British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Dogs blood tests (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dogs-blood-tests-470455/)

tracey.d Jul 31st 2007 3:59 pm

Dogs blood tests

I've just taken the 2 dogs for their blood tests today and the grand total for 2 lots of blood tests and frontline came to a grand total of £349.95 :ohmy:

They even charged me £1.79 for the postage to send the tests to the lab :rofl:

Does anybody else think that it's another way to sting us for our cash :sneaky:

TruBrit Jul 31st 2007 4:02 pm

Re: Dogs blood tests

Originally Posted by tracey.d (Post 5129729)
I've just taken the 2 dogs for their blood tests today and the grand total for 2 lots of blood tests and frontline came to a grand total of £349.95 :ohmy:

i'd count yourself lucky with that one tracey.....titre test $200 for each cat and not including frontline btw which i know is pricey and $15 for postage :eek:

tracey.d Jul 31st 2007 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5129738)
i'd count yourself lucky with that one tracey.....titre test $200 for each cat and not including frontline btw which i know is pricey and $15 for postage :eek:

bloomin heck, whats that for? Are you coming back to the uk or is that from US to Aus?

TruBrit Jul 31st 2007 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by tracey.d (Post 5129768)
bloomin heck, whats that for? Are you coming back to the uk or is that from US to Aus?

yep, for bringing them back to the uk...things aint that cheap here yer know, no exchange rate to play with when you are paid in $$ ;)

it was just for the blood test for the rabies/titre test :eek:

manic-miner Jul 31st 2007 4:26 pm

Hi there,

i was wondering how much you were quoted to take your dogs to australia?

tracey.d Jul 31st 2007 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by manic-miner (Post 5129835)
Hi there,

All together including blood tests quarantine etc. it will work out about £4000 that doesnt include getting them from Sydney to Brisbane. I havent got a clue how we're going to do that or how much it will cost yet!!!:unsure:
That's for a medum sized dog and a little chihuahua, it goes on size.

barney41 Jul 31st 2007 6:00 pm

That is really expensive, my dog has just had his 3 blood tests and frontline at a cost of £31 ish and the test results are on our shipping bill at £69 ish so around £100 total. Well it would be the total if he didn't fail two of the tests!! :frown:

Where in the North East did you have the tests? My dog had his at a vets in Hartburn, Stockton-on-Tees.

Tracey

Nozzys Jul 31st 2007 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by tracey.d (Post 5130099)
All together including blood tests quarantine etc. it will work out about £4000 that doesnt include getting them from Sydney to Brisbane. I havent got a clue how we're going to do that or how much it will cost yet!!!:unsure:

HI Tracey,
we are using par air to fly our dog and cat and they are arranging it all, once freed!! from quarantine they will be re crated and flown to Brissy where we will meet them, I think the additional cost was about $300.
Steve

tracey.d Jul 31st 2007 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by barney41 (Post 5130198)
That is really expensive, my dog has just had his 3 blood tests and frontline at a cost of £31 ish and the test results are on our shipping bill at £69 ish so around £100 total. Well it would be the total if he didn't fail two of the tests!! :frown:

Where in the North East did you have the tests? My dog had his at a vets in Hartburn, Stockton-on-Tees.

Tracey

Have pm'd you

tracey.d Jul 31st 2007 8:51 pm

They told me that they would prefer to keep the dogs there for a couple of hours , presumably so they could do it in their own time. I would have been quite happy to wait and take them home, thought I was doing them a favour.

Looking at the bill, they have charged me £42.30 for the privelege of that :sneaky:

Also £49.36 for 2 health assessments :mad:

What that entailed I don't know, they didn't require a health test, just a bloody blood test. I get more annoyed every time I look at the bill.

The total cost for the blood tests and frontline (paid for the full packet for each of them) was actually £227.74

So, they decided to charge me £120 + for things I hadn't even asked for :mad:

BallochBiddy Jul 31st 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by tracey.d (Post 5130738)
They told me that they would prefer to keep the dogs there for a couple of hours , presumably so they could do it in their own time. I would have been quite happy to wait and take them home, thought I was doing them a favour.

Looking at the bill, they have charged me £42.30 for the privelege of that :sneaky:

What that entailed I don't know, they didn't require a health test, just a bloody blood test. I get more annoyed every time I look at the bill.

The total cost for the blood tests and frontline (paid for the full packet for each of them) was actually £227.74

The process cost enough without people ripping you off. I'd be asking for money back:curse:

TruBrit Jul 31st 2007 9:12 pm

call them up and ask them why did they a) do the health assessments when you didn't ask for it to be done and b) why keep them there when you told them you'd stay......if you don't ask you don't get ;)

shiels Jul 31st 2007 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by tracey.d (Post 5130099)

We used Dogtainers cost $400 for a dog and a cat from Sydney to Coolangatta (gold coast) airport. C x

Originally Posted by manic-miner (Post 5129835)
Hi there,

We paid £2200 for a dog and a cat with Golden Arrow. C x

manic-miner Aug 1st 2007 7:30 am

Originally Posted by shiels (Post 5131136)
We used Dogtainers cost $400 for a dog and a cat from Sydney to Coolangatta (gold coast) airport. C x

We paid £2200 for a dog and a cat with Golden Arrow. C x

Thanks for the information,

I assume that does not include the quarantine costs for them either?

pam0512 Aug 1st 2007 7:49 am

Hi Tracy,
Just reading through this thread and I am shocked!! I took my dogs to our vet last week for blood tests and (as yet) haven't had the bill as he didn't know the cost there and then! Anyway, he took my dog into the back room and brought him back about 10 mins later...all done! Have your dogs been shipped then?? They only need the health checks max of 3 days before they fly so the vet didn't need to do them then...I would definitely question the reason for doing this..
Did you keep the rest of the pack of Frontline?? If not I would also be asking for that if I'd paid for them...Sounds like your vet is trying to pull a fast one as he thinks you haven't got a clue about the export requirements...I'd contact them and request explanations for each of the areas your unhappy about. Take the information from DEFRA and AQIS with you to show them you are well clued up on the requirements for your pets.. I have had to supply my vet with all the info as he didn't really have much of a clue having not completed and Aussie pet export before!! He has phoned me twice to check that I am all sorted with the paperwork and was shocked at how orgainsed I was when I took my dog in!! I think there are many unscrupulous people out there who think they can make more money for doing things that aren't necessary at the time!
Go for it girl!!!!!
Pam x x