Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:49 pm
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all
Default Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

I did try to do a search as I know I have read about it before but I can never get the bloody thing to work properly!!

Anyway want to know do I need to buy Tom Tom here in Australia for it to work in Australia, or if I buy it in the UK will it work here!! DOes that make sense??
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:51 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
I did try to do a search as I know I have read about it before but I can never get the bloody thing to work properly!!

Anyway want to know do I need to buy Tom Tom here in Australia for it to work in Australia, or if I buy it in the UK will it work here!! DOes that make sense??
Really good question, we've been thinking about buying a sat nav here but didn't know where to start, or just leave it until we move.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Would not buy a tom tom personally. Tried one of their latest the other day, was not much good to be honest. The satnav fitted my my mother in laws car was far superior, and that is just a standard fit.

For instance, when on roundabouts with loads of exits, it says turn right, but if there are 5 exits, go figure. It does not count the turnings. Then we were going down a dual carriageway, and it said turn left now. We were almost on top of the junction (No previous warning), so we said it must mean the next one. It did not. So, next time it happened, we turned left immediately, this time it did mean the next one. The owner of the unit agreed, and has already traded it in.

A lot of people swear by Tom Tom, but I think Garmin is far superior. As for whether they work in Aus, I know the latest one does, you can buy the maps for Aus.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:17 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry pardon my ignorance. But what is Tom Tom? Is it GPS?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:22 pm
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Would not buy a tom tom personally. Tried one of their latest the other day, was not much good to be honest. The satnav fitted my my mother in laws car was far superior, and that is just a standard fit.

For instance, when on roundabouts with loads of exits, it says turn right, but if there are 5 exits, go figure. It does not count the turnings. Then we were going down a dual carriageway, and it said turn left now. We were almost on top of the junction (No previous warning), so we said it must mean the next one. It did not. So, next time it happened, we turned left immediately, this time it did mean the next one. The owner of the unit agreed, and has already traded it in.

A lot of people swear by Tom Tom, but I think Garmin is far superior. As for whether they work in Aus, I know the latest one does, you can buy the maps for Aus.

Thanks for that, only said Tom Tom as didnt know any other brands will look into that one!!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Cool. I dont know if Garmin works in Aus though !

I am going to look into it on Sunday and I will post back then what I have found. I am going to buy one before I leave also, and hopefully get the maps loaded onto it so it's all ready to go.

Cheers
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

I would have to totally disagree, I have used Tom Tom for over a year and highly rate it. Yes the odd direction is wrong but this is usually down to you not having the latest maps downloaded and all vendors have map errors. 99% of time I find it spot on.

You describe it not giving you enough warning before an instruction, this is a user defined option which you can edit yourself and set how many yards notice you would like.

As for the roundabout thing I don't understand as mine always says what turning it is if there is more than 3 options. You have to use the screen in conjunction with the voice. If you are ever confused by what it means, which turning etc. a quick glance at the screen will confirm.

I use Tom Tom on my PDA so if you had that kind of setup then yes it would work fine, you would just need the Australia maps. As for the Tom Tom branded unit - the more expensive ones come with Europe, USA and Canada built-in so surely is one somewhere with Australia. Check out their homepage.

Cheers
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:52 pm
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of

Hi,

I cannot get TomTom working on my PDA (I think it is the GPS receiver that is not recognised) and have to use Medion instead. Does anyone know if maps are available for that one as I cannot find any?

I have tried their web site btw and they don't list it so I am assuming not, but you never know.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:29 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Genie
Hi,

I cannot get TomTom working on my PDA (I think it is the GPS receiver that is not recognised) and have to use Medion instead. Does anyone know if maps are available for that one as I cannot find any?

I have tried their web site btw and they don't list it so I am assuming not, but you never know.
Its probably cheaper to get a new GPS receiver than new maps if the Tomtom maps you have a recent.

Newer GPS receivers run for about 15-30 hours on one charge, and use more sattelites for a better fix.

If anybody is interested I have a Navman set complete with PDA which I bought in Feb in Oz. I now use Tomtom on m y mobile phone, and already have the Oz maps for that as well as Europe.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:08 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

For instance, when on roundabouts with loads of exits, it says turn right, but if there are 5 exits, go figure.
I've got tom tom on my mobile and apart from my Nokia having bluetooth problems, I've found the navaigation to be fine. With the roundabouts exits, it says "take 4th exit" and so on. Maybe you were using an old version?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by delsol79
I would have to totally disagree, I have used Tom Tom for over a year and highly rate it. Yes the odd direction is wrong but this is usually down to you not having the latest maps downloaded and all vendors have map errors. 99% of time I find it spot on.

You describe it not giving you enough warning before an instruction, this is a user defined option which you can edit yourself and set how many yards notice you would like.

As for the roundabout thing I don't understand as mine always says what turning it is if there is more than 3 options. You have to use the screen in conjunction with the voice. If you are ever confused by what it means, which turning etc. a quick glance at the screen will confirm.

I use Tom Tom on my PDA so if you had that kind of setup then yes it would work fine, you would just need the Australia maps. As for the Tom Tom branded unit - the more expensive ones come with Europe, USA and Canada built-in so surely is one somewhere with Australia. Check out their homepage.

Cheers
Me too - I am a tom-tom stick of rock.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fnord
I've got tom tom on my mobile and apart from my Nokia having bluetooth problems, I've found the navaigation to be fine. With the roundabouts exits, it says "take 4th exit" and so on. Maybe you were using an old version?
Could someone please explain how sat nav is available on a mobile phone ? Do you still have to buy the sat nav system then adapt it to your phone ? cheers folks
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:36 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Could someone please explain how sat nav is available on a mobile phone ? Do you still have to buy the sat nav system then adapt it to your phone ? cheers folks
Firstly you need a "smart phone"

Nokia have a couple in the N "series"

They then have the possibility to install tom tom (or similar)

Once installed, you still need a GPS receiver. about 50 pounds plus. Maps can be bought online (or downloaded)

I have this one, and works fab. N70
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Firstly you need a "smart phone"

Nokia have a couple in the N "series"

They then have the possibility to install tom tom (or similar)

Once installed, you still need a GPS receiver. about 50 pounds plus. Maps can be bought online (or downloaded)

I have this one, and works fab. N70
thanks a lot will do a bit research with your help regards bobby
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!

Dunno bout tom tom but I've got a navman and just need to purchase an australian card for it and it'll work there too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.