Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Wikiposts

Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:35 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We were watching the parrots, it all happened so quickly, I do remember Rocky wetting himself though.

Talking of Rocky, he has chewed his council rego tag, so I spent $16 having a metal one engraved, which he promptly removed and buried in the garden.

I now have to phone the ranger again, to request another tag which will be secured and taped to his collar so he cant reach it.
Common for a male to wet themselves in front of a more dominant male.

Happens with dogs too.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It amazes me that some people (usually not dog owners) think breeds like Dobermans and Rotties are automatically bad, but fluffly, cuddly breeds wouldn't harm a fly.

Haven't lived with dogs myself since I left home many years ago but we always had quite a selection (brought up on a farm but they were definitely mollycoddled pets). My sister used to show dogs and at one stage had a Rottweiler, Airdale, Doberman and a Standard Poodle Their tempers went in that order - the Rottie was soft as, but the poncy looking Poodle could snap at any time. She ended up having to rehome him to a place with no other dogs.

It scares me to see parents let their children pet and harass strange dogs; kids don't know that just because the worst one will do is lick them to death, not all dogs will be the same. I don't even let one of my cats too close to little ones as I know she's shy and strikes out.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Common for a male to wet themselves in front of a more dominant male.

Happens with dogs too.

Originally Posted by Seasider
It amazes me that some people (usually not dog owners) think breeds like Dobermans and Rotties are automatically bad, but fluffly, cuddly breeds wouldn't harm a fly.

Haven't lived with dogs myself since I left home many years ago but we always had quite a selection (brought up on a farm but they were definitely mollycoddled pets). My sister used to show dogs and at one stage had a Rottweiler, Airdale, Doberman and a Standard Poodle Their tempers went in that order - the Rottie was soft as, but the poncy looking Poodle could snap at any time. She ended up having to rehome him to a place with no other dogs.

It scares me to see parents let their children pet and harass strange dogs; kids don't know that just because the worst one will do is lick them to death, not all dogs will be the same. I don't even let one of my cats too close to little ones as I know she's shy and strikes out.
You are spot on, I cannot stand it when parents think that their dog is good purely because it allows the kids to poke its eye socket, pull its tail and clamber all over the poor animal - IMO, a good parent is one that does not allow their child to do that.

Cat bites are nasty, Ive ended up at the hospital a few times from cat bites when I worked at the vet.

My SIL let her kid pick up my cat Gordon up by his skin and Gordon hissed at her kid, as soon as I saw what happened I took the cat and put him in the bedroom.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:02 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Right, I have reported it to the ranger, she said as I dont have his details they obviously cant do anything now but there are a few dobermans registered to the area and the complaint has officially been lodged for the record.

And for the record, she told me at this particular lake you cannot let your dog off the lead and risking the fines so your dog can have a good run is irresponsible.

She even said to me that unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that your dog will behave off the lead, she recommends caution even in the designated dog areas.

Now I wonder how many owners risk the fines in these regional parks and still call themselves good owners?

Last edited by Cheetah7; Dec 17th 2008 at 12:04 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

We were watching the parrots, it all happened so quickly, I do remember Rocky wetting himself though.

Talking of Rocky, he has chewed his council rego tag, so I spent $16 having a metal one engraved, which he promptly removed and buried in the garden.

I now have to phone the ranger again, to request another tag which will be secured and taped to his collar so he cant reach it.
My puppy chewed Roxy's rego tag and it is holding on there by a tiny piece of plastic!Do you have to pay for a replacement do you know?

How on earth did Rocky get his metal one off let alone bury it!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider

I agree with your post.I said I would never have another rottie as we got so much abuse just for daring to take our well behaved rottie out for a walk(Ralph was on a lead at all times).

I do hate it when people let their dog run up to your dog as I get scared myself when a large dog of any breed comes up as I think how on earth can I do anything if it attacks my dog?

My children love dogs but I have always told them not to stroke a strange dog.We had children throwing themselves round our rotties neck with their parents there but lucky from them Ralph was gentle!I had to tell them their child should not do that!

I have a blue heeler rottie cross now and she will be smaller than a rottie and only has a rottie head so hopefully I will not get abuse.Most people look at Daisy and laugh as she looks so silly!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by petensue
My puppy chewed Roxy's rego tag and it is holding on there by a tiny piece of plastic!Do you have to pay for a replacement do you know?

How on earth did Rocky get his metal one off let alone bury it!
I havent been charged for a replacement one.

God only knows how he got his metal one off, it was on two hoops and there is only one hoop left on his collar and the end of his leather collar has been chewed.

No doubt we shall find it one day....
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I always get anoyed when kids just run up and pat our dog on the head. She is fine, but lots of dogs arn't, especially when they have a hand coming from above. I have been pleasantly supprised by how many children in the last few years have asked first. It does seem to be getting more common.
My parents have a Belgian Shepard, and were at our house once in Manchester. He was in the back of the estate car, which is HIS area, where he feels safe (he loves that car). The local kids all came running up and before we could stop them one of them had jumped into the car and wrapped her arms around his neck. He gave a little growl, and then we removed said child. We had to then give that child the talk that her parents should have had, why you don't run up to strange dogs. Even if you know the dog not going into it's area without asking first,and certainly not chucking yourself on it. Could have been nasty if he was not such a nice dog.

Tiddlypom, we have had plenty of dominance scrapes, not sure why as ours doesn't look threatening to me, she doesn't go up to the other dogs, they come to her. They must be jelous of her stunning looks. But she can live with a little snap, and it doesn't seem to bother her too much, but it is probably why she doesn't tend to go upto other dogs.

I realise that just because a dog has attacked another dog does not mean they will attack a child (and not having kids I am far more concerned that SHE would be attacked again anyway), BUT if your dog really has never attacked another dog like that and it is a huge shock to you, you would have to also assume the dog COULD snap in the same way if a child did something to upset them as you KNOW the dog is capable of it.

Anyway she is feeling much better today and is very keen now for a walk. She is letting me touch the wounds, which are healing amazingly well, so I will try a collar on her when her Daddy gets home and take her for a nice walk. She is still holding her ear at a funny angle though.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Yes, I always get anoyed when kids just run up and pat our dog on the head.
Apparently most dogs hate being patted on the head. Scratching under the chin is much friendlier to the dog (apparently)

Tiddlypom, we have had plenty of dominance scrapes, not sure why as ours doesn't look threatening to me, she doesn't go up to the other dogs, they come to her. They must be jelous of her stunning looks. But she can live with a little snap, and it doesn't seem to bother her too much, but it is probably why she doesn't tend to go upto other dogs.
Me too. My dog loves all other dogs, but not all dogs love her...
She got in a full on dominance scrap with another dog the other week and really shocked me. Never saw her do that before... but as she gets older, it's like there's a rank they all seem to obey... it's weird.

, BUT if your dog really has never attacked another dog like that and it is a huge shock to you, you would have to also assume the dog COULD snap in the same way if a child did something to upset them as you KNOW the dog is capable of it.
I think all dogs are capable... weird things trigger them off and we never really know.... but when you hear the stories about kids being attacked (Family Rotty kept in small pub, never exercised kills the baby or grandmother's dog attacks and kills small child) it's quite often a case they're unexercised and undisciplined. Some crazy people out there....

Anyway she is feeling much better today and is very keen now for a walk. She is letting me touch the wounds, which are healing amazingly well, so I will try a collar on her when her Daddy gets home and take her for a nice walk. She is still holding her ear at a funny angle though.
That's good news. She should be right real soon. Amazing how fast they heal up.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=TiddlyPom;7077921]Apparently most dogs hate being patted on the head. Scratching under the chin is much friendlier to the dog (apparently)

I was told(don't know if it is true) that it was quite aggressive to the dog to pat them on the head and that you should let them sniff your hand before stroking them.Also at the training classes we were told that it is rude in dog eyes to approach a dog head on,a friendly dog will approach from the side.It is odd because I have never noticed that before until we were told that and that is what Daisy will do at the dog beach!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by petensue
I was told(don't know if it is true) that it was quite aggressive to the dog to pat them on the head and that you should let them sniff your hand before stroking them.Also at the training classes we were told that it is rude in dog eyes to approach a dog head on,a friendly dog will approach from the side.It is odd because I have never noticed that before until we were told that and that is what Daisy will do at the dog beach!
Yes that's right - they really don't like it ... and dogs circle, esp when they're leaving each other after a fight, so if you get your dog after a fight, walk it in a big wide circle to dispense the agro... side on and no eye contact is your way of saying 'I'm no threat'.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Yes that's right - they really don't like it ... and dogs circle, esp when they're leaving each other after a fight, so if you get your dog after a fight, walk it in a big wide circle to dispense the agro... side on and no eye contact is your way of saying 'I'm no threat'.
Thanks for the advice I did not know that.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:07 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like teenage rebellion.. next he'll be piercing his belly button and getting a tattoo!

Em x
Old Dec 19th 2008, 2:02 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read this post and did noy reply but I cannot help myself.

Human beings are unpredictable let alone dogs, the last thing a dog owner say's to you when "harmless" Fido bounds up to you is "don't worry he wont bite" as if they know ffs.

I personally do not like dogs that much although we had 2 when I was growing up and my 6 year old now wants one.I think that they should all be kept on a lead in public although there should be specific areas for dogs to be let off the lead. When I am around the lake or a park most of them are a nuisance either in the way or or running up to you and wanting to play.

Most dog owners are responsible but there are also a number who are not and they think the world revolves around their dog and everyone else should accomodate / like dogs, well we don't all like dogs so keep the bloody thing on a lead.

Sorry yes you should report it and any dog that attacks anyone or seriously harms another dog should be destroyed IMO.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
I have read this post and did noy reply but I cannot help myself.

Human beings are unpredictable let alone dogs, the last thing a dog owner say's to you when "harmless" Fido bounds up to you is "don't worry he wont bite" as if they know ffs.

I personally do not like dogs that much although we had 2 when I was growing up and my 6 year old now wants one.I think that they should all be kept on a lead in public although there should be specific areas for dogs to be let off the lead. When I am around the lake or a park most of them are a nuisance either in the way or or running up to you and wanting to play.

Most dog owners are responsible but there are also a number who are not and they think the world revolves around their dog and everyone else should accomodate / like dogs, well we don't all like dogs so keep the bloody thing on a lead.

Sorry yes you should report it and any dog that attacks anyone or seriously harms another dog should be destroyed IMO.

The ranger said to me last week that anyone who risks the fines to let their dog have a good run is an irresponsible owner. The rules are there for a reason.

What one dog owner perceives to be acceptable behaviour with their dog - jumping up/nipping could prove to be quite sacry to someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.