Dollar dum dum.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Dollar dum dum.

I thought the aussie dollar might go back a bit this week with outlook on US brighter and possible .25 interest rate cut here tomorrow. Yet on the 6am news it was up almost a cent overnight against the US.

Anybody know why? Its great news but I honestly cant understand it sometimes.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dollar dum dum.

Originally posted by dotty
I thought the aussie dollar might go back a bit this week with outlook on US brighter and possible .25 interest rate cut here tomorrow. Yet on the 6am news it was up almost a cent overnight against the US.

I was wondering the same thing myself. Spoke to Halewood (Forex people) a few days ago and they reckoned there was still plenty of "upside" in the Aus $, but didn`t really say why, just that if we were looking to exchange our $$$s to £££s there would be no harm in waiting a while.

Perhaps it`s a question of confidence - the Aus economy is apparently still "booming" and the US one is still very shaky.
(Ditto UK)...
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:00 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty

Not exactly sure Dotty, but I think it may be just the timing of the market trading after the weekend. It is interesting and I've never understood trading in currency. Perhaps some financial wizz could explain it for us.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 8:15 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
Not exactly sure Dotty, but I think it may be just the timing of the market trading after the weekend. It is interesting and I've never understood trading in currency. Perhaps some financial wizz could explain it for us.

From what I understand, when rates are cut, the value of the currency tends to decline. So perhaps people are expecting another cut in US rate (in fact there was one last week wasn't there?) which would drive the US dollar down against the $aus. If the UK follow suit (which I think would be expected), it would also put more pressure on the price of the £.

The rate cut in the Aus would have an effect, but probably not enough to counter the US$ and £ (because of size of the economies). So it is quite possible that the Aus$ has gained despite the expected rates cut.

As to why the rate cut affects currency, again, I am not an expert, but if the rates are cut, the interest returned from banks drops, and the money earned on bonds etc drops. Therefore investors will look for other currencies or avenues for investment...
Old Jul 1st 2003, 9:43 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
From what I understand, when rates are cut, the value of the currency tends to decline. So perhaps people are expecting another cut in US rate (in fact there was one last week wasn't there?) which would drive the US dollar down against the $aus. If the UK follow suit (which I think would be expected), it would also put more pressure on the price of the £.

The rate cut in the Aus would have an effect, but probably not enough to counter the US$ and £ (because of size of the economies). So it is quite possible that the Aus$ has gained despite the expected rates cut.

As to why the rate cut affects currency, again, I am not an expert, but if the rates are cut, the interest returned from banks drops, and the money earned on bonds etc drops. Therefore investors will look for other currencies or avenues for investment...
As I say every night...thanks gOd