Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Hi all,

some evil pit bull type dog attacked our dog this early this evening (a bichon frise). The owner had left the gate open and it came flying out and went straight for our dogs neck.
It took hubbie and the owner a couple of minutes to get it off, nothing they did would stop it.
Our dog now has a very nasty puncture wound on her neck and a cut ear. there is a fair amount of blood around.
The owner offered to pay for any vets bills, but I am far more concerned with making sure it doesn't happen again! He tried to say it had never done it before, but it goes ape every time a dog walks past, it can't have been hard to work out it would happen! This dog lives right on the beach in Glenelg here in Adelaide, so dogs, people and children walk past it all day. There were people on the grass in front of the flat having a picnic.

I found a web page saying you should report dog attacks to the council, but will they actually do anything? Will it be the same as the UK where unless it is a person they don't care?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:48 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Hi all,

some evil pit bull type dog attacked our dog this early this evening (a bichon frise). The owner had left the gate open and it came flying out and went straight for our dogs neck.
It took hubbie and the owner a couple of minutes to get it off, nothing they did would stop it.
Our dog now has a very nasty puncture wound on her neck and a cut ear. there is a fair amount of blood around.
The owner offered to pay for any vets bills, but I am far more concerned with making sure it doesn't happen again! He tried to say it had never done it before, but it goes ape every time a dog walks past, it can't have been hard to work out it would happen! This dog lives right on the beach in Glenelg here in Adelaide, so dogs, people and children walk past it all day. There were people on the grass in front of the flat having a picnic.

I found a web page saying you should report dog attacks to the council, but will they actually do anything? Will it be the same as the UK where unless it is a person they don't care?

I live very close to Glenelg and go for a walk most nights along the front with the family. Does it live in one of the flats just along from the Stamford?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It lives in the second floor flat next to the really expensive place which is up for sale.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:54 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

It lives in the second floor flat next to the really expensive place which is up for sale.
I know where you mean. Definitely think you should report it. Dread to think what it might do to a small child. It must have been horrifying for you. I'm glad we chose to go to Somerton Park this evening. That would really have upset my 3 girls. Hope your dog's o.k.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:57 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd report it. they seem to follow up quickly on this sort of thing. after a report, they will canvas the neighbourhood to see if any other people are aware of an issue. at least they did here after a dog barking excessively and a neighbour complained, not on the noise front but because the dog seemed aggressive
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:02 am
ABCDiamond

Some councils may not do anything, but I think that most do.

This is a quote from a NSW Government site. (Yours may be similar)
The Department of Local Government has previously requested (Circular 96/04 refers) that all dog attacks reported to council are also reported to the Department.
While many councils are providing the required information to the Department, it has become apparent that some councils have not complied with this requirement.
If the council doesn't take action, take it further.

Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks very much everyone. I will report it, and then if anything does happen again at least I will know I tried to stop it.
I think we will definatly be avoiding that beach for a while.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I can't add any more to the advice but I just wanted to say I hope your poor dog is ok and not scared of other dogs now.I must admit it really worries me at how I would be able to get a dog like that off my children or dogs.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:35 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Having been attacked by a doberman in the regional park where I live - both myself and my dog were at the receiving end, I would strongly urge you to report it.

Owners always say that their dog hasnt done this before but I now do not believe them.

I had to attempt to strangle this doberman who was snapping at my face while I was on the floor, I gripped with all my strength and could smell his breath on my face, he choked a bit and then his owner came and got him off. He said 'you did exactly the right thing' and then told me the reason he didnt come and help was because he had to put his female dog in the car or she would have joined in.

I didnt report it and I regret it because I heard his dogs attacked a tiny blue heeler puppy.

The dog went for me and my dog in turn and had I been a child I would not have got away.

Report it, they will take it seriously and he can be find alot of money.

I dont get it, if someone knows that their dog isnt good with people/other dogs then bloody leash and muzzle it.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks very much everyone. Hubbie says people were shouting at this bloke from other flats saying it should have been on a lead, and was our dog ok, so if they ask the neighbours I'm sure they will hear what this dog is like.

Our dog is feeling very sorry for herself now.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:50 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Report it.

However do not get your hopes up about anything actually being done.

There have been a whole lot of vicious dogs living behind my parents' house in Canberra for about twenty years, and endless reporting to the authorities has done nothing. Even when a petition went around and was signed by people from about a dozen different houses. And these dogs jump fences and get into people's houses and attack them!!

Same thing happened when a neighbour decided to purchase a whole lot of fence-jumping chickens and a rooster that woke everybody up before dawn every morning.

Australians are stupid when it comes to controlling pets, but that doesn't mean people should just give up.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Hi all,

I think you should report it, what if that had been a child or a baby the dog attacked, those dogs are bred to be visious, One of my mums old neighbours used to have a rotweiler and it was never agressive, until one day when me and my brother walked out of the house to go to school one morning and the dog went for us, luckily enough my dad came out the door behind us and chased the dog away

Gill
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

If you report it and nothing happens, take a hammer to its head the next time. Hit the very top of its head and it will drop, never to get up again and if you feel bad, think how a child would have ended up with those teeth ripping the flesh. I'm a dog lover (honestly) and its the owners who are at fault. If the dog is vicious, then it should be muzzled, end off.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much everyone. Hubbie says people were shouting at this bloke from other flats saying it should have been on a lead, and was our dog ok, so if they ask the neighbours I'm sure they will hear what this dog is like.

Our dog is feeling very sorry for herself now.
Your dog had a lucky escape by the sounds of it. As a dog owner and dog lover I would definitely report the dog...next time it could be a child the dog attacks.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

You should definitely report it pit bulls are on the dangerous dogs register. Dangerous dogs here in Victoria have to be muzzled when taken for a walk.

Here in Victoria they are very very hot on dogs at large.

Guess you also have vet bills to think of as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.