site supervision, even though they can't understand the following points:-

Was a member of NHBC in the UK - certificate issued to them
References from Architects - to confirm I was a builder and supervised jobs to a very high standard and had known me for at least 15 years
Local building inspectors from the Council who check works carried out at every stage.
12 excellent references from previous clients

After speaking to the BSA again - we know have to go and see them in Brisbane and supply our business books, photographic evidence and whatever else we can think of in the meantime.

The BSA are very unhelpful, down talking, sarcastic and not sympathetic to us at all in out situation.

Also another fact I have realised is that BSA do not like working with the Masterbuilders, they do not like it that I have taken membership out with them and easy to pass the buck, if you want to know anything the BSA say ring Masterbuilders, even though its the BSA I am dealing with.

All I can warn other trades people is to bring out plenty of references as we did and still having problems, expect a load of bullshit and cost.

After saying all that I don't think their is a great deal of money to be made at the moment, since we have been here house prices have dropped slightly but land prices are holding well.

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:44 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Sorry you feel this way & sorry for your experiences.
I don't know if you have just been unlucky or if this would go for everyone in your trade.

My family have been in Queensland for 20 yrs & we are joining them this year permanently and have never experienced anything like you describe... but the again we are not builders - we are Chefs

Take care & best of luck in what ever you decide to do.

Claire
x
Originally Posted by Pennyhen2
Arrived here April 2005 and after what I know now would not of sold up house, left very good building business to have to deal with all the bullshit of obtaining licences.

Before I could get a builders licence I had to get my trade recognised as a bricklayer again, even after satisfying the TRA, got this eventually and they certainly make a big deal about it, got blue card, went on business course, joined Master Builders who so called fast tracked us after paying $2,500 to complete a Tafe Builders Course, assessor came out before Christmas references were fine, past the course work and he would pass all the information on to the BSA who actually give out the licences but as far as he was concerned licence would be posted shortly.

After chasing up the BSA 10 days ago, they say there is unsufficient evidence of site supervision, even though they can't understand the following points:-

References from Architects - to confirm I was a builder and supervised jobs to a very high standard and had known me for at least 15 years
Local building inspectors from the Council who check works carried out at every stage.

After speaking to the BSA again - we know have to go and see them in Brisbane and supply our business books, photographic evidence and whatever else we can think of in the meantime.

The BSA are very unhelpful, down talking, sarcastic and not sympathetic to us at all in out situation.

Also another fact I have realised is that BSA do not like working with the Masterbuilders, they do not like it that I have taken membership out with them and easy to pass the buck, if you want to know anything the BSA say ring Masterbuilders, even though its the BSA I am dealing with.

All I can warn other trades people is to bring out plenty of references as we did and still having problems, expect a load of bullshit and cost.

After saying all that I don't think their is a great deal of money to be made at the moment, since we have been here house prices have dropped slightly but land prices are holding well.

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Very hard on you all. Think Fraser's going through similar grief at the moment? For anyone heading out, fore-warned is fore-armed I guess.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light

It is a difficult time, not forgeting the driving licence we also had to apply for.

Also when I sometimes read on this site, many people come out with a small amount of money, here on the Sunshine Coast many people struggle to get work and that includes the Australians themselves.

So we are not the only ones with problems, but it doesn't help hearing about theirs.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice

Arrived on the Sunshine Coast Oct 2004 and this has got to be the best BLOODY place to be on Gods earth!!!!! Me my wife and 2 kids have got to be the most chilled we have ever been! Love work! Love School! Love Play!

It really don't get better than this!!! And that's FAIR DINKUM!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Im heading for Queensland... glad Im not a builder though!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sydney The Dog
Arrived on the Sunshine Coast Oct 2004 and this has got to be the best BLOODY place to be on Gods earth!!!!! Me my wife and 2 kids have got to be the most chilled we have ever been! Love work! Love School! Love Play!

It really don't get better than this!!! And that's FAIR DINKUM!!!!

i just gave you 4 boxes!!! YAY is me
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

One of the things that we all say is that you need a license to do anything in Qld. Just another way the government make money.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Hello sam and james,

Sorry to hear that things ar,nt going well for you both.That bull with the licencing sounds a real pain.Hope things get sorted soon for you and both feel better about the situation.

all the best dave and sam
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

from what i have heard and seen i think this is indicative all or most professional bodies in OZ, (I am happy to be put right on this point). It appears to me that they like to look after there own and anyone from out side that may be a threat to employment opportunities for natural born Australians they make it deliberately difficult to gain the appropriate accreditations.

However it is worth keep trying or seeking alternative routes if it by pass the obstruction and still gives you the same outcome.

Is there an alternate governing body you could approach or register at a lower level before upgrading later ????

Hope everything works out for you

Regards

Jon

Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:46 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

There's a lot of people in the same boat.
I have e-mailed the Civil Aviation Safety Authority for information on conversion to their licenses, I had a very brief reply which seems an age ago, it stated

"I will respond further to your enquiry in the near future"

I have since politely asked how my enquiry is progressing, cock all reply, funny ol thing!

It's not going to get me down at the moment....though who knows in the coming months, time will tell.

Isn't it the same across Australia not just Queensland?

I will still bother coming to Queensland though.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:58 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise I really do especially as a large percentage of builders here seem to be cowboys.

When I phoned up the plumbing institute to ask for advice they said didn't you get the book list and if not send us $180 and we'll send you one, they were very short with me and came across as unapproachable.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
I sympathise I really do especially as a large percentage of builders here seem to be cowboys.

When I phoned up the plumbing institute to ask for advice they said didn't you get the book list and if not send us $180 and we'll send you one, they were very short with me and came across as unapproachable.

Oooo eck i can see it all going pearshaped when jed puts the nut on someone
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Can totally relate to you , its total bullshit with all the licensing situation basically its to get more money out of you. i had to apply for my licence also as a bricklayer and the amount of time and money ( not including going back to college) to try and prove yourself .when no disrespect half of the so called tradesmen are COWBOYS. The workmanship is terrible the finished product doesn't look bad but behind it all its terrible :scared: i have never seen a building inspector in all the time i have been here.

Any trades people coming out here you need your licence , because otherwise you will be working for a subby and lining his pockets and believe you me they will have you working for it !!!!!!! ( they work you like Trojans !)
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

That's a real shame for you, I hope that you manage to get your licence soon. Does not having a licence mean you can't work anywhere? I just thought that it meant that you couldn't work self employed or that your wages would be much lower.

My husband is a Carptenter and we are hoping to come out to the Sunshine coast in August time. I know that he has to do a Tafe course and get a licence but was assuming that this would mean he would be on lower wages until he had his licence, now I am worried about him finding work out there.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.