Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog at the vets being treated for paraylsis ticks

Dog at the vets being treated for paraylsis ticks

Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog at the vets being treated for paraylsis ticks

Hi Everyone

I have great news!!! My dog has been allowed to come home!!! She's doing much better. She's still weak in her back legs and her breathing is poor but she seems to have made it through the worst of it. We now have to keep her quiet for 2 weeks - not easy as she is a very lively dog!! Apparently due to the paralysis her heart is affected and if she gets too excited it could cause her to die .

Anyway, I am one of the lucky ones with a seemingly happy ending to this, but many many dogs do not make it through this.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi Everyone

I have great news!!! My dog has been allowed to come home!!! She's doing much better. She's still weak in her back legs and her breathing is poor but she seems to have made it through the worst of it. We now have to keep her quiet for 2 weeks - not easy as she is a very lively dog!! Apparently due to the paralysis her heart is affected and if she gets too excited it could cause her to die .

Anyway, I am one of the lucky ones with a seemingly happy ending to this, but many many dogs do not make it through this.

Love

Rudi
x
Great news
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:25 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a few kids in itu recently having been paralysed by those wee feckers,apparently Bobby is up north sorting them out
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
We have had a few kids in itu recently having been paralysed by those wee feckers,apparently Bobby is up north sorting them out
Nor i'm back !!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news, Rudes.

I'm now totally neurotic about them; my cats are sick of being inspected.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 8:01 am
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

My poor dog has been bitten by at least a couple of paralysis ticks.

Yesterday (Boxing day) she seemed to be breathing badly and when we checked her over we found a tick on her. We managed to find a vet who was open and took her straight there. On the way my daughter found another tick on the dog. When we got there the vet nurse saw her and pulled the ticks straight out - I had not realised you could do this as I thought it was a problem to leave the head in, but apparently not.

We thought we would see the vet as well but the vet nurse advised us that we should take her home and keep an eye on her. Last night we kept her quiet and thought she was ok. However, this morning she was wobbly on her back legs and was vomiting. We were able to go to our local vet today where she has been admitted. She has fluid on her lungs and an increased heart rate as well as the partial paralysis in her back legs. The vet was surprised and obviously unhappy with the advice we had received the previous day and felt she should have been admitted then.

She is going to be sedated and given anti serum today and they hope this will work but she is in a critical condition right now.

We have "protected" our dogs with Frontline Plus, but this has obviously not been adequate. The vet says the most reliable way to keep your dog safe is to check them over thoroughly every single day.

I will keep you updated on how she's going, we are really upset and worried about her at the moment

Love

Rudi
x

I am a vet nurse for manly road vets, brisbane, qld and the nurse should of no way said that we have a scale and all dogs anywhere on the scale are addmitted and given tick antiserum and closly observed. We are the only 24hr practice in redlands and the other closest is in logan.
I can't belive you were told that if we have any animal brought in with ticks and the Owner decides to take the animal home after the tick antiserum they have to sign a form to say they understand the risks they are taking by taking the animal home against vet advise.
Frontline does work on tick although it isn't licsensed for it but you have to apply every 2 weeks.
Fingers crossed all goes well email if you have any questions I can help you with. becki
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
I am a vet nurse for manly road vets, brisbane, qld and the nurse should of no way said that we have a scale and all dogs anywhere on the scale are addmitted and given tick antiserum and closly observed. We are the only 24hr practice in redlands and the other closest is in logan.
I can't belive you were told that if we have any animal brought in with ticks and the Owner decides to take the animal home after the tick antiserum they have to sign a form to say they understand the risks they are taking by taking the animal home against vet advise.
Frontline does work on tick although it isn't licsensed for it but you have to apply every 2 weeks.
Fingers crossed all goes well email if you have any questions I can help you with. becki
Hi Becki

Thank you for the post. My dog is doing really well today and seems much brighter. We are keeping her very quiet and only allowing her outside on her lead so she cannot run around the garden barking madly at the other dog and the chicken!!! I have decided not to go out for the new year celebrations with my family tonight as she really freaks out with fireworks if she is alone......not good for her heart!

I was a complete "novice" about ticks a week ago. We went to Manly because, as you say they are a 24 hour vet and they and a place in Underwood were the only 2 options available to us on Boxing Day. I was told before I left home that the price would be $139 - I made the choice to take my dog knowing I would have to pay this fee and was happy to do so.

I do not know the name of the person I saw - it was all done at the desk. There was a family with a greyhound who had obviously just had some puppies just leaving and the girl who was seeing them out saw me. She was in her late 20's to early 30's I would guess. From memory I think she may have had blondy brown hair, maybe tied in a bun at the back and she was perhaps a bit overweight.

I asked a LOT of questions, I did not know you could just pull ticks out, but she assured me this was fine and that if the tick head got left in it would find it's way out ok. I asked about the ticks themselves and talked about the fact that I has used the Frontline. She told me that the ticks were not particularly engorged (although looking on the Internet myself since I would suggest that they were more engorged than I had understood at the time) and that due to the Frontline protection the ticks looked pretty sick and that my dog would probably be fine. I am not sure how you tell a tick is sick but there you go!

She then said I should take the dog home. I asked if I needed to see the vet and she said that I could if I wanted to. I had been reassured by what she told me, but rather than make the decision myself I put the ball back in her court and asked her what she would do. She said that she would take the dog home and keep an eye on her. She told me that the vet was open 24 hours and that I could take her back if I needed to. She did not suggest giving my dog antiserum at any stage in the conversation.

One other small complication from all this is that due to where the tick was in my dogs head she has some damage to her eye and is unable to blink at the moment. We have some eye drops / gel to put in and this should improve within about a week.

By the next day my local vet was open and that is where I ended up taking my dog. She was great, as I have to say I am sure most vets are - vets and other people who work with animals, I have found tend to be very caring people who have a genuine love of animals and a genuine need to make them well.

My dog is sitting at my feet as I type, and I can hear some fireworks popping in the distance, but she is relaxed.

Thanks again for your concern.

Rudi
x
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:06 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Becki

Thank you for the post. My dog is doing really well today and seems much brighter. We are keeping her very quiet and only allowing her outside on her lead so she cannot run around the garden barking madly at the other dog and the chicken!!! I have decided not to go out for the new year celebrations with my family tonight as she really freaks out with fireworks if she is alone......not good for her heart!

I was a complete "novice" about ticks a week ago. We went to Manly because, as you say they are a 24 hour vet and they and a place in Underwood were the only 2 options available to us on Boxing Day. I was told before I left home that the price would be $139 - I made the choice to take my dog knowing I would have to pay this fee and was happy to do so.

I do not know the name of the person I saw - it was all done at the desk. There was a family with a greyhound who had obviously just had some puppies just leaving and the girl who was seeing them out saw me. She was in her late 20's to early 30's I would guess. From memory I think she may have had blondy brown hair, maybe tied in a bun at the back and she was perhaps a bit overweight.

I asked a LOT of questions, I did not know you could just pull ticks out, but she assured me this was fine and that if the tick head got left in it would find it's way out ok. I asked about the ticks themselves and talked about the fact that I has used the Frontline. She told me that the ticks were not particularly engorged (although looking on the Internet myself since I would suggest that they were more engorged than I had understood at the time) and that due to the Frontline protection the ticks looked pretty sick and that my dog would probably be fine. I am not sure how you tell a tick is sick but there you go!

She then said I should take the dog home. I asked if I needed to see the vet and she said that I could if I wanted to. I had been reassured by what she told me, but rather than make the decision myself I put the ball back in her court and asked her what she would do. She said that she would take the dog home and keep an eye on her. She told me that the vet was open 24 hours and that I could take her back if I needed to. She did not suggest giving my dog antiserum at any stage in the conversation.

One other small complication from all this is that due to where the tick was in my dogs head she has some damage to her eye and is unable to blink at the moment. We have some eye drops / gel to put in and this should improve within about a week.

By the next day my local vet was open and that is where I ended up taking my dog. She was great, as I have to say I am sure most vets are - vets and other people who work with animals, I have found tend to be very caring people who have a genuine love of animals and a genuine need to make them well.

My dog is sitting at my feet as I type, and I can hear some fireworks popping in the distance, but she is relaxed.

Rudi
x

I am so glad your dog is OK Rudi. I was just saying to my husband how I am glad I live in Perth with no paraylsis ticks

In one practice I worked in, I received a phone call at about ten minutes before I was due to finish.

A lady who had a female cat that kept licking her genitals, going to the litter tray and then getting quite distressed as she kept licking herself.

The lady had phoned up her normal vet - one I used to work for and the nurse advised her to send her home and see how she was in 24 hours.

I was bloody horrified and told the woman to come in ASAP. Ten minutes later she turned up with an extremely ill cat with a distended tummy and blocked bladder.

Our vet reckoned a few hours later and that bladder would have ruptured and she would have died.

We managed to unblock her and I contacted the other vet and told them what their nurse had said - he too was furious and I dont know what happened to that nurse.

Thank God they are trying to regulate the profession in the UK now, all newly qualified nurses go onto the register and anyone qualifying before a certain date can voluntarily go on the register which is what I did and we have to keep up our CPD as well.

I have been offered some locum work as a vet nurse here, I dont know what the regulations for maintaining CPD are in Australia but it certainly is important as bad and incorrect advice can have devastating consequences as you nearly found out.

I am so pleased your dog is going to get better and it wasn't just the skill of the vet but your dedicated home nursing and ownership of your pet.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:45 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Hi Becki

Rudi
x
Glad to hear your dog is at home now and recovering.

We would not use Frontline in future as don't think it works, my sisters dog went to the vet in the UK prior to coming to Australia and Frontline was applied as per Australian Quarantine requirements for the dog prior to leaving the UK and the next day the dog was covered in fleas and so were my sister and brother-in-law! This was the first time ever the dog had fleas! The odg must have got fleas at the vets and the Frontline did nothing to control them.

They normally use a tick and flea collar and we have found dead (or sick!!!!) ticks in the house but not on the dog so maybe the flea collar is working.
They also have a dog shampoo which deals with ticks that they bought in Canada (don't know if a similar product is available here) and vets in Canada advise a drop of neat shampoo on the tick prior to removal kills them before they are taken out and therefore the head comes out also.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:01 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Good outcome for Rudi..

Our dog Xena (cavalier spaniel) has had tick paralysis a couple of times and on both occassions had several days in ICU and was lucky to survive.

The last episode (a couple of years ago now) when we got Xena to the Vet we were told we'd done exceptionaly well to spot that she was off-colour. We couldnt find a tick, Xena had just had half a day not eating and her back leg slid out from under her ONCE. The vet located a tick that we had missed and admitted her immediately. A week later Xena was back at home and very weak, but thanks to the outstanding round-the-clock care of our vet (who said he was really surprised she survived) made a full recovery.

We now change Xena's 'preventic' collar every 6 weeks without fail YEAR-ROUND (there is no such thing as tick season, we've encountered them in June, and December).

I even picked up a tick myself one year whilst painting a fence in our backyard. It was on the inside of my elbow and was removed within a couple of hours but for 3 days afterwards I had a noticably stiff aching arm.

These ticks are NASTY!!!!