Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dogs And Spiders ??????

Dogs And Spiders ??????

Old Jan 8th 2006, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

ambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the rough
Default Dogs And Spiders ??????

HI
we are hoping to bring our 2 golden retrievers but was just a bit worried about the spiders and sneaks.has any one had a pet bitten and if so what happens do you have to rush them of to the vet and do they act straight away.i think what I'm trying to say is does anyone regret taking them.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs And Spiders ??????

Originally Posted by ambermax
HI
we are hoping to bring our 2 golden retrievers but was just a bit worried about the spiders and sneaks.
Yes if my dog was bitten by a sneak I'd be a bit worried!!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 8th 2006, 8:47 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

we have decided not to take our dog - we are leaving him with our good friend. There are lots of reasons why we have taken this decision, but one of the reasons (not the main one I hasten to add) is because of an incident that happened a couple of years ago to my Mum's best mates dog on the Gold Coast. His name was Charlie, & was taken by the family to a friends house to a BBQ. He saw something move under the house and went to investigate..... next thing anyone knows he is choking and unable to breathe..... then he died. Why? Because he swallowed a red-back & it bit the inside of his throat.

An awful story I know & I apologise sincerely if it has upset anyone.

Claire
Old Jan 8th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

What a shame - that poor dog . We're bringing our 2 cockers and one of them eats all insects that come indoors. This is great for me as I hate spiders, but the ones here can't harm her like the Aussie ones can. I'm going to have to train her to run away from them instead of pouncing and munching . Our 2 are in and out of the garden all day, unsupervised. I guess that'll have to change too. Goodness knows what they'll make of lizards and snakes :scared: .
TJ
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

ambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
What a shame - that poor dog . We're bringing our 2 cockers and one of them eats all insects that come indoors. This is great for me as I hate spiders, but the ones here can't harm her like the Aussie ones can. I'm going to have to train her to run away from them instead of pouncing and munching . Our 2 are in and out of the garden all day, unsupervised. I guess that'll have to change too. Goodness knows what they'll make of lizards and snakes :scared: .
TJ
it take's a lot of thinking about as we love ours to bits but uh!! i don't know what to do if we don't take them does that mean we will never have a dog again
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:08 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Montu my English dog that I brought with me doesnt eat them, but Taupo my Golden Retrever/lab cross, eats all of them, bugs sipders etc.... it worries me sick, but nothing has happend yet (touch wood) I am trying to teach her not to.

I worry about them, when I walk them in the long grass too, Im like an overprotective mother shouting them back onto the path all the time....

laura
Attached Thumbnails Dogs And Spiders ??????-dscn3962.jpg  
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:10 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Montu my English dog that I brought with me doesnt eat them, but Taupo my Golden Retrever/lab cross, eats all of them, bugs sipders etc.... it worries me sick, but nothing has happend yet (touch wood) I am trying to teach her not to.

I worry about them, when I walk them in the long grass too, Im like an overprotective mother shouting them back onto the path all the time....

laura
I can see that being me with Stitch my collie X lab and a few other bits!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

it take's a lot of thinking about as we love ours to bits but uh!! i don't know what to do if we don't take them does that mean we will never have a dog again
There's no way we're leaving ours behind, would rather leave the kids . I think it's just a case of being extra vigilant with them. There are millions of people with dogs in Aus, so it can't be that bad (that's what I'm telling myself anyway )
TJ
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

laura
your lucky you only have 1 golden retrever that eats evey thing .we have 2 1 of them eat a battery and burnt her mouth the other eats stones the last time cost us £1400
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:22 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

HI
we are hoping to bring our 2 golden retrievers but was just a bit worried about the spiders and sneaks.has any one had a pet bitten and if so what happens do you have to rush them of to the vet and do they act straight away.i think what I'm trying to say is does anyone regret taking them.
Another thing to add to the list of problems for some dogs is grass seeds. If you live out in the country or have a huge unkept lawn, beware. Especially with long haired dogs.

My big black labrador (Max) keeps collecting grass seeds - they pierce the skin and cause infections. He had one a year ago that required an op to remove it. The vet had to follow the scar that the seed left as it wandered around the dog's thigh area. Some $800 dollars later the seed was out.

We never had this problem in the UK. Our other dog (with short hair) doesn't have this problem. If I get another dog after Max, I will do some serious research first to make sure the dog is suited to the environment it'll live in.

We spend a fair bit of time on a farm - plenty of snakes and spiders, they have been the least of our worries with the dogs.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:28 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

your lucky you only have 1 golden retrever that eats evey thing .we have 2 1 of them
...how many dogs?
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:32 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

your lucky you only have 1 golden retrever that eats evey thing .we have 2 1 of them eat a battery and burnt her mouth the other eats stones the last time cost us £1400

A battery, my God!!! They are a real worry arent they? Yea, Taupo eats fag butts and all kinds of crap off the floor, I am forever scooping things out of her mouth with my fingers (yalk!)

I agree that I could never of left Montu behind, I really would not of been able to settle without her here, so glad I brought her over, money well spent.

As for grass seeds, one day I was walking them, and Taupo (who was only 6 months old at the time) was sniffing in grass, and then she sneezed and went all funny. She looked like she had had a stroke and one eye was shut and she kept on sneezing. I was panicing thinking, oh my God, she has been bitten, she will die! I was screaming at JC to do domething, but we didnt know what.

We got her back to the car and luckily it stopped, once home, we call the vet and he said was probably a grass seed up her nose and if it didnt come out an operation would be needed costing $1500!!!!! Thank God it came out!

But yea, I know lots of people with dogs and never heard a story yet (apart from Jonhans mummys friends dog) poor thing

Laura
x
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

We brought our 2 golden retrievers out with us in April 2005. They are enjoying every minute and so far, knock on wood, have had no problems. As for spiders etc it is my understanding they do not have such a profound affect on dogs as they do on humans. A swallowed red back is a problem though, but had it bitten a dog externally I am sure it would not have been fatal. We give our dogs a tablet every month to prevent hearworm and that is all, we are in Victoria and farther North ticks are a problem but can be easily prevented. So bring your dogs and enjoy your new exciting life together, it truly is fantastic in Oz, in fact the only winge is the quality of tv programmes, but so what we did not come here to watch tele.
Roger
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

A battery, my God!!! They are a real worry arent they? Yea, Taupo eats fag butts and all kinds of crap off the floor, I am forever scooping things out of her mouth with my fingers (yalk!)

I agree that I could never of left Montu behind, I really would not of been able to settle without her here, so glad I brought her over, money well spent.

As for grass seeds, one day I was walking them, and Taupo (who was only 6 months old at the time) was sniffing in grass, and then she sneezed and went all funny. She looked like she had had a stroke and one eye was shut and she kept on sneezing. I was panicing thinking, oh my God, she has been bitten, she will die! I was screaming at JC to do domething, but we didnt know what.

We got her back to the car and luckily it stopped, once home, we call the vet and he said was probably a grass seed up her nose and if it didnt come out an operation would be needed costing $1500!!!!! Thank God it came out!

But yea, I know lots of people with dogs and never heard a story yet (apart from Jonhans mummys friends dog) poor thing

Laura
x
i think we we have to take them
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by RogerUK
We brought our 2 golden retrievers out with us in April 2005. They are enjoying every minute and so far, knock on wood, have had no problems. As for spiders etc it is my understanding they do not have such a profound affect on dogs as they do on humans. A swallowed red back is a problem though, but had it bitten a dog externally I am sure it would not have been fatal. We give our dogs a tablet every month to prevent hearworm and that is all, we are in Victoria and farther North ticks are a problem but can be easily prevented. So bring your dogs and enjoy your new exciting life together, it truly is fantastic in Oz, in fact the only winge is the quality of tv programmes, but so what we did not come here to watch tele.
Roger

Rodger,

Did you know you can get the heartworm injection now, once a year, its loads easier so you dont forget to give them the tablets. I went for the jab as I am always forgetting the tablets. We get it donew ith the yearly booster and that way you never forget.

We also flea them once a month too. In England it was only once every 3 months but its once a month here.

laura