Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dog failed 2nd lepto test...

dog failed 2nd lepto test...

Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:27 pm
On way to OZ!

*meg* is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dog failed 2nd lepto test...

Hi we are looking for advice as we are in a bit of a situation. We have 2 boxer bitches our flight was booked for the 26th july and the dogs on the 8th aug as perth quarantine was booked until then. That was ok as our 18 year old son is staying in the uk untill the 26 aug then he joins us down here so the dogs were staying with him. Holly the white boxer failed her second lepto blood test last week and we dont knowm what to do. Holly had 1st test 2 weeks ago and tested positve the vet said as long as she stayed the same she would be ok, she had her second test last monday 24th july (the 2nd bitch was ok) We didnt find out untill we had arrived in Perth on thursday night, as you can imagine we are in a bit of a state as we dont know what to do.Our friends back home have been to the vet and he said that holly can retested again in a few weeks but there is no guarentee that she will test negative then. Has anyone else had this happen to them any advice is welcome bad or good. Our firends are trying to rehome the 2 dogs back in the uk but this is proving difficult as you can imagine. We also dont know weather to bring the other dog out on her own as she will probably seperated from holly anyway as no one wants two large dogs.. Help...
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:20 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog failed 2nd lepto test...

Originally Posted by *meg*
Hi we are looking for advice as we are in a bit of a situation. We have 2 boxer bitches our flight was booked for the 26th july and the dogs on the 8th aug as perth quarantine was booked until then. That was ok as our 18 year old son is staying in the uk untill the 26 aug then he joins us down here so the dogs were staying with him. Holly the white boxer failed her second lepto blood test last week and we dont knowm what to do. Holly had 1st test 2 weeks ago and tested positve the vet said as long as she stayed the same she would be ok, she had her second test last monday 24th july (the 2nd bitch was ok) We didnt find out untill we had arrived in Perth on thursday night, as you can imagine we are in a bit of a state as we dont know what to do.Our friends back home have been to the vet and he said that holly can retested again in a few weeks but there is no guarentee that she will test negative then. Has anyone else had this happen to them any advice is welcome bad or good. Our firends are trying to rehome the 2 dogs back in the uk but this is proving difficult as you can imagine. We also dont know weather to bring the other dog out on her own as she will probably seperated from holly anyway as no one wants two large dogs.. Help...
Hi guys,

This kinda happened to us except our dog passed second time. One suggestion that was made was a two week course of antibiotics. This thread by Paul&Nic might help.

Cheers

Ginny

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358473
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:02 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry you are going through this - what a nightmare for you.

I understood that the dogs are clear to fly out when the lepto antibody levels start dropping (at best) or stays the same (at worst). I also understood that tests are repeated every two weeks, so I would have thought Holly was firstly, tested too soon after the initial positive test, and secondly, due to be tested again now. Is there a pet export company handling their export for you or are you doing it yourselves?

I would certainly go ahead and export your dog that has tested okay for lepto - you have quarantine booked, and presumably the flight as well. It would be rash to forfeit all that money now. As far as Holly is concerned, if she can be tested again soon she might still make that flight. If not, the worst that can happen is for her to stay with your son a little longer until she gets a better test result. As Stitch says, antibiotics are a possibility also? Not ideal but if it does the job...?

Out of curiosity, do you know why Holly is showing high levels of antibodies? Has your vet mistakenly given the lepto jab in the last six months? Perhaps not realising that you were emigrating?

Good luck - I'm sure you're feeling devastated right now, but don't give up. Your pups will be together again soon, I'm sure.

Sue
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

This happened to us. Our vet explained that the lepto readings will go up each time the dog is in contact with lepto as it is the antibodies kicking in. We lived in quite a rural part and he said that lepto would be found all over the place especially near water. To combat this we kept our dogs indoors for the two weeks before their next test. Complete pain in the neck I know, but it worked. We just tried to keep them in a fairly sterile environment, no shoes coming indoors or anything from the outside (within reason obviously) and it worked for us. Lepto levels were right down third test and happy doggies flew out to join us.

I do wish that more people would be advised about keeping their dogs indoors before the lepto test.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
This happened to us. Our vet explained that the lepto readings will go up each time the dog is in contact with lepto as it is the antibodies kicking in. We lived in quite a rural part and he said that lepto would be found all over the place especially near water. To combat this we kept our dogs indoors for the two weeks before their next test. Complete pain in the neck I know, but it worked. We just tried to keep them in a fairly sterile environment, no shoes coming indoors or anything from the outside (within reason obviously) and it worked for us. Lepto levels were right down third test and happy doggies flew out to join us.

I do wish that more people would be advised about keeping their dogs indoors before the lepto test.
Yep wise words. We did exactly the same - living fairly rural - did take the dog out for walks but only down the road, not out into the fields.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:28 am
On way to OZ!

Originally Posted by sunbather

We too lived in a rural part and Holly is always in the water it is a nightmare as we are in perth now and dogs in uk. Friends have started to try and rehome them for us it is a complete mess at moment but your information throws a different light on it . As soon as the uk is up and about we try and speak to somone over there to see what can be done next. Our biggest fear is that Holly who is seven and white (boxer) is an acquired taste and we dont like the thought of her being dumped in a rescue home on her own, so we were looking for a place for them to be together, Difficult i know under the circumstances.
Our vet gave us no info on keeping them in(i dont think he knew himself...) if they had things would have been didfferent i can tell you. Thanks again for that. Once this is resolved maybe we can move on and start enjoying our new life down here. Hopefully .
Love Helen
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:33 am
On way to OZ!

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Sorry you are going through this - what a nightmare for you.

I understood that the dogs are clear to fly out when the lepto antibody levels start dropping (at best) or stays the same (at worst). I also understood that tests are repeated every two weeks, so I would have thought Holly was firstly, tested too soon after the initial positive test, and secondly, due to be tested again now. Is there a pet export company handling their export for you or are you doing it yourselves?

I would certainly go ahead and export your dog that has tested okay for lepto - you have quarantine booked, and presumably the flight as well. It would be rash to forfeit all that money now. As far as Holly is concerned, if she can be tested again soon she might still make that flight. If not, the worst that can happen is for her to stay with your son a little longer until she gets a better test result. As Stitch says, antibiotics are a possibility also? Not ideal but if it does the job...?

Out of curiosity, do you know why Holly is showing high levels of antibodies? Has your vet mistakenly given the lepto jab in the last six months? Perhaps not realising that you were emigrating?

Good luck - I'm sure you're feeling devastated right now, but don't give up. Your pups will be together again soon, I'm sure.

Sue
hi sue no we dont know the reason why her levels are up, they had their last booster last september but as ive just read it can be contracted through water which Holly loves so this maybe part of reason why..Jets 4pets are handling the girls but they got no answeres at moment so we will speak to someone in the uk as soon as they are awake. It is so difficult as we are the other side of the world so much for our new start.. Hopfully it will all work out in the end.
many thanks love helen
Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

We too lived in a rural part and Holly is always in the water
It's the water that is the biggest problem. Prevalent with rats who carry the Lepto.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:38 am
Just Joined

shirlee is an unknown quantity at this point

My dog failed his test and was put on tablets and I was told not to give him any protein in his diet (very strange) but it did work and he passed the 2nd test and flew out on time.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirlee
My dog failed his test and was put on tablets and I was told not to give him any protein in his diet (very strange) but it did work and he passed the 2nd test and flew out on time.
This post is over 6months old now. so probably irrelevant.

Jo