Wikiposts

Dogs Disaster

Old Sep 7th 2005, 11:28 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dogs Disaster

I spoke with poppy's pet travel company today (Pet Travel services Dunfermline) - they have been absolutely brilliant with me so far and have answered any questions we have over pet shipping.

I came off the phone feeling very reasurred - apparantly 99% of dogs they have pass blood tests - Brucellosis is very rare and tends only to occur in dogs who's vaccinations were not up to date - if the dog tests +ve for this then they will never be allowed to fly though - apparantly cases of Brucellosis in the UK occur but they are very rare.

With regards to the blood tests for Lepto - this is the most likely one that your dog could have raised levels but Rosie at PTS said it was the best one for your dog to test +ve for as they can do something about it - she reiterated that a repeat blood test would be carried out 14 days later and if this showed the level was falling the dog would be allowed to fly. She said in cases where this has happened to dogs in their care almost 100% of raised Lepto levels can be related to the dog being given the Lepto vaccination within 6 months of the date of blood tests - its for this reason they advise if your dogs booster for Lepto is due within 6 months of the blood tests to withold it - she agreed its unlikely for the dog to contract Lepto unless they swim in water where water rats are present.

She said if the dog had lepto vacc within that 6 months then the dogs levels would be high for sure and this could cause delays in the dog flying.

Hope this clarifys things and that i'm not just repeating whats already been said,

Lynn
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:55 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

ok just realsied my English language capabilities have cocked me up again, I have vaccinated dogs, the lepto vaccine was substituted with sterile water because it bulks out the vaccines of the others and makes the injectable amount easier to administer.
As for heartworm both mine are treated for it, I meant the blood tests are a bit of an unknown thing, some vets my employers do not agree with it and say the test is just to get more money out of the public.
They defo insist on yearly vacinations, I have only read something this week that came into the surgery, it said about the whole vaccine debate and that the OZ vets have decided they could only vaccinate every 3 years but prefer seeing their clients more often and having yearly ones helps them find other problems the owners may miss when they come in. Yes admitedly a bit of a rip off but I can see where they are coming from.
Jenny
Old Sep 8th 2005, 2:39 am
off to Byron Bay....

loidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the rough

hi jo, just wanted to wish you good luck for the new blood test results. can imagine how you are feeling as i was on edge til i got our dgs results back, particularly as one dog had lepto vac only 5 months before test. i'm so sure it will be fine and soon you'll all be playing on the beach!! fingers crossed, shipping the dogs is easily the most stressful part i reckon...xx loidy
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Thanks Everyone for your support.

The news is that my dog(Dizzy, completley crazy Jack Russell) tests have come back positive 1/100, which is much lower than 1/800 her first test. However another chapter to the story ................

I rang my agent to tell him the good news, and he is now saying that he is not certain anymore about the blood tests, so he advise me to tell my Vet to ring the Vets at Heathrow Airport, which she has done and surprise surprise, they will not accept her in Australia, so now my dog has to have another blood test on Monday, if the blood results are lower then she is ok to fly a week Monday, if not then she will have to stay behind and be tested every month.

Fingers Crossed for Thursday for the test result, if in Doubt then get hold of the vets at the airport, they are on 01784 436367, if they do not know what is the regulations are, then who does ????.

Jo