dog back to uk

Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

brushmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile dog back to uk

Hi does anybody know of any good and trusted pet carriers to bring my dog back to the uk from sydney,and how much on average did it cost
thanks all
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog back to uk

We are using a small one women company up here which obviously unfortunately wont help down there but cost wise it is $3200 all up including collecting the dog from the house, the vet visit the day before flying, taking to the airport, 2 or 3 days board at both ends, all clearance costs in UK. At least that gives you an idea of costs. Some other bigger companies quoted well in excess of $4000 for less.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We are using a small one women company up here which obviously unfortunately wont help down there but cost wise it is $3200 all up including collecting the dog from the house, the vet visit the day before flying, taking to the airport, 2 or 3 days board at both ends, all clearance costs in UK. At least that gives you an idea of costs. Some other bigger companies quoted well in excess of $4000 for less.
What are the quarentine times/ rules/ costs chris? Are those on top of the carrier costs like when they arrive?

And when getting back to the uk are ther "official" single quarantine stations for the whole state like here? Or more of them??

Not that we're going back, but I am interested in the answers...
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:27 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
What are the quarentine times/ rules/ costs chris? Are those on top of the carrier costs like when they arrive?

And when getting back to the uk are ther "official" single quarantine stations for the whole state like here? Or more of them??

Not that we're going back, but I am interested in the answers...
I do believe you are free to choose your own regulated licensed quarantine station, the vet I worked at had their own MAFF approved one. Standards do vary hugely though as some had bad publicity about care.

Personally I preferred the regulated set up for Aussie quarantine and found as a vet nurse, we would hear more about not so good quarantine kennels.

I think but would need to check, if anyone is bringing their cat/dog back to the UK and has had the PETS passport/jabs stuff done, then they dont have to do quarantine but that was a while ago so god knows if it has changed.

Ruislip Pet Group were superb in organising our Gordon and I saw their quarantine kennels as well - very nice they were too.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:27 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no quarantine anymore, they have a rabies injection this end and a complete vet check then they are released in the UK. They realise that as long as the dog has had all its injection throughout its life there is nothing it can bring into the country.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:29 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no quarantine anymore, they have a rabies injection this end and a complete vet check then they are released in the UK. They realise that as long as the dog has had all its injection throughout its life there is nothing it can bring into the country.
Yep, it was like that when we left, just not sure if it had changed. And very nice it must be to get off the plane and bring your pet straight home, quarantine for me was a huge guilt trip - the cat was fine, it was me that felt guilty.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:37 am
Banned

Nowadays weeks or even months of quarantine is just completely unnecessary. As long as the animals have an official record of its injections etc there really is nothing to justify lengthy quarantine.

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Yep, it was like that when we left, just not sure if it had changed. And very nice it must be to get off the plane and bring your pet straight home, quarantine for me was a huge guilt trip - the cat was fine, it was me that felt guilty.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:49 am

Nowadays weeks or even months of quarantine is just completely unnecessary. As long as the animals have an official record of its injections etc there really is nothing to justify lengthy quarantine.
I think if they are coming from a rabies country then I dont have a problem with quarantine but otherwise as you say, there is no need.

The vet I worked at, their quarantine station had one or two dogs come from the same country develop rabies whilst in quarantine, it was on the news and it is times like that the system works. They had the jabs apparantly, but must have been carriers at the time.

Ill see if I can find the link, Chingford kennels if my memory serves me?

Here is the link:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/new..._kennel_staff/
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:57 am
Banned

Yes exactly, if they come from a rabies free country then it should be a formality. It is odd that when they come from and go to a rabies free country they require the injection. Its no big deal having our dog injected but it is an odd requirement.

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
I think if they are coming from a rabies country then I dont have a problem with quarantine but otherwise as you say, there is no need.

The vet I worked at, their quarantine station had one or two dogs come from the same country develop rabies whilst in quarantine, it was on the news and it is times like that the system works. They had the jabs apparantly, but must have been carriers at the time.

Ill see if I can find the link, Chingford kennels if my memory serves me?

Here is the link:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/new..._kennel_staff/
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

brushmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: dog back to uk

Does anybody know how many rabies jabs dogs need before they leave australia for the uk and when do they need the rabies jab?we have been here 5 months and our dog hasnt had a rabies jab yet.
Looks like we may go back to uk in 12 month so does anybody know any good pet travel companys in sydney
thanks all
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

we had to get dogs rabies injection 6mths prior to leaving,i would imagine this is still the case.
dog flew to london and i collected him on arrival,give or take a few hours.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:57 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Have PM'd you, brought our girl back last year.
Firstly the dog needs to be up to date with all normal vaccinations, then:
Rabies jab.... wait 4 weeks, get a blood test (this is done by an approved vet, not all vets do the rabies jab)
Look after results for 6 months, within 24 hours of travel take back to vet and get treated for fleas/ticks and have certificate from vet confirming that he applied the treatment.
take to airport pop in approved crate and drop off at carriers (well in ADL you do but it is v. small!)

Pick dog up f from animal reception at heathrow once your dog has landed and been processed

Much easier than taking a dog out to Australia!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:58 am
Banned

They only need one injection and depending on what brand you get it lasts 3 years. If you know roughly you will be leaving in 12 months you can get it done any time now.

Originally Posted by brushmate
Does anybody know how many rabies jabs dogs need before they leave australia for the uk and when do they need the rabies jab?we have been here 5 months and our dog hasnt had a rabies jab yet.
Looks like we may go back to uk in 12 month so does anybody know any good pet travel companys in sydney
thanks all
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:01 am
Banned

Just one correction to the info Alipally gave, the dog no longer needs a blood test to show it has the correct level of rabies antibodies. That saves you about $300 plus.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:07 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Our dog flew from Melbourne and we used jetpets (they have Sydney office too) who were great. They kept us informed all the way, even when all the animals on the flight were offloaded and had to fly the next day. They kept them all separate from the other animals and had them vet checked again pre flight. They kept us up to date, even phoning me in the UK on my mobile several times to give me updates. They didn't add any extra kennel, vet or other fees onto what we'd already paid.

There seem to be two types of rabies jabs. One lasts a year and one three years. I only know this because our dog had his in Sydney then ended up going to Melbourne for an extra year. We were a bit concerned that we'd need to get another until the vet explained that he'd had the three year one. He arrived in the UK last August and I know there have been changes since then. Maybe they're all given the three year one now - probably worth checking with your vet. I know we had to use an approved AQIS vet too.
Once he arrived in the UK we had to have him vaccinated for leptospirosis too, which isn't a problem in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.