British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/does-tom-tom-work-australia-if-you-buy-uk-393892/)

Toon Williams the Second! Aug 31st 2006 1:49 pm

Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

I did try to do a search as I know I have read about it before but I can never get the bloody thing to work properly!!

Anyway want to know do I need to buy Tom Tom here in Australia for it to work in Australia, or if I buy it in the UK will it work here!! DOes that make sense?? :rolleyes:

herrchook Aug 31st 2006 1:51 pm

Re: Does Tom Tom work in Australia if you buy it in UK??

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
I did try to do a search as I know I have read about it before but I can never get the bloody thing to work properly!!

Anyway want to know do I need to buy Tom Tom here in Australia for it to work in Australia, or if I buy it in the UK will it work here!! DOes that make sense?? :rolleyes:

Really good question, we've been thinking about buying a sat nav here but didn't know where to start, or just leave it until we move.

TheAshleys Aug 31st 2006 2:07 pm

Would not buy a tom tom personally. Tried one of their latest the other day, was not much good to be honest. The satnav fitted my my mother in laws car was far superior, and that is just a standard fit.

For instance, when on roundabouts with loads of exits, it says turn right, but if there are 5 exits, go figure. It does not count the turnings. Then we were going down a dual carriageway, and it said turn left now. We were almost on top of the junction (No previous warning), so we said it must mean the next one. It did not. So, next time it happened, we turned left immediately, this time it did mean the next one. The owner of the unit agreed, and has already traded it in.

A lot of people swear by Tom Tom, but I think Garmin is far superior. As for whether they work in Aus, I know the latest one does, you can buy the maps for Aus.

Jockstar Aug 31st 2006 2:17 pm

Sorry pardon my ignorance. But what is Tom Tom? Is it GPS?

Toon Williams the Second! Aug 31st 2006 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Would not buy a tom tom personally. Tried one of their latest the other day, was not much good to be honest. The satnav fitted my my mother in laws car was far superior, and that is just a standard fit.

For instance, when on roundabouts with loads of exits, it says turn right, but if there are 5 exits, go figure. It does not count the turnings. Then we were going down a dual carriageway, and it said turn left now. We were almost on top of the junction (No previous warning), so we said it must mean the next one. It did not. So, next time it happened, we turned left immediately, this time it did mean the next one. The owner of the unit agreed, and has already traded it in.

A lot of people swear by Tom Tom, but I think Garmin is far superior. As for whether they work in Aus, I know the latest one does, you can buy the maps for Aus.

Thanks for that, only said Tom Tom as didnt know any other brands will look into that one!!

TheAshleys Aug 31st 2006 2:24 pm

Cool. I dont know if Garmin works in Aus though !

I am going to look into it on Sunday and I will post back then what I have found. I am going to buy one before I leave also, and hopefully get the maps loaded onto it so it's all ready to go.

Cheers

delsol79 Aug 31st 2006 2:30 pm

I would have to totally disagree, I have used Tom Tom for over a year and highly rate it. Yes the odd direction is wrong but this is usually down to you not having the latest maps downloaded and all vendors have map errors. 99% of time I find it spot on.

You describe it not giving you enough warning before an instruction, this is a user defined option which you can edit yourself and set how many yards notice you would like.

As for the roundabout thing I don't understand as mine always says what turning it is if there is more than 3 options. You have to use the screen in conjunction with the voice. If you are ever confused by what it means, which turning etc. a quick glance at the screen will confirm.

I use Tom Tom on my PDA so if you had that kind of setup then yes it would work fine, you would just need the Australia maps. As for the Tom Tom branded unit - the more expensive ones come with Europe, USA and Canada built-in so surely is one somewhere with Australia. Check out their homepage.

Cheers

The Genie Aug 31st 2006 2:52 pm

Hi,

I cannot get TomTom working on my PDA (I think it is the GPS receiver that is not recognised) and have to use Medion instead. Does anyone know if maps are available for that one as I cannot find any?

I have tried their web site btw and they don't list it so I am assuming not, but you never know.

furkew Aug 31st 2006 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by The Genie
Hi,

I cannot get TomTom working on my PDA (I think it is the GPS receiver that is not recognised) and have to use Medion instead. Does anyone know if maps are available for that one as I cannot find any?

I have tried their web site btw and they don't list it so I am assuming not, but you never know.

Its probably cheaper to get a new GPS receiver than new maps if the Tomtom maps you have a recent.

Newer GPS receivers run for about 15-30 hours on one charge, and use more sattelites for a better fix.

If anybody is interested I have a Navman set complete with PDA which I bought in Feb in Oz. I now use Tomtom on m y mobile phone, and already have the Oz maps for that as well as Europe.

fnord Aug 31st 2006 5:08 pm

For instance, when on roundabouts with loads of exits, it says turn right, but if there are 5 exits, go figure.

I've got tom tom on my mobile and apart from my Nokia having bluetooth problems, I've found the navaigation to be fine. With the roundabouts exits, it says "take 4th exit" and so on. Maybe you were using an old version?

halcyon 52 Aug 31st 2006 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by delsol79
I would have to totally disagree, I have used Tom Tom for over a year and highly rate it. Yes the odd direction is wrong but this is usually down to you not having the latest maps downloaded and all vendors have map errors. 99% of time I find it spot on.

You describe it not giving you enough warning before an instruction, this is a user defined option which you can edit yourself and set how many yards notice you would like.

As for the roundabout thing I don't understand as mine always says what turning it is if there is more than 3 options. You have to use the screen in conjunction with the voice. If you are ever confused by what it means, which turning etc. a quick glance at the screen will confirm.

I use Tom Tom on my PDA so if you had that kind of setup then yes it would work fine, you would just need the Australia maps. As for the Tom Tom branded unit - the more expensive ones come with Europe, USA and Canada built-in so surely is one somewhere with Australia. Check out their homepage.

Cheers

Me too - I am a tom-tom stick of rock. :)

bobbyftm Aug 31st 2006 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by fnord
I've got tom tom on my mobile and apart from my Nokia having bluetooth problems, I've found the navaigation to be fine. With the roundabouts exits, it says "take 4th exit" and so on. Maybe you were using an old version?

Could someone please explain how sat nav is available on a mobile phone ? Do you still have to buy the sat nav system then adapt it to your phone ? cheers folks

furkew Aug 31st 2006 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Could someone please explain how sat nav is available on a mobile phone ? Do you still have to buy the sat nav system then adapt it to your phone ? cheers folks

Firstly you need a "smart phone"

Nokia have a couple in the N "series"

They then have the possibility to install tom tom (or similar)

Once installed, you still need a GPS receiver. about 50 pounds plus. Maps can be bought online (or downloaded)

I have this one, and works fab. N70

bobbyftm Aug 31st 2006 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by furkew

Once installed, you still need a GPS receiver. about 50 pounds plus. Maps can be bought online (or downloaded)

thanks a lot will do a bit research with your help regards bobby

Australia_bound? Aug 31st 2006 8:58 pm

Dunno bout tom tom but I've got a navman and just need to purchase an australian card for it and it'll work there too :D

Hutch Aug 31st 2006 10:14 pm

Had a TomTom Go! 510, purchased nice and cheap in the UK in an introductory sale. Bought the Australian maps when we got here - they were pretty expensive, but you can't use 'bent' maps with the full TomTom units. Have no problem with the unit itself, it's incredibly configurable, but the maps have their moments. At least when the map *is* updated, I'll be able to just download the new version. :)

fnord Sep 1st 2006 8:20 am

Yeah, that's the one I have. Does it work fine with POI turned on? I had to follow specific instructions to ensure bluetooth doesn't disconnect which includes turning off POI. This is just a problem with the N70 apparently, other compatible Nokias are fine. In fact, if it wasn't for TomTom I would have been better off with a less annoying phone like an SE W800.

zakspeed Sep 1st 2006 8:55 am

Hi i spoke TOM TOM a few days ago and asked the same qustion ,they said there GO range does work in OZ all you have to is go online and down load the OZ map. i have bought the GO 910 and downloaded the OZ map. the satnav itself works very well here in the uk ,we are due to go to OZ mid october so fingers crossed we wont get lost

alipally Sep 1st 2006 9:17 am

I have Tom Tom on my mobile phone with a GPS box

(Jockstar, Tom Tom is a satellite navigation system that tells you where to go rather than reading maps, so it's better for girls, like me!!!! :eek: )

We went to Florida earlier this year and downloaded the maps for there, it worked just fine..... you can get Oz maps too, so no problems in transfering over. Which is good, because, quite frankly I couldn't be without it now. Especially if I get a job doing medical repping in QLD!!

Ali

Dawn Sep 1st 2006 10:12 am

Hi there, we bought our tom tom in the uk, downloaded maps for Aus on the internet, cost about £100.00. hubby said better buying here as obviously have aus map already on. tom tom and garmin both work out here, :)

Cool. I dont know if Garmin works in Aus though !

I am going to look into it on Sunday and I will post back then what I have found. I am going to buy one before I leave also, and hopefully get the maps loaded onto it so it's all ready to go.

Cheers

h2oskineil Sep 1st 2006 10:29 am

Hi,

Hi there

I have the TOM TOM Australia maps for a PDA, running Windows.
If you need a copy, drop me a email and I'll email them to you. Due to the size 85MB I'll have to send them via an ftp web site as it's too big as an email atachment.

Neil.

Jensen Healey Sep 1st 2006 11:15 am

Flicking through the local papers in Bris last month it struck me that prices were generally lower for this sort of thing over there than over here. No hard evidence and I can't remember the numbers now, it was just a gut feeling. There was also a brand I'd never heard of which was even cheaper.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it might be better for you to wait until you get there!

furkew Sep 1st 2006 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by fnord
Yeah, that's the one I have. Does it work fine with POI turned on? I had to follow specific instructions to ensure bluetooth doesn't disconnect which includes turning off POI. This is just a problem with the N70 apparently, other compatible Nokias are fine. In fact, if it wasn't for TomTom I would have been better off with a less annoying phone like an SE W800.

I havent used it too much to find out, and also my Navman GPS isn't compatible with the N70, so I need to buy a new GPS first.

I have read quite a few reveiws about the N70 with tomtom & I havent noticed any major flaws.

steve`o Sep 1st 2006 4:56 pm

Hi,

map for tom tom nav 5 on torrentspy.com

you will need bitlord 1.1 to download it

apparently :rolleyes:

furkew Sep 1st 2006 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o
[

and for the mobiler users tomtom Oz mobile :D

torrentz.com

steve`o Sep 1st 2006 5:12 pm

and for the mobiler users tomtom Oz mobile :D

torrentz.com

i see your still hanging around :rolleyes:

furkew Sep 1st 2006 5:14 pm

i see your still hanging around :rolleyes:

I can't help it.

I gave up drugs and smoking, so that just leaves getting drunk while playing on BE :beer:

The Genie Sep 2nd 2006 6:02 am

you will need bitlord 1.1 to download it

apparently :rolleyes:

Thanks, but I am using Medion Navigator on my PDA as the latest Tom Tom does not seem to recognise my GPS receiver. If someone can help with getting it working on Tom Tom, I would appreciate it. My receiver is a RoyalTek RGM-2000. I have used the settings described on the RoyalTek website, but to no avail.

Pommie Granite Sep 2nd 2006 7:26 am

We looked into buying the N70 from the UK, getting it unlocked and then using it in Oz.:D

After having made many calls to unlocking shops, network providers and also having trawled mobile phone forums, we found out the following:

1. The N70 and other Nokia Smartphones cannot be unlocked by anyone other than the service provider IF they provided YOU with the phone on contract.:(

2. If you satisfy the above, you can request an unlock code, which will be posted to you after a few weeks.:(

3. It's best to buy an already unlocked phone (but be careful as some of those advertised on Ebay as unlocked are infact simlocked).:(

I guess we'll just have to pay the premium and buy a more expenive N70 when we get to Oz :(

Good Luck :)

furkew Sep 2nd 2006 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
We looked into buying the N70 from the UK, getting it unlocked and then using it in Oz.:D

After having made many calls to unlocking shops, network providers and also having trawled mobile phone forums, we found out the following:

1. The N70 and other Nokia Smartphones cannot be unlocked by anyone other than the service provider IF they provided YOU with the phone on contract.:(

2. If you satisfy the above, you can request an unlock code, which will be posted to you after a few weeks.:(

3. It's best to buy an already unlocked phone (but be careful as some of those advertised on Ebay as unlocked are infact simlocked).:(

I guess we'll just have to pay the premium and buy a more expenive N70 when we get to Oz :(

Good Luck :)

I bought mine here in Holland and paid top money as well, but when I leave, at least I dont need to hand it back to the boss.

It might be worth looking out for a special offer as the N70 has been out for a while, they should be getting a bit cheaper.

h2oskineil Sep 2nd 2006 11:16 am

Hi ya

I was in Dick Smith today (like curry's) and here are the prices for their GPS

Navman icn 330 $488
Tom Tom GO710 $949
Tom Tom One $686
Garmin C320 Street Pilot $878
Navma icn530 $649

One of the cheapest places I found in the UK was http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Check them out. 'Apperently' you can download the Australia maps from the internet (or I'll email them to you) but I understand they will only work on a PDA running MS Pocket Windows not a Tom Tom unit. Put it this way, they work on my PDA with out any problem.

Neil.

Perthforme Sep 2nd 2006 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Hi ya

Navman icn 330 $488
Tom Tom GO710 $949
Tom Tom One $686
Navma icn530 $649

One of the cheapest places I found in the UK was http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Check them out. 'Apperently' you can download the Australia maps from the internet (or I'll email them to you) but I understand they will only work on a PDA running MS Pocket Windows not a Tom Tom unit. Put it this way, they work on my PDA with out any problem.

Neil.

I got the same system and its been great for finding our way around . :D

fnord Sep 4th 2006 8:41 am

I have read quite a few reveiws about the N70 with tomtom & I havent noticed any major flaws.

Check the Nokia forum for several long rants about bluetooth problems.

Annoyances for me:
  1. TomTom locks when turning on POI
  2. Hands-free mic is poor (compared to K710)
  3. Image quality is poor (compared to K710 which has a LOWER pixel count)
  4. Volume control does not work during calls when using Telediscount (free calls to NZ/OZ)
  5. Forwarding text messages to same recipient takes 10 clicks (2 in K710)
  6. Startup is the slowest I've ever experienced (45 secs)
  7. After startup, signal exists for a second, then disappears for a while before coming back so making a call from a turned off mobile is frustrating.
  8. Nokia PC suite disconnects after about 4 minutes with bluetooth so music transfers need to use USB

Of course, some of these things won't bother some people, depending on how they use it.

Would I pick another phone? Well, no. Why? Because there isn't another phone which is free on contract on O2 (free 0845 calls, handset not locked), is TomTom compatible, has FM radio, a (relatively) decent camera and has a memory slot. Oh, plus I have about 7 months left on my contract :) .

bobbyftm Sep 4th 2006 10:25 am

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Hi ya

Navman icn 330 $488
Tom Tom GO710 $949
Tom Tom One $686
Navma icn530 $649

Neil.

Speaking as a complete novice on this subject(and looking at the prices you've supplied) would i be correct in assuming it would be lots cheaper to buy a PDA and the maps rather than buy the TOM TOM.Would there be any pitfalls by doing this or would it work just as well
cheers neil regards bobby

The Genie Sep 4th 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks, but I am using Medion Navigator on my PDA as the latest Tom Tom does not seem to recognise my GPS receiver. If someone can help with getting it working on Tom Tom, I would appreciate it. My receiver is a RoyalTek RGM-2000. I have used the settings described on the RoyalTek website, but to no avail.

If anyone has a RoyalTek GPS receiver that they cannot get working in TomTom 5, let me know as I have now managed it and it isn't straight forward.