Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog information required

Dog information required

Old Sep 29th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog information required

Originally Posted by eddie007
In which case... If you are loosing your murderous intent your ONLY option is to suck it up and getting the dog....
I might not have to actually kill him myself - daft bugger was chasing Mini round the house in his reading glasses, tripped over the sofa, and has a big bash on his head ...
Old Sep 29th 2013, 3:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I might not have to actually kill him myself - daft bugger was chasing Mini round the house in his reading glasses, tripped over the sofa, and has a big bash on his head ...
Ouch.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 10:06 pm
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what its like in WA but we have found it far more difficult to source pet friendly holiday options in Aus (specifically the Adelaide, Mildura, Clare Valley areas). We have found some places thankfully and there are some specific websites like http://www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au/

Also remember that (depending on the breed) when its warm you have to be very careful when leaving your dog in the car for any length of time even with water, windows open, under shade etc.

We love dogs/our dogs but they are a big commitment
Old Sep 29th 2013, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Ah....Eddie's comments make me laugh!

I met this lady down at the shops with this HUGE labrdoodley dog, he was gorgeous but she said mmm... all his brothers and sisters turned out normal size and he got the giant genes, so yes, do be careful and make sure you get the right generation cross.

We thought about getting a dog, so I looked at quite a few dog breeds but they all had some odd personality trait so gave up and got cats again! Still, they are stupid, they hate people coming to the house but love going to the cattery!

As Eddie says go to a good shelter where they will match you and the dog. My friend in the UK has had a few rescue dogs, two have worked out well but one had to be returned as despite training and even a dog whisperer she couldn't cope with the dog in the end, and she has had lots of experience with them. Check out their backgrounds and why they are there.

Good luck and hope that no one has to lose their life and you can all live happily together!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 11:36 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems from your post that you are less than keen to get a dog/puppy, but the rest of your family are very keen? If so think carefully about who will be doing the caring bit - if its you and you are not really keen, then you are going to be resentful of the dog pretty quickly.
You can either get a puppy, which is a whole heap of work for 12 to 18 months, especially the first 6, but how they turn out temperament wise is mostly down to you, or a rescue who are less puppy type work but may have a few personality traits that you were not expecting.

I have a very gentle labradoodle who is 16kg, just below knee high and 14 months old. I got little sleep for a couple of months, took me 3 months to reliably toilet train him and he costs me a small fortune in food, toys, grooming etc! However I have waited and wanted a dog for ever and it took me 2 years to get my OH to agree - and I do all the walking, cleaning up etc.
He was one of a litter of 5 and one of his litter mates is enormous at 30kg.
I would strongly advise against getting a puppy from a pet shop, but if you want a puppy go to a breeder. Rescue homes do not often have puppies.

I will try and upload a couple of photos of him as a puppy and more recently to give you an idea. He doesn't shed but does need clipped 3 times a year.

Good luck with your decision!
Attached Thumbnails Dog information required-murphy-8-months.jpeg   Dog information required-img_1142.jpg   Dog information required-img_1483.jpg  
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Sounds rather similar to my own experiences a few years back but instead of the small child wanting a dog it was me whilst my wife was not keen at all.

We also wanted a medium sized dog, minimal grooming, no noticeable doggy smell and one that was good with kids.

We went for a Hungarian Vizsla (picture attached) and she's been fantastic and superb with the kids - very easy going and a great personality . Personally I love having her, but...

It is an enormous responsibility and it does change your life. She needs walking at least once a day, preferably twice. She's very active so that means at least an hour a day. Otherwise they get bored which can lead to some destructive behaviour.

Weekends away and holidays can also be a challenge, though there are plenty of dog friendly places on Stayz. Vizsla need a lot of human company so kennels are not really an option so we pay a dog trainer to look after ours, which isn't cheap.

Then there are the costs associated with bedding, grooming, feeding, toys, vets and insurance etc etc.

My wife has found that she ends up doing more of the walking than she would like and would give up the dog in an instant ! It has caused us a lot of grief and a few arguments as well.

On the plus side, the kids adore her, the kids and I like having her around and it does keep us more active.

You are right to be cautious. My experience would suggest that unless you are all fully committed to it and understand the impact on your life then perhaps now is not a great time.

Good luck.
Col
Attached Thumbnails Dog information required-keli-lake.jpg   Dog information required-keli-9-weeks-blanket.jpg  
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Hi,

Sounds rather similar to my own experiences a few years back but instead of the small child wanting a dog it was me whilst my wife was not keen at all.

We also wanted a medium sized dog, minimal grooming, no noticeable doggy smell and one that was good with kids.

We went for a Hungarian Vizsla (picture attached) and she's been fantastic and superb with the kids - very easy going and a great personality . Personally I love having her, but...

It is an enormous responsibility and it does change your life. She needs walking at least once a day, preferably twice. She's very active so that means at least an hour a day. Otherwise they get bored which can lead to some destructive behaviour.

Weekends away and holidays can also be a challenge, though there are plenty of dog friendly places on Stayz. Vizsla need a lot of human company so kennels are not really an option so we pay a dog trainer to look after ours, which isn't cheap.

Then there are the costs associated with bedding, grooming, feeding, toys, vets and insurance etc etc.

My wife has found that she ends up doing more of the walking than she would like and would give up the dog in an instant ! It has caused us a lot of grief and a few arguments as well.

On the plus side, the kids adore her, the kids and I like having her around and it does keep us more active.

You are right to be cautious. My experience would suggest that unless you are all fully committed to it and understand the impact on your life then perhaps now is not a great time.

Good luck.
Col
If you all can't fully commit then I doubt that situation will ever change... Relationships are based on give and take, and occasionally in families majority rules....

Unless you live in my house...
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:21 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

First pic was our Jack at approx 6 months old - 1st gen silver labradoodle. DD was a 2 yr old at the time. 2nd pic is a couple of months later.

The 3rd photo was taken last year with Jack now a fully grown 5 yr old. DD is now 7.

On his back legs, he stands almost as tall as me But he is the softest, most beautifully natured dog who adores the children, especially DD. It was hard leaving him behind, but he is happy with my parents.
Attached Thumbnails Dog information required-003.jpg   Dog information required-p230808_08.36%5B01%5D.jpg   Dog information required-leaving-2012-eire-scotland-dawn-lodge-192.jpg  
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Good luck.
Col
Is your dog called Paprika?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Is your dog called Paprika?
Nope, that would have been too obvious ! Her name is Keli.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, that would have been too obvious ! Her name is Keli.
There is a Paprika that goes to McDonald's reserve.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much, everyone. Lots of food for thought.

I don't really want a dog (as opposed to really don't want one) and husband is actually the same (stupid comment came as they were being licked in a park) so I think the best plan is to talk Mini out of it. It is a huge commitment, and not something we want to do half-heartedly.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe your son could offer some voluntary help at a nearby rescue center and help with the feeding, walking, playing and cleaning out and then either the idea will wear off or you have a good basis to decide if this is a real desire and you might be able to adopt one of the residents he has helped to look after? When I was 7 I used to "help" out at the local vet's practice.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Thanks so much, everyone. Lots of food for thought.

I don't really want a dog (as opposed to really don't want one) and husband is actually the same (stupid comment came as they were being licked in a park) so I think the best plan is to talk Mini out of it. It is a huge commitment, and not something we want to do half-heartedly.
My children went on and on at me for years and years regarding a dog and I eventually in a moment of weakness gave in... worst mistake ever... we ended up with a dog that was lonely, I was the only one taking him walks, I was the one taking him puppy school, he destroyed our garden and the novelty factor of a dog wore off very quickly with the teenagers. We really didn't have a lifestyle that suited the dog so after 6 months I found the dog a lovely new home with a couple that did have the time, did have other dogs for company and also had the lifestyle the dog needed.... it was a very expensive and emotional mistake so I would really think before you take a puppy / dog into your life.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

When we first got our puppy the kids were so excited, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly, even when he was joined by a female companion. They were cute and cuddly for the kids, that was all. Despite promises to help groom them, pick up their poo, play ball and help with training, it ended up with me nagging them all the time and then just doing it myself, just like everything else And also a hubby moaning because days/weekends out had to be organised around being home for the dogs or organising for them to go in kennels, plus all the expense.

Vets bills are astronomical, insurance gets dearer every year, and the most inclusive policies still have lots of exclusions and a $500 excess. The one time we did have to claim, there was a lot of paperwork to fill in, because our last vetinerary practice had shut down and we were unable to provide previous medical history.

We haven't exercised our dogs by walking them locally for a long time - there are just so many stray dogs/dogs jumping fences it was too scary for me and I certainly wasn't going to risk any of my children getting caught up in a dog fight. We just play ball in the garden instead. The number of times I've had to do a quick about-turn and head off in the opposite direction because a huge Rottweiler is out loose again (and praying said Rotty hasn't spotted us). There are dog-attack stories in the local paper and on tv all the time; sadly a reflection of the sort of people in society these days, who get a dog and don't bother training it properly and don't keep it properly fenced in. Because of the mainly nice all-round weather here, many dogs are "outside" dogs i.e. they stay out in the yard all the time but often escape, or drive the neighbours nuts barking.

Getting a dog to teach children about responsiblity probably educates the parents more than the child! Could you perhaps buy your son a caged animal (mouse, guinea pig) so it won't matter so much when the novelty wears off? Or maybe a couple of hens which seems to be the in thing these days? They pretty much look after themselves and can be left with food and water if you want to go away for a few days, or get someone to call in and feed them. Your son can still pick them up and stroke them, and you get fresh eggs as a bonus!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.