Wikiposts

Dog clipping!

Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dog clipping!

cant get my photo to download - it is too big a file - will try and sort - oops.
how do I make the file smaller in order to upload it?? Anyone??

Picture is of my dog floating around in the pool!!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 3:16 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
To the best of my knowledge, our dog has never had a tick. I often wonder if I would know one if I saw one. Are they easily identifiable, and what part of the dog do they usually attack?

And how do you deal with them if you get one? Someone once told me surgical spirit gets them off/out...?

Sue
If you are in Oz now, please start to check your dog. By the time he gets symptoms (wobbly gait, vomiting, acting generally oddly) it could well be too late.
If you do fine one, use a tick hook (purchase from vet) or failing that tweezersand try to get the head out.

Believe me when I say you do not wnat to take any chances on this because it kills so many dogs in Oz throughout the year. I think they say WA doesn't haev those particular paralysis ticks and that I'm not sure of but they have them all the way down the eastern seaboard to Tassie now. Not nice!

I have personally seen 3 dogs of friends go down with the paralysis. yes they were saved but only becaseu these particular owners were on the ball regarding symptoms. One lived in bush, the other two in suburbs north of Sydney. The treatment is awful too. Please check your dog. :-D
Old Dec 1st 2005, 3:52 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mumomonty
If you are in Oz now, please start to check your dog. By the time he gets symptoms (wobbly gait, vomiting, acting generally oddly) it could well be too late.
If you do fine one, use a tick hook (purchase from vet) or failing that tweezersand try to get the head out.

Believe me when I say you do not wnat to take any chances on this because it kills so many dogs in Oz throughout the year. I think they say WA doesn't haev those particular paralysis ticks and that I'm not sure of but they have them all the way down the eastern seaboard to Tassie now. Not nice!

I have personally seen 3 dogs of friends go down with the paralysis. yes they were saved but only becaseu these particular owners were on the ball regarding symptoms. One lived in bush, the other two in suburbs north of Sydney. The treatment is awful too. Please check your dog. :-D
Is there any part of the dog in particular the tics go for? Such as the neck, chest, hind quarters...? I think it may help that he doesn't go walking in long grass - I've heard that this is where many of them get problems from...

Any advice you can give is welcome.

Sue
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:25 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Is there any part of the dog in particular the tics go for? Such as the neck, chest, hind quarters...? I think it may help that he doesn't go walking in long grass - I've heard that this is where many of them get problems from...

Any advice you can give is welcome.

Sue
Not really but I suppose mainly face, ears but you have to check all over. My dog had 6 on his face from sniffing about once.
My mate's heeler had one hidden in his ear and nearly died. Another friend's terrier had one betwen her paws! You just have to check. Both these dogs were in beachside suburbs.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:32 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

You should definitely keep an eye on the dogs for ticks and be aware of the syptoms of paralysis ticks. Our dog Ebony (German Shepherd) got a tick when she was just a puppy. We were away for Christmas and she nearly died - thankfully we had left here in the care of some friends who are GS breeders and they recognised the symptoms. That one had got her somehwere where she could not easily scratch or anything. Now she always wears a tick collar and we are well aware of the symptoms. I do not check her daily, but I would notice as soon as she was at all off colour. Also, we no longer live next to parkland with Koalas - apparently they carry and spread ticks.

When we moved to our current house, we left our cat at the old place for a couple of weeks while we were busy moving stuff between the two places and when we eventually brought her here she has a bloody great tick that had attached itself to her mouth. It had gorged itself and was pretty big. I searched the Internet for recommended removal methods and ended up making a lassoo out of cotton. Tied a slip knot, tightened it round the tick's body as close to the head as I could get and then slowly teased it out - you have to use steady pressure, not jerk. As you pull, the tick moves its nasty little hook like claw things (that's a technical term) and eventually out it pops.

As for clipping her coat - no, she just moults a lot when the weather warms up.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:54 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Donna - Your dog is obviously chuffed to bits he's got rid of all that excess fur.......the expression on his face in the after pic is fab!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:54 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep
Donna - Your dog is obviously chuffed to bits he's got rid of all that excess fur.......the expression on his face in the after pic is fab!

Lol ! he does look happy doesn't he! his tongue always hangs like that,looks a bit like my hubby on a friday headin for the beer fridge !!!!!!!!!

Donna.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Awww Harley looks adoreable even more so with his new hairdo!!
We have a long haired jack Russle who i clip all the time and everytime after he has been cut he runs around the garden like complete maniac with more energy than u would believe!! That can only express how happy he must be in the heat with a shorter coat!
I gotta clip him this weekend as he looking abit like a patchwork quilt at the moment after haveing an operation to have a lump removed from his chest 2 weeks ago. Thankfully he is well on the mend now

Claire
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:26 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Lol ! he does look happy doesn't he! his tongue always hangs like that,looks a bit like my hubby on a friday headin for the beer fridge !!!!!!!!!

Donna.

LOL!!!