Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't Australians say "Look" a lot.

Don't Australians say "Look" a lot.

Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Don't Australians say "Look" a lot.

Not a good thing or a bad thing, just an observation. Anyone else noticed this?
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Don't Australians say "Look" a lot.

Yes, we do.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Australians say "Look" a lot.

Oh look, I don't think they're that bad

The ones I know say 'yes, no' a lot though
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

No
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
Not a good thing or a bad thing, just an observation. Anyone else noticed this?
Look, this thread has been done before. I was reading a transcript from the ABC the other day....with that dumbass Stephen Fielding, he's a good example.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s2831712.htm

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I'm not an expert on these issues....

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I think that there are a lot of questions...

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I think...

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I think that the science today...

STEVE FIELDING: Well, as I said, I believe that people, you know, started from being created. But, look, there ....

STEVE FIELDING: Look, different schools teach different things...

STEVE FIELDING: Look, it may be that you've read more....

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I actually think that kids are pretty smart...

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I'm certainly not fearful of gays...

STEVE FIELDING: Yeah. Look, I actually don't believe in that at all...

STEVE FIELDING: Yeah, look, it certainly has and, look...

...and so on.

Awwwwwww, look, I have to say when it gets to that extent it's really frigging annoying!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Look, this thread has been done before. I was reading a transcript from the ABC the other day....with that dumbass Stephen Fielding, he's a good example.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s2831712.htm

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I'm not an expert on these issues....

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I think that there are a lot of questions...

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I think...

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I think that the science today...

STEVE FIELDING: Well, as I said, I believe that people, you know, started from being created. But, look, there ....

STEVE FIELDING: Look, different schools teach different things...

STEVE FIELDING: Look, it may be that you've read more....

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I actually think that kids are pretty smart...

STEVE FIELDING: Look, I'm certainly not fearful of gays...

STEVE FIELDING: Yeah. Look, I actually don't believe in that at all...

STEVE FIELDING: Yeah, look, it certainly has and, look...

...and so on.

Awwwwwww, look, I have to say when it gets to that extent it's really frigging annoying!
Abbot's fat friend Joe Hockey is just as bad, although he does break it up with the odd "now listen . . . "
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

They do..

and so do I.

(I love it. It's a shorthand way for a politician or a wheeled-in expert to basically say in response to a question: )

"Jeez...you ****wits - it's simple - blah blah [insert]"

"It's obvious.....here it is [insert]"

"I've told you - the situation is clear [insert]".

"No - that's not quite the situation. To clarify- [insert]".

Next time you hear someone use it - imagine them substituting any of the above. Fits well, doesn't it?

Introduce it everywhere I say.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprised to hear you love it Badge but disagree about the explanation. It's a simple meaningless tag used all the time, a bit like innit at the end of a sentence.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprised to hear you love it Badge but disagree about the explanation. It's a simple meaningless tag used all the time, a bit like innit at the end of a sentence.
Not surprised....tch! I don't worship the word, just think it is useful.

You can practically hear the scorn sometimes - which is one of the things I do like about Australian politicians - I'm no fan of the genre in general.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:20 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Not surprised....tch! I don't worship the word, just think it is useful.

You can practically hear the scorn sometimes - which is one of the things I do like about Australian politicians - I'm no fan of the genre in general.
It's not just used by politicians though, and it's not used scornfully! It's in general use in everyday conversation. Completely meaningless.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not just used by politicians though, and it's not used scornfully! It's in general use in everyday conversation. Completely meaningless.
Well, I choose, and AM talking about when it is used by politicians and people - pundits - being interviewed on the radio. Perhaps it is more of an impatient thing, less of scorn - perhaps I am being unduly cynical. EDIT - I don't mean it has that use every time...clearly....

Actually, I don't hear it much in everyday conversation - for me, it is very much a media thing.

But heyho(!)

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 29th 2010 at 12:26 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
Oh look, I don't think they're that bad

The ones I know say 'yes, no' a lot though

I've noticed the 'yeah, no' quite a lot too.

Alison x
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by al150n
I've noticed the 'yeah, no' quite a lot too.

Alison x
That one is not so flash or amusing. Plain annoying.

Having said that, there would be situations when it might make sense if someone was meaning to say:

Yes [I know/I hear you], but no, xxx.....

Anyway, I'll let youse people get on with it.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:42 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

I like the sort after homes for sale in realestate ads...especially if they come with a built in chest of draws.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Don't Australians say "Look" a lot.

It's in general use in everyday conversation. Completely meaningless.
If you check the dictionary, you'll find that it does, in fact, have a meaning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.