Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dog export blood test results

dog export blood test results

Old Mar 31st 2005, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

callerica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dog export blood test results

Ive just had the results of my dogs blood tests back for the export cert and because she had the lepto vacc in december (because i wasnt anticipating us moving for at least 6 months), her lepto result has come back 1/1600. The highest they allow is 1/400, and that is only if it goes down after a re-test. Does anyone know how long it is likely to take for it to go down, or if there is anything I can do about it, as I am really upset that I may have to leave her here for a few months when we go in 3 weeks time?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:19 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog export blood test results

Originally Posted by callerica
Ive just had the results of my dogs blood tests back for the export cert and because she had the lepto vacc in december (because i wasnt anticipating us moving for at least 6 months), her lepto result has come back 1/1600. The highest they allow is 1/400, and that is only if it goes down after a re-test. Does anyone know how long it is likely to take for it to go down, or if there is anything I can do about it, as I am really upset that I may have to leave her here for a few months when we go in 3 weeks time?
Naive question but 1/1600 sounds less than 1/400 to me?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by worzel
Naive question but 1/1600 sounds less than 1/400 to me?
hi
yes you would think that. I'm just going by what the vet is telling me, its all a bit confusing! I think i will go and get the results from the vets to look at myself.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:05 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

hi
yes you would think that. I'm just going by what the vet is telling me, its all a bit confusing! I think i will go and get the results from the vets to look at myself.
If they are looking for an imune response to a vaccine, 1/1600 is "lower" than 1/400 as they are talking about dilution of the dogs serum. They are probably looking for numbers higher than 1/400 as being an indicator of suitable levels of antibodies to fight a possible infection. Using this as a measure of vaccination strength is totally outmoded but unfortunately what they do.
They dilute the blood serially so maybe as an example:
1/50, 1/100, 1/200, 1/400, 1/800, 1/1600, 1/3200 etc
So your 1/1600 is only "2" lab steps away from the required 1/400 or higher. The chances are, a repeat will have a different result especially if it is done in a different lab. even with the same sample! Maybe ensure your dog is not run down or stressed but totally fit and fed with correct foods etc. to boost his immune system before getting another test done. That may help.

Sorry for boring everyone!

Andrew
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much, that helps alot as the vet didnt really explain it very well. Just for information for anyone else in this situation, I rang AQIS in Australia and they said the same thing, but to get the dog re-tested in a months time and hopefully it will have dropped by then. Luckily I have a nice Mum who will look after my dog til it has!

Thanks again for your help

Caroline

Originally Posted by andrew63
If they are looking for an imune response to a vaccine, 1/1600 is "lower" than 1/400 as they are talking about dilution of the dogs serum. They are probably looking for numbers higher than 1/400 as being an indicator of suitable levels of antibodies to fight a possible infection. Using this as a measure of vaccination strength is totally outmoded but unfortunately what they do.
They dilute the blood serially so maybe as an example:
1/50, 1/100, 1/200, 1/400, 1/800, 1/1600, 1/3200 etc
So your 1/1600 is only "2" lab steps away from the required 1/400 or higher. The chances are, a repeat will have a different result especially if it is done in a different lab. even with the same sample! Maybe ensure your dog is not run down or stressed but totally fit and fed with correct foods etc. to boost his immune system before getting another test done. That may help.

Sorry for boring everyone!

Andrew
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:48 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Vets usually say no to the lepto vaccine 6 months prior to having the blood tests done, so you may have to wait up to 3 months and then depending on the dog could be slightly more. I don't know what to suggest, I asked my vet not to use the lepto and to use saline to plump out the vaccine instead just incase we went earlier than expected, he results came back fine.
Our shipper said to make sure our doggy did not get it as it causes all sorts of problems.

Sorry I am not more help Jenny
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jensteve
Vets usually say no to the lepto vaccine 6 months prior to having the blood tests done, so you may have to wait up to 3 months and then depending on the dog could be slightly more. I don't know what to suggest, I asked my vet not to use the lepto and to use saline to plump out the vaccine instead just incase we went earlier than expected, he results came back fine.
Our shipper said to make sure our doggy did not get it as it causes all sorts of problems.

Sorry I am not more help Jenny
i, and my vet, have been worrying about this too. mollie is due her vaccine in august, just when we hope to go. we don't know whether to give her the jab when she arrives in oz or give it to her early now in the hope that she will be clear by end july. tho, from this thread that doesn't sound like a good idea. does she have to have the annual jab exactly in a year to be able to go?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:59 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ahoy
i, and my vet, have been worrying about this too. mollie is due her vaccine in august, just when we hope to go. we don't know whether to give her the jab when she arrives in oz or give it to her early now in the hope that she will be clear by end july. tho, from this thread that doesn't sound like a good idea. does she have to have the annual jab exactly in a year to be able to go?
Ask your vet to do the vaccinations but instead of using the lepto to bulk up the jab to use sterile water or something, they can do it, mine looked at me strange but when I explained why I needed it not doing they where fine about it. Also I think if your vaccinations are due to need boosting while either a month prior to leaving or in quarantine they have to be done early, check that one but sure there is something said about it.

Jenny
Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=jensteve]Ask your vet to do the vaccinations but instead of using the lepto to bulk up the jab to use sterile water or something, they can do it, mine looked at me strange but when I explained why I needed it not doing they where fine about it. Also I think if your vaccinations are due to need boosting while either a month prior to leaving or in quarantine they have to be done early, check that one but sure there is something said about it.

Jenny[/QUOTE

thanks jenny. so you're saying have the annual jab a bit early but it is ok to leave out the lepto. that rings a bell actually. think i read somewhere that the lepto is almost unneccessary in this country?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:17 am
Moved out bush!

Jenny[/QUOTE

thanks jenny. so you're saying have the annual jab a bit early but it is ok to leave out the lepto. that rings a bell actually. think i read somewhere that the lepto is almost unneccessary in this country?[/QUOTE]

Lepto is mainly used in the uk to bulk out the other vaccines, its something thats really not required in most places, so get them done early and just miss that one out. I think the vet said to me it was for dogs who may get infected in water, rats I think peeing in water can transfer it. Not to sure on my doggy vaccinations but sure the official stuff from aqis says something about them.
Jenny
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:46 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ahoy
You just ask the vet to do all the required jabs except the lepto one. Its not a vaccine thats required to move your pets to OZ.

Your shipper should have advised you of this way before it comes to having the injections. We used an excellent shipper who gave us all the instructions on what vaccines to have and not to have.