Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog killed by plane at Canberra

Wikiposts

Dog killed by plane at Canberra

Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:13 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog killed by plane at Canberra

Originally Posted by black cat
It was the deciding factor for me- these latest horrors just reconfirm my decision!
Perhaps I'll become a house cat and not go out so much, or perhaps my OH will get me a collar and lead
Thought this was a forum about moving to Aus not about your sex life dear
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:24 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Obviously both types of crate have been tested in order to pass the minimum IATA safety criteria. As well as making sure the crates themselves are strong enough, all measures should be taken to ensure they are not subject to undue stress (eg by a fall) in the first place. When this is as simple as securing crates with a strap or using an enclosed vehicle there is no excuse as to why it is not done all the time, every time.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately it is obvious this isn't the case with making sure they are secure. Really do think ASPCA have a case to get involved here.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:56 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

It is shocking what happened to Toby ... but, just to add a little perspective, it is the first time I have heard of this happening to a BE members pet over the time I have been coming on here. Thousands of pets have been delivered with no problems at all, mine included.

I am not trying to belittle Toby's death at all and I truly hope they are able to get some justice but Import and export of livestock has always had its issues and measures have been taken to improve standards over the years but at the end of the day human error is always going to rear its ugly head and you will always get those types that work as handlers that dont give a toss.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
You will always get those types that work as handlers that dont give a toss.
Sack them then and charge them with negligent treatment of animals.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Have to concur. I don't think I will be taking our cat. Aside from the cost there is just so much to worry about that I don't think all of it is worth it. I'm not sure how I will be able to part with my cat but I will just have to.

I read this articule on the ABC site today and thought - apart from the Toby case - how many more cases are there that we don't know about. Very few of these cases will have been reported through the media so I think it's difficult to say it is so rare. How would we know that?

Hey black cat - just saw you on another forum. Though I recognised your eyes.
Me too - I found both my cats good homes - unfortuantely they had to be separated - but that didn't bother them - they never really got on

But I found it so hard to give my Felix up, she was 10 years old at the time, and I cried for weeks and I still miss her 3 years on. If I could have afforded the money - and also had somewhere to live I would have considered it - but the bottom line weas - she was a fluffy white outdoor cat and would not have faired well in Oz. Prone to skin cancer the vet said.

She is happy in her new home and I have seen her on the web cam a few times.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

I think its shocking Ive just rang our dog handlers that our taking our dogs back to UK. They said that they have no control over the dogs in the handling department once at the airport but said they use international handlers and not domestic ones and that they are more responsible.

The guy I spoke was shocked when I told him what had happened and that there are stories on forums about what happens to these animals and he said that some of these companies are still using the old crates and not the new ones.

My two are being picked up next week and he is sending their actual crates so that we can inspect them. He was very understanding and did his upmost to assure me, but it doesnt make me feel any happier.

My heart goes out to Toby - I also have a Toby and if anything happens to either of my dogs I would be devastated!!! what a horrible experience for these owners, and thank God for forums like these that make people aware of what really can and does happen to animals!!!

I think I gave him something to think about that if anything happens I will deffo be posting on here the good and the bad about my handlers they do seem to have a good reputation and I will let you know how we get on.

Kath

BTW they are NOT strapped into these open back transporters to these planes so my thought is they must drive flippin stupid for them to fall off, dont you think?

Last edited by Kath & Graham; Oct 24th 2007 at 3:59 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 7:48 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JoolsB
There are 2 types of crate -the wooden ones or the plastic with heavy steel door (the latter being more expensive).

Is it the wooden ones that keep breaking I wonder as I would have thought the plastic more durable and less likely to split.

I would like to know as I would like to make my decision based on whichever is strongest (as Im sure we all would)

Anyone know??
We shipped our dog (German Shepherd x Collie) in a plastic crate. The two halves - top & bottom are screwed together and it takes some doing to separate them to store them. It would hold together even if one or two of the screws were undone or missing. It would need something pretty drastic to happen to break it open.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 7:53 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snowbunny
http://www.petcentreonline.co.uk/eco...tegory~115.htm

these folks might know?

Looking around the Sky Kennels look fairly sturdy.
The Vari Kennels are the best as they have 6 screws - 3 on each side which physically have to be undone to seperate the two halves - top & bottom. The others have clips which can be flipped up if caught on anything or lose and the crate will open.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:03 pm
The Brains

We were advised by our vet that as our pets were not used to being confined for a long period of time it would be best to have the crates some time before and shut them in them for short periods of time gradually increasing it so that they got used to it.

We left the doors off and put their beds in the crates and they got used to sleeping in them. We then put the doors on several times so they didn't panic at being shut in.

It worked very well and we had a very relaxed dog. The cat was stressed but he always is at anything new and would have been more so if they hadn't travelled together where he could see our dog all the time.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:07 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well as one poster mentioned, when she was at Brisbane Airport whilst waiting on her plane, she witnessed handlers kick a crate with a dog inside across the tarmac.

So it can explain why sturdy boxes are coming apart - being thrown, dropped or kicked will not help.

And I do not think this cruelty is an isolated incident, I think it is a regular occurance.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ray2gill
We were advised by our vet that as our pets were not used to being confined for a long period of time it would be best to have the crates some time before and shut them in them for short periods of time gradually increasing it so that they got used to it.

We left the doors off and put their beds in the crates and they got used to sleeping in them. We then put the doors on several times so they didn't panic at being shut in.

It worked very well and we had a very relaxed dog. The cat was stressed but he always is at anything new and would have been more so if they hadn't travelled together where he could see our dog all the time.
What a great idea.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Our dog loves his crate still-he used to go into kennels with it and will quite happily still sit in it-obviously not too traumatised by the whole experience then ! Mind you, he did use it internationally 3 times !

Originally Posted by smee
What a great idea.