dogs in oz

Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:07 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default dogs in oz

Just curious to know, those of you that have taken dogs with you how have they faired with the heat ? has your dog experienced any of the nasty creatures ( I have visions of my jack russel havin a go with at a snake). As some parks do not allow dogs - are there many places where they can go off the lead or are they few and far between ?

Thanx

Sel x
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:07 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dogs in oz

Originally Posted by sel
Just curious to know, those of you that have taken dogs with you how have they faired with the heat ? has your dog experienced any of the nasty creatures ( I have visions of my jack russel havin a go with at a snake). As some parks do not allow dogs - are there many places where they can go off the lead or are they few and far between ?

Thanx

Sel x

hi sel

if you run a search on dogs you will find lots of info about this.

I am taking mine with me and what i found out is that there are lots of parks to take them, but you have to keep them on a lead, and you have to check first as some places dont allow dogs.......

hope this helps a bit, if not the threads on the serach should do

laura
x
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:21 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi sel

if you run a search on dogs you will find lots of info about this.

I am taking mine with me and what i found out is that there are lots of parks to take them, but you have to keep them on a lead, and you have to check first as some places dont allow dogs.......

hope this helps a bit, if not the threads on the serach should do

laura
x
Thanx will do search

Sel x
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sel
Thanx will do search

Sel x
A few things surprised us here in Brisbane/Bayside. All dogs have to have annual registration and must at all time where their registration tag. In general there are not a lot of places to take dogs and virtually none off the lead. Dogs are banned in most 'family areas' (eg, Wellington Point, Cleveland Point - picnic/park areas on the water) on weekends ! The dogs are at great risk from the paralysis tick and heartworm, which is fatal and they contract from mosquitos. As far as the heat goes, obviously dog are regularly clipped and have the common sense to move to shade or run under the lawn sprinklers !

We bought our dog 'Aussie' ( she's the only born Australian !), here - a Lhasa Apso and she copes exceedingly well with the heat however, she does chase frogs (not sure if they are Cane Toads or not) in the garden and most spiders - thats my main concern. Once aware of potential dangers you can be more careful. She's certainly worth the worry !
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:42 pm
sel
~~~

Originally Posted by surfdude
A few things surprised us here in Brisbane/Bayside. All dogs have to have annual registration and must at all time where their registration tag. In general there are not a lot of places to take dogs and virtually none off the lead. Dogs are banned in most 'family areas' (eg, Wellington Point, Cleveland Point - picnic/park areas on the water) on weekends ! The dogs are at great risk from the paralysis tick and heartworm, which is fatal and they contract from mosquitos. As far as the heat goes, obviously dog are regularly clipped and have the common sense to move to shade or run under the lawn sprinklers !

We bought our dog 'Aussie' ( she's the only born Australian !), here - a Lhasa Apso and she copes exceedingly well with the heat however, she does chase frogs (not sure if they are Cane Toads or not) in the garden and most spiders - thats my main concern. Once aware of potential dangers you can be more careful. She's certainly worth the worry !
Blimey ! not doggy friendly then - but I agree, they are worth it. Will be looking into the tick problem etc I guess they must have something that you can put on them to stop this being a problem ? or I hope there is. As far as the spiders etc I guess thats a bridge we must cross once we are there.

Thanx for info - appreciated

Sel x
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:51 pm
ABCDiamond

More on the Dog situation on Brisbane/Bayside;

You are only allowed to own 2 dogs on one property, and it's a $150 fine for letting a dog loose in a public place.

Part of the reasons stated, is to cut down the number of Koalas attacked by dogs, as this is Koala country. We even had one walk into a local supermarket recently !! Not sure what it was looking for

Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Part of the reasons stated, is to cut down the number of Koalas attacked by dogs, as this is Koala country. We even had one walk into a local supermarket recently !! Not sure what it was looking for
Lettuce???
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:58 pm
sel
~~~

More on the Dog situation on Brisbane/Bayside;

You are only allowed to own 2 dogs on one property, and it's a $150 fine for letting a dog loose in a public place.

I think my dog would have nightmares if he came across one of those - HUGE BUNNY AFTER ME whine whine...... it only wanted a nice cold one

Sel x
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sel
Blimey ! not doggy friendly then - but I agree, they are worth it. Will be looking into the tick problem etc I guess they must have something that you can put on them to stop this being a problem ? or I hope there is. As far as the spiders etc I guess thats a bridge we must cross once we are there.

Sel x

You an get tick collars which last approx. 6-8 weeks but not 100% effective for the paralysis tick. You must keep dogs out of parks/grassy areas as much as possible ! Keep your lawn very short. You can buy a 'medication' from most pet shops (yes, you don't have to go to the vet like the UK and its much cheaper) for the heartworm, the easiest is a tube of liquid you spread on their skin at the shoulders, this prevents heartworm, fleas and intestinal worms but must be done every month.
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Heartworm - annual vaccination now available at vets, easily sorted just have it done with pets annual booster shot, cost us about $60.

We get our dogs shaved end November (prior to summer) $35 works perfectly as the coat is fully grown back by winter but nice and short for summer which is the tic season so they are easy to see, admittedly in suburbia we have never had a problem with tics tho.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sel

Sel x

My dog was bitten by a spider once. She swelled up something awful. Looked like one of those wrinkly puppies. She kept falling over and couldn't stand or walk. However, the vet told me to give her half an anti-histimine (ie- Polaramine which is available over the counter at chemists). Within half an hour she was back to normal jumping around and loving me to death. I keep antihistimine anyway because of my allergies. But I always had a packet in the house for in case of doggie wanting to eat another spider!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:04 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=surfdude] In general there are not a lot of places to take dogs and virtually none off the lead. Dogs are banned in most 'family areas' (eg, Wellington Point, Cleveland Point - picnic/park areas on the water) on weekends !

Most parks now have "Off Leash Areas" built to accomodate dogs. Most are at least 80m square and have a 1.2m chain-wire fence surrounding it. There is enough room for both dogs and their owners to socialize. They are usually found on major foot/bikepaths in the council parks. Some even have a canine obstacle course similar to the ones used by police and military to train their dogs.

Most people are responsible dog owners and cleanup after their dogs to avoid fouling the ground.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Most people are responsible dog owners and cleanup after their dogs to avoid fouling the ground.
Unfortunately it's a case of the "Few" irresponsible ones that create problems for the majority of the responsible dog owners.

A few weeks ago a young girl in my street was almost bitten by a loose dog, her arm was scratched by the dogs teeth, but no skin broken. The owners response was that the girl is all right, so no problem.

I am wary of any loose dog, following an incident that my first wife had with her dog. After having had the dog for about 8 years with no problems at all, it turned one day, and savaged her arm. This really was biting the hand that fed it. It made me realise that any dog can turn nasty. But then, that's the only two incidents I have known myself in "many" years.

PS: My brother has two dobermans, and never had a moments worry with them

Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:55 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately it's a case of the "Few" irresponsible ones that create problems for the majority of the responsible dog owners.

A few weeks ago a young girl in my street was almost bitten by a loose dog, her arm was scratched by the dogs teeth, but no skin broken. The owners response was that the girl is all right, so no problem.

I am wary of any loose dog, following an incident that my first wife had with her dog. After having had the dog for about 8 years with no problems at all, it turned one day, and savaged her arm. This really was biting the hand that fed it. It made me realise that any dog can turn nasty. But then, that's the only two incidents I have known myself in "many" years.

PS: My brother has two dobermans, and never had a moments worry with them

True, the few do make it hard for the many in alot of things.