Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dogs in Australia

Dogs in Australia

Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

brindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant future
Default Dogs in Australia

Are you a dog owner. Need some advice.
Are there limited places where you can let them off lead?
Can the heat be a bit 'too' much for them? Any areas in Australia where the temperature is not as hot!!!!
Are the snakes/spiders etc...a worry?

Got to weigh all this up as I hear of so many people leaving their dogs behind, is it due to the above or a money issue or a bit of both?
as I would not leave mine behind in the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs in Australia

Originally Posted by brindy
Can the heat be a bit 'too' much for them? Any areas in Australia where the temperature is not as hot!!!!

Got to weigh all this up as I hear of so many people leaving their dogs behind, is it due to the above or a money issue or a bit of both?
Hi there,

We live in Perth and have two dogs, one is a lab that we got as a pup at the age of 8 wks old (now almost 1 yr) the other we have just 'aquired' and was wondering the streets and was picked up by the ranger and was on the pound (they put them to sleep if they are on the pound and not claimed/re-homed after 10 days regardless of age, breeding etc etc) he is a jack russell x fox terrier about a year old- as far as dangers go, we live very near the beach and generally go down there for our morning walk, there are sand-dunes that are best left alone by humans and animals as as the weather gets warmer there can be snakes about. You also have to be careful if your dogs go in the sea as there can be riptides which can drag them out (a lady died not that long ago by trying to save her two dogs that had been swept out, can't remember where it was but i think it was further up the coast from us but it can happen anywhere), mine go in but if its too rough i tend to keep them out of it.

Both of ours are Aussie born and bred dogs so have grown up with the heat, they seem to cope okay with it and will lie in the shade or dig down in the sand to find a cooler spot, my lab had one of those kiddie sandpit shells with water in to sit in last summer which he seemed to like. I couldnt say how a dog coming over from England would fair, i'm sure there will be someone to give you a viewpoint on that soon.

As far as walking them goes, there are parks and dog beaches you can go to and as in UK the rules are pretty much the same, clear up after them and if they are aggressive or you think they will be a bit over zealous at times put them on a lead, if i do take them anywhere in the bush i always keep them on the lead.

good luck with your decision

little bear x
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

All good questions and issues that need weighing up, but the only problem we've found is lack of off-lead areas. We brought our dog across with us, and honestly none of the others are worth worrying about.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
All good questions and issues that need weighing up, but the only problem we've found is lack of off-lead areas. We brought our dog across with us, and honestly none of the others are worth worrying about.

Now I remember why i generally don't bother replying to questions on here-there is always someone waiting to shoot you down in flames
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:01 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

We have 2 dogs and they are fine...the only real worry is Paraylisis (think I spelt that right??) ticks. I have read loads on the internet about them and have had my dogs injected (once yearly) they seem quite scarey (as we dont have them/know about them in UK) but other than that its all good. There are plenty of Dog off leash areas....I personally think that this system is great, it is a confined fenced area that dogs can run around safely. There is usually drinking water and po bags provided too.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by little bear
[/COLOR]

Now I remember why i generally don't bother replying to questions on here-there is always someone waiting to shoot you down in flames
In what sense were you 'shot down in flames'?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
In what sense were you 'shot down in flames'?
it was highlighted!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see any shooting down in flames!

Anyway, we bought our dog, we would not have come had we not been able to bring our baby.

Here in Adealide we don't have the paralysis tick, so no need to worry about that. Heart worm is all over Oz, so you have to make sure you keep upto date with the tablets/injections.

We were worried about our dog and the heat too, but she loves it. Sunbathes and everything.

The main problem we have had is not being able to take the dog to so many places. Most national parks do not allow dogs at all, even on a lead. Now, if we go for a nice walk we like to take our dog. And we can't. Near us there are a few places you can have them off the lead, but they are only little parks, not so good for a nice walk. Most of the beaches here in winter you can have the dog off the lead but in summer time they must be on between 10am and 8pm. Our ball chasing dog doesn't understand why for 6 months she can chase her ball, and then the next 6 months only when it is getting dark/dark.

We have been planning a road trip to Melbourne and have struggled to find dog friendly things to do. :curse:

I agree really, that if your dog is a member of your family, then leaving them behind is not an option.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I didn't see any shooting down in flames!

Anyway, we bought our dog, we would not have come had we not been able to bring our baby.

Here in Adealide we don't have the paralysis tick, so no need to worry about that. Heart worm is all over Oz, so you have to make sure you keep upto date with the tablets/injections.

We were worried about our dog and the heat too, but she loves it. Sunbathes and everything.

The main problem we have had is not being able to take the dog to so many places. Most national parks do not allow dogs at all, even on a lead. Now, if we go for a nice walk we like to take our dog. And we can't. Near us there are a few places you can have them off the lead, but they are only little parks, not so good for a nice walk. Most of the beaches here in winter you can have the dog off the lead but in summer time they must be on between 10am and 8pm. Our ball chasing dog doesn't understand why for 6 months she can chase her ball, and then the next 6 months only when it is getting dark/dark.

We have been planning a road trip to Melbourne and have struggled to find dog friendly things to do. :curse:

I agree really, that if your dog is a member of your family, then leaving them behind is not an option.
Yeah yeah
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

You really are a rude, paranoid person arn't you!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it was highlighted!
If you have a look at my original post, you'll see I was replying to the OP's question, not your reply. Had I wanted to respond to your reply I would have done.

The OP asked for dog owners input into specific concerns she has, those being:
1). Are there limited off lead opportunities?
2) Can the heat be too much?
3) Are there areas in Oz which are cooler?
4) Are the snakes / spiders a worry?

I replied yes to the first and regarding the remainder I replied they weren't worth worry about because:
a) My dog really likes the heat.
b) My dog has never been bitten by a spider or swallowed whole by a python.

Should either of those unfortunate situations subsequently arise, then I'll be sure to start a thread on BE about it, until then I'll continue not to worry.

IMHO
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:47 am
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

We brought our dog over with us shes a cocker spaniel and was only 2 years old .It is a lot of money uk costs and oz costs but its worth it. When it gets too hot she lies in the shade or in the house and it gets you out of the house taking her for walks.
</IMG>
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
You really are a rude, paranoid person arn't you!
like i said- yeah yeah
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

like i said- yeah yeah
Is it chucking out time in Perth?

Or is it just off-games week?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can we please stop the sniping.
Spartacus has explained their original reply, and there appear to me to be absolutely nothing wrong with the opinions given in it, which were addressed to the OP.

Back on topic please!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.