Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Wikiposts

Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
The ranger said to me last week that anyone who risks the fines to let their dog have a good run is an irresponsible owner. The rules are there for a reason.

What one dog owner perceives to be acceptable behaviour with their dog - jumping up/nipping could prove to be quite sacry to someone else.
Hi thats it. I am very wary of dogs as I have been bitten and they just un-nerve me. Once I get to know someones dog I am fine with them so it is more fear not just a total dislike for them.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember when I was out with my family having a walk over the local park.. my 2 year old (well.. she was then.. she's now 10) was running free and had run away a fair bit and suddenly 6 dogs were circling her... the owners didnt call them off and I ran madly over to her.. she fell straight over (she was only 2 and a bit unsteady on her feet and the dogs were fairly big) and I eventually got to her... the owners just looked at me and said "they didnt touch her" and stalked off whistling to their dogs...

I was furious and said "perhaps I should put my child on a lead whilst you let your animals run wild then?"

I was so angry I wrote into our local newspaper and the letter was published.. don't suppose it did any good..

Fortunately she isnt scared of dogs thru it all.. (don't suppose she remembers) infact, quite the opposite, she is a true animal lover..

Em x
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:23 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
I remember when I was out with my family having a walk over the local park.. my 2 year old (well.. she was then.. she's now 10) was running free and had run away a fair bit and suddenly 6 dogs were circling her... the owners didnt call them off and I ran madly over to her.. she fell straight over (she was only 2 and a bit unsteady on her feet and the dogs were fairly big) and I eventually got to her... the owners just looked at me and said "they didnt touch her" and stalked off whistling to their dogs...

I was furious and said "perhaps I should put my child on a lead whilst you let your animals run wild then?"

I was so angry I wrote into our local newspaper and the letter was published.. don't suppose it did any good..

Fortunately she isnt scared of dogs thru it all.. (don't suppose she remembers) infact, quite the opposite, she is a true animal lover..

Em x

Thats just it, every dog owner sees what their dog does as acceptable, some think jumping up is their way of saying 'hello', that owner who your child had the experience with might have thought 'Oh well they never touched her' and perhaps thought that they were 'responsible' owners, and some owners couldnt give a toss and had they roughed your child up, would have grabbed their dogs and ran in order to avoid a destruction order.

I would never risk the fine so Rocky could go off the lead, that is so wrong - the rules are in place for a reason.

My friend said to me that where she lives a labrador dog regularly charges up, slobbers over her and jumps over her nearly knocking her over, the owner thinks it is funny, my friend said it isnt, she doesnt like it, she is not into dogs that much and why the hell doesnt he keep it on a lead?

And I am inclined to agree with her.

Your little girl was lucky nothing happened, all those dogs circling her - my god I bet you were terrified.

And it is a typical seflish owner response 'they never touched her'. I would have been thinking 'what if' not 'they never touched her'.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats just it, every dog owner sees what their dog does as acceptable, some think jumping up is their way of saying 'hello', that owner who your child had the experience with might have thought 'Oh well they never touched her' and perhaps thought that they were 'responsible' owners, and some owners couldnt give a toss and had they roughed your child up, would have grabbed their dogs and ran in order to avoid a destruction order.

I would never risk the fine so Rocky could go off the lead, that is so wrong - the rules are in place for a reason.

My friend said to me that where she lives a labrador dog regularly charges up, slobbers over her and jumps over her nearly knocking her over, the owner thinks it is funny, my friend said it isnt, she doesnt like it, she is not into dogs that much and why the hell doesnt he keep it on a lead?

And I am inclined to agree with her.

Your little girl was lucky nothing happened, all those dogs circling her - my god I bet you were terrified.

And it is a typical seflish owner response 'they never touched her'. I would have been thinking 'what if' not 'they never touched her'.
I am very glad that they were friendly dogs.. which they were actually.. now wondering if the whole experience made her the little girl she is... totally and utterly mad about dogs.. (we, alas, have only ever owned cats)..

I was more suprised and disturbed by their response.. it was like I shouldnt have had my child in the park.. they were so very defensive.. I count my lucky stars that the dogs were friendly.. if they werent and anything had happened to my (rather cute) 2 year old (in her wellies and duffle coat!) I would have been mortified that she wasnt in arms reach (she was/is a very active child and loves to run wild!).. they should be counting their lucky stars too.. if she was harmed I think I would have harmed the owners within an inch of their rather arrogant lives, believe me!

Em x
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:42 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats just it, every dog owner sees what their dog does as acceptable,
Not every dog owner.
I know some who would never allow that to have happened.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

My dog that would jump at people is always on a lead and when my daughters friends are around we put her in another room.I have just found out that my 12 year old daughters friend who has two small dogs that I have seen often snap at them and now have at my daughter.They seem to think it is funny!Let alone keep them away from any guests.I have told her not to stroke them and most of all don't put her face anywhere near them.

It is odd how some people seem to accept things from small dogs that they would not from larger dogs.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot belive I'm posting this, and how coincidental this thread is to my situation.

Got home late this morning, the wife phoned me up with one hell of a tale.

Circa 7.45 am this morning there was a commotion out the front of our place here in Coburg. Wife looks out of the door, theres our big rottweiler/border collie Cross running around witht he front gate open. He is normally locked up around the back... but wait theres more... Not only that there is a Moreland city dog rangers van outside out the front of our place....but wait theres more.... Across the semi main road that we live on theres one of those fully lycra clad cyclist sitting on the side of the road, along with a car and a lady talking to him. The ranger tells us get our dog inside and if he sees him out again, we wont get away with just a warning.

Wife takes the dog back around the side of the house bemused as to how he has got out. Goes back to her busy morning routine... then a knock on the door. The reason the Cyclist was on the side of the road was our dog had not only mysteriously gotten out of a latched side gate, but also out of a latched front gate. Bitten him, (honestly I know its a cliche but our dog has never bitten anyone before). He has phoned up the council, they've responded within 10 mins. Now we are up for a dog at large fine, plus medical expenses.

All before 8am in very mysterious circumstances, we think we may have had a Burglary attempt last night, which is why our gates become open. Not that that is going to help us.

But do the Council respond to dog attacks.... Apparently they do, and at a quicker response time than the bill by the looks of things... at least here in Moreland.

I'll get an idea of the financial outlay tomorrow... was I relived when I found out that our liability insurance probably covers dog bites... best phone the insurance company tomorrow.

Ill let you know how much this all costs

I cannot believe it. Seems very odd actually. Not only did our dog get out, but he totally changed character apparently

I guess it all could have been a lot worse, especially at a busy time of day for traffic. Hopefully the Cyclist is ok.

(there goes me bleeding Webber... *sigh*)

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 21st 2008 at 11:14 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Cannot belive I'm posting this, and how coincidental this thread is to my situation.

Got home late this morning, the wife phoned me up with one hell of a tale.

Circa 7.45 am this morning there was a commotion out the front of our place here in Coburg. Wife looks out of the door, theres our big rottweiler/border collie Cross running around witht he front gate open. He is normally locked up around the back... but wait theres more... Not only that there is a Moreland city dog rangers van outside out the front of our place....but wait theres more.... Across the semi main road that we live on theres one of those fully lycra clad cyclist sitting on the side of the road, along with a car and a lady talking to him. The ranger tells us get our dog inside and if he sees him out again, we wont get away with just a warning.

Wife takes the dog back around the side of the house bemused as to how he has got out. Goes back to her busy morning routine... then a knock on the door. The reason the Cyclist was on the side of the road was our dog had not only mysteriously gotten out of a latched side gate, but also out of a latched front gate. Bitten him, (honestly I know its a cliche but our dog has never bitten anyone before). He has phoned up the council, they've responded within 10 mins. Now we are up for a dog at large fine, plus medical expenses.

All before 8am in very mysterious circumstances, we think we may have had a Burglary attempt last night, which is why our gates become open. Not that that is going to help us.

But do the Council respond to dog attacks.... Apparently they do, and at a quicker response time than the bill by the looks of things... at least here in Moreland.

I'll get an idea of the financial outlay tomorrow... was I relived when I found out that our liability insurance probably covers dog bites... best phone the insurance company tomorrow.

Ill let you know how much this all costs

I cannot believe it. Seems very odd actually. Not only did our dog get out, but he totally changed character apparently

I guess it all could have been a lot worse, especially at a busy time of day for traffic. Hopefully the Cyclist is ok.

(there goes me bleeding Webber... *sigh*)
Ack... sorry to hear that Oz.
How badly did your dog bite the cyclist?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Ack... sorry to hear that Oz.
How badly did your dog bite the cyclist?
Not badly afaik, my wife tends to think he just got knocked of his bike. However we dont know what is going to happen with this.

I just got off the phone to the insurance company, they are sending me a claim form, they were non commital re coverage, so I've an anxious wait in front of me. I suspect I'm going to get a claim for a new expensive type of bicycle.

Oh well such is life, at least no one has been badly hurt.

We dont know whether the fellow rode off on his bike or not... possibly not... he may have been picked up by his partner.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:18 am

Not badly afaik, my wife tends to think he just got knocked of his bike. However we dont know what is going to happen with this.

I just got off the phone to the insurance company, they are sending me a claim form, they were non commital re coverage, so I've an anxious wait in front of me. I suspect I'm going to get a claim for a new expensive type of bicycle.

Oh well such is life, at least no one has been badly hurt.

We dont know whether the fellow rode off on his bike or not... possibly not... he may have been picked up by his partner.
Well I hope you get copies of all the medical reports. Perhaps your dog rushed him and he fell off.... ? Two sides and all that.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Not every dog owner.
I know some who would never allow that to have happened.
I didnt mean what the doberman did, but the general behaviour of each individual dog.

Some owners think that their dog running up to yours is perfectly fine, when your dog is on the lead and might not be that sociable.

Some owners think that their dog jumping up at you is OK as 'he is being friendly'

I walked Rocky last night and a terrier came running out of the house towards us, barking his head off - not aggressive though, he nearly got hit by a car and his owners just ignored it - they obviously find that acceptable.

Someone said to me last night 'You are one of the few owners that keep your dog on a lead in the park, everyone else ignores the rules'
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

What a shock for you all and the poor cyclist.My husband is a postie and has had a number of dogs rush out when they hear his bike.Most just want to chase him though he has nearly been knocked off his bike.Out of the house my lab cross has never barked at anyone or any dog but inside the house or in the garden she is so different.I just think it is a territorial thing.After hearing your story it has made me think about geting another bolt on our gate.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petensue
What a shock for you all and the poor cyclist.My husband is a postie and has had a number of dogs rush out when they hear his bike.Most just want to chase him though he has nearly been knocked off his bike.Out of the house my lab cross has never barked at anyone or any dog but inside the house or in the garden she is so different.I just think it is a territorial thing.After hearing your story it has made me think about geting another bolt on our gate.
Yes, I'm a postal worker of 13 years as well, before that the Gas and Fuel as a Meter reader for 16 years, so I can empathise fully. I've had plenty of encounters with dogs in my time. I guess the difference is when you are carrying out your work duties you are covered by Workcare.

Anyway the good news is, that we are fully covered by our personal liability insurance. I'd say this means most people that own or are buying property are covered for this kind of event.

Cost the wife and I, quite a bit of lost sleep this situation, but now we can relax and go back to planning our Xmas properly.

Last night at Aus post tonight, we are being overwhelmed with interstate... WA and QLD Express parcels really late... circa past 8am. Which is causing all sorts of headaches. 99.999 pct of everything will be delivered though. Most failures on the last day will be due to wrong post codes.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 22nd 2008 at 2:21 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:18 pm

Yes, I'm a postal worker of 13 years as well, before that the Gas and Fuel as a Meter reader for 16 years, so I can empathise fully. I've had plenty of encounters with dogs in my time. I guess the difference is when you are carrying out your work duties you are covered by Workcare.

Anyway the good news is, that we are fully covered by our personal liability insurance. I'd say this means most people that own or are buying property are covered for this kind of event.

Cost the wife and I, quite a bit of lost sleep this situation, but now we can relax and go back to planning our Xmas properly.

Last night at Aus post tonight, we are being overwhelmed with interstate... WA and QLD Express parcels really late... circa past 8am. Which is causing all sorts of headaches. 99.999 pct of everything will be delivered though. Most failures on the last day will be due to wrong post codes.
THat's good news, Oz. You can get your BBQ after all then!

Hope the rider is ok too.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

THat's good news, Oz. You can get your BBQ after all then!

Hope the rider is ok too.

YEHP

I hope he is as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.