Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dogs flying today..

Dogs flying today..

Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay 88 will become famous soon enough
Default Dogs flying today..

We are now fully committed to moving to Perth - our two jack russells took to the skies today (in fact they are in the air as I write). It was heartbreaking puttting them into their crates, but we were reassured by the vet that they settle down quickly once they are on the plane. Will update tomorrow, hopefully with good news of a safe arrival.

Then we fly next Sunday (22 October) with a stopover in Langkawi, and meet up with them in 2 weeks time.

Definitely no turning back now....

Jayne and Rob
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dogs flying today..

Originally Posted by JayJay 88
We are now fully committed to moving to Perth - our two jack russells took to the skies today (in fact they are in the air as I write). It was heartbreaking puttting them into their crates, but we were reassured by the vet that they settle down quickly once they are on the plane. Will update tomorrow, hopefully with good news of a safe arrival.

Then we fly next Sunday (22 October) with a stopover in Langkawi, and meet up with them in 2 weeks time.

Definitely no turning back now....

Jayne and Rob

Hey, they'll be fine, really they will. But I know how you feel, sending your dogs is definately one of the if not the most stressful part of all this and the rest isn't exactly stress free is it!!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on and when you get there how they are - apart from being desperate to see you that is.

Take care and we might see you across there when we get there in April.

Nikki
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

CAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really nice

I know how worrying the whole dog thing is but I'm sure they'll be fine. At least your two got to go. One of our dogs keeps failing the Ehrlichia part of the blood tests and so he won't be able to fly tomorrow as planned. To make matters worse our other dog failed then passed and so we are reluctantly sending her tomorrow on her own so that she does not have to renew her paperwork a undergo retests. Worst part is that the vet thinks the other one is unlikely to ever pass so we are effectively having to seperate them and leave one behind perhaps forever. WE ARE GUTTED!
I don't feel positive about going now.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAZ76
I know how worrying the whole dog thing is but I'm sure they'll be fine. At least your two got to go. One of our dogs keeps failing the Ehrlichia part of the blood tests and so he won't be able to fly tomorrow as planned. To make matters worse our other dog failed then passed and so we are reluctantly sending her tomorrow on her own so that she does not have to renew her paperwork a undergo retests. Worst part is that the vet thinks the other one is unlikely to ever pass so we are effectively having to seperate them and leave one behind perhaps forever. WE ARE GUTTED!
I don't feel positive about going now.
Poor you, what a difficult decision. I haven't heard of dogs failing the Ehrlichia test - Nipper "failed" his lepto test, but when he was re-tested his levels had stayed the same which was ok. Is there anything they can do for the Ehrlichia?

Where are you heading - is it Perth? In which case we could look out for each others dogs?

Jayne
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

CAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really nice

We are heading for Brisbane. Our dogs were retested following a 2 week course of antibiotics. One then passed but the other still failed and his levels are very high. The vet reckons he should be dead but he is a raving loony so I'm very skeptical as to the validity of these tests. The other one will fly out tomorrow and he will have to stay with my father. We hope to try him on different antibiotics and retest in a month. Trouble is we fly out on Friday. Vet thinks it is unlikely he will pass but we've got to give it a go. We are torn!
Ehrlichia is a bacteria in the blood caused from tick bites. We have always treated him with Frontline but this obviously did not do the job. He did suffer with ticks as a puppy and the vet thinks his immune system has given him massive amounts of antibodies - hence why he is not ill but failing the tests. Unfortunately, if this is the case there is nothing that can be done.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Rick and Di is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jayne and Rob,

Good luck with your move, we are also heading for Perth next year and are taking our Jack Russell also. Would you mind telling us who you used and how much it costs for a dog this size?

Thanks,

Rick and Di
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Good news - dogs both got there fine, we spoke to Byford quarantine station and they say that they were a bit nervous to start with but are starting to relax now - both have eaten etc. We were a bit disappointed that the bedding/toys/medication that we taped to the outside of the crate has all disappeared in transit, but Byford reassured us that they provide bedding/towels etc so they won't be sleeping on the bare concrete! We will be seeing them on 31 October as soon as we get over to Oz, can't wait!

Rick and Di - we used Jets 4 Pets and they organised everything efficiently. The cost is about £1900 for 2 dogs - but you need to be aware that vets bills/blood tests are extra (cost around £400) - whereas some companies include them in their charges. We also took the dogs to Heathrow ourselves whereas some companies include transport. Overall I would recommend J4P's.

Jayne and Rob