Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Wikiposts

Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog attack, will reporting do anything?

Originally Posted by framac67
If you report it and nothing happens, take a hammer to its head the next time. Hit the very top of its head and it will drop, never to get up again and if you feel bad, think how a child would have ended up with those teeth ripping the flesh. I'm a dog lover (honestly) and its the owners who are at fault. If the dog is vicious, then it should be muzzled, end off.
I fully agree with you. My neighbour down the road has had his staffy savaged by a pit bull, he whacked the dog on the head with a skateboard and the dog STILL carried on.

I told the owner of the doberman that attacked me that I would kill his dog if it ever came near me again.

What shocked me was a friend in the UK said 'Oh poor dog' - I hate that attitude, this was not nervous aggression, it was just pure aggression and poor dog my butt.

I have never in my career as a vet nurse seen such poor display of animal control. There was a guy in the vet who had a little a bitch of about 8 years old who had just had puppies FFS! - he proudly told me that as soon as she can, she is going to get pregnant again as he had homes lined up.

The attitude to de-sexing is backward - anyone would think it was the owners reproductive organs that were being removed, and my favourite of all, knowing that you have a dog that isn't good with other dogs yet STILL think it is OK to let it off the lead.

In our Regional Park, dogs are not allowed off the lead but the owners are thick enough to think it is better to pay the fines rather than keep their dogs under control and on the leash.

Very very backward attitude and I am so limited to where I can take my own dog as the bastard with these two dobermans frequents all the parks. If I see him again though I will report him.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Dec 15th 2008 at 10:37 am.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much everyone. I will find out the address of this dog and report it. It wasn't actually on a walk, it just bolted through an open gate.

I did not want to really say at the beginning of the post because of the 'poor dog' attitude some people have, but hubbie was punching it in the face, kicking it, he broke our dogs ball thrower hitting the other dog with it, squeezed it's neck trying to get it to let go and nothing. Him and the owner were together trying to prize it's jaws open, luckily it went to get a better grip and they managed to get her out.
Hubbie did not want to hurt the dog, but it had ours around the throat, which is never good. He says the next thing he would have done would be to gouge at it's eyes, although he didn't want to.
There was that one in Liverpool not long ago which killed a kiddie and that was holding on for 20 minutes I think they said, so I count ourselves very lucky she only had to endure that for 2 minutes.

I am off to the vets in an hour (the soonest appointment they had, only spent an hour at work, then came home), as she is acting very odd today, not moving at all, crying if she does, and not even having a drink of milk (her favourite). Hopefully they can give her some pain killers if nothing else. If they want to look at the wound I think she will have to be sedated.

So then we will have the joy of seeing if this bloke actually pays up for the vets bills (which he did say he would, but it is amazing how people change their mind when there is a bill).

Thanks again everyone
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Thanks very much everyone. I will find out the address of this dog and report it. It wasn't actually on a walk, it just bolted through an open gate.

I did not want to really say at the beginning of the post because of the 'poor dog' attitude some people have, but hubbie was punching it in the face, kicking it, he broke our dogs ball thrower hitting the other dog with it, squeezed it's neck trying to get it to let go and nothing. Him and the owner were together trying to prize it's jaws open, luckily it went to get a better grip and they managed to get her out.
Hubbie did not want to hurt the dog, but it had ours around the throat, which is never good. He says the next thing he would have done would be to gouge at it's eyes, although he didn't want to.
There was that one in Liverpool not long ago which killed a kiddie and that was holding on for 20 minutes I think they said, so I count ourselves very lucky she only had to endure that for 2 minutes.

I am off to the vets in an hour (the soonest appointment they had, only spent an hour at work, then came home), as she is acting very odd today, not moving at all, crying if she does, and not even having a drink of milk (her favourite). Hopefully they can give her some pain killers if nothing else. If they want to look at the wound I think she will have to be sedated.

So then we will have the joy of seeing if this bloke actually pays up for the vets bills (which he did say he would, but it is amazing how people change their mind when there is a bill).

Thanks again everyone
Definately report it, and I think I'd be having a word with the local police. Also have a word with the body corporate of the block where the owner lives regarding whether dogs are allowed to be kept in apartments. Irresponsible owners and dangerous dogs don't make for a good combination.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:09 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope you get a positive result from the relevant authorities. This stretch of the beach is popular with so many young families, and the grassy areas are always filled with people picnicing, babies crawling on blankets, toddlers playing ball. As I mentioned before this is the little stretch where we always go for a swim/walk/cycle. I will be especially vigilant now, in that particular area and have warned my girls to also be aware.
Hope everything goes well for you at the vets and the guy coughs up for the bill. I doubt it'll be cheap.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Good luck at the vets, hope your dog is OK.

Our labrador was attacked by a small dog about a year before we left England. not as severe as your attack but enough to shake her up. After that she became a bit assertive towards other small dogs. I say assertive because she never attacked but she did growl. we were mortified because she appeared really vicious.
We went to the vets in the end for advice and they said it was quite common after attack. Thus, we had a long period of on lead walks and meeting as many nice small dogs as possible to make her feel confident again. She fine now again the final cure was being next door to small dogs in quarantine.

I would def report.people need to be more responsible and accountable.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:18 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Having been attacked by a doberman in the regional park where I live - both myself and my dog were at the receiving end, I would strongly urge you to report it.

Owners always say that their dog hasnt done this before but I now do not believe them.

I had to attempt to strangle this doberman who was snapping at my face while I was on the floor, I gripped with all my strength and could smell his breath on my face, he choked a bit and then his owner came and got him off. He said 'you did exactly the right thing' and then told me the reason he didnt come and help was because he had to put his female dog in the car or she would have joined in.

I didnt report it and I regret it because I heard his dogs attacked a tiny blue heeler puppy.

The dog went for me and my dog in turn and had I been a child I would not have got away.

Report it, they will take it seriously and he can be find alot of money.

I dont get it, if someone knows that their dog isnt good with people/other dogs then bloody leash and muzzle it.

Weren't you tempted to keep strangling it? I've always understood that if you are attacked by a dog and you manage to maneuver into a position of advantage then pulling it's legs apart and splitting it's rib-cage will guarantee its demise?

This is a serious comment BTW.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Weren't you tempted to keep strangling it? I've always understood that if you are attacked by a dog and you manage to maneuver into a position of advantage then pulling it's legs apart and splitting it's rib-cage will guarantee its demise?

This is a serious comment BTW.
How would she do that with a doberman stood over her with one hand on it's neck? Dobermans are extremely fast and agile...not to mention powerful. But I do believe you are correct.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:22 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How would she do that with a doberman stood over her with one hand on it's neck? Dobermans are extremely fast and agile...not to mention powerful. But I do believe you are correct.
I guess that's where the potential 'position of advantage' would come into effect.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Weren't you tempted to keep strangling it?
I think I too would have 'ad it'!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:27 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by spartacus
I think I too would have 'ad it'!
I'm a dog-lover (in the legal sense) but I've often thought that if a dog ever attacked me then unless it manages to get the better of me (in a legal sense) I would just keep punching the living sh*te of it and trying to get it into a position where I could simply pull its legs wide apart (in the legal sense).
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that's where the potential 'position of advantage' would come into effect.
If you have the presence of mind and the time to get into that position. I used to have dobermans...I would not want to tangle with one under any circumstances. The more you fight them off the more frantic they become.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm a dog-lover
As am I . . .
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:30 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

If you have the presence of mind and the time to get into that position. I used to have dobermans...I would not want to tangle with one under any circumstances. The more you fight them off the more frantic they become.
I'd see it as a challenge (really).
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Spartacus scratches Doberman puppy off Xmas wish list . . . .
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd see it as a challenge (really).
Go on my son!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.