Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Sexism exist in OZ?

Does Sexism exist in OZ?

Old Sep 16th 2003, 10:42 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Question Does Sexism exist in OZ?

I just had a long, interesting chat to Badgers and we discussed a massive range of questions about our own personal takes on Oz.

An interesting one was "is there any real sexism overthere or is it just the norm to expect it" (it was a good chat honest!) I'd love some stories from how you lot overthere percieve this and see if our result was anywhere near the real thing.

PS, if i do 18 more posts we also worked out that i would overtake him on the "most posted" board, how sad is that? :scared:
Old Sep 16th 2003, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does Sexism exist in OZ?

Hi, I have found most blokes ok to talk to and have treated me no differently to my husband. But there has been a few incidenses with younger blokes that don't know how to take me. I was brought up with 3 older brothers and was very much a 'tomboy' and have been told by some of my husbands mates that I talk a bit 'blokey' if you know what I mean, so they don't mind if I join in on one of the blokes nights out, they just see me as another mate!! So these few younger aussie blokes that I have met have just not known how to take me, and it has taken a while for them to be comfortable around me, especially when we are all standing around in the garage talking underneath a bonnet of a car!!!

anyway, I don't give a two hoots if someone is a bit sexist, it just goes right over my head and I don't take any notice!! As far as I'm concerned its their problem not mine.

mandy

Originally posted by h garrett
I just had a long, interesting chat to Badgers and we discussed a massive range of questions about our own personal takes on Oz.

An interesting one was "is there any real sexism overthere or is it just the norm to expect it" (it was a good chat honest!) I'd love some stories from how you lot overthere percieve this and see if our result was anywhere near the real thing.

PS, if i do 18 more posts we also worked out that i would overtake him on the "most posted" board, how sad is that? :scared:
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:01 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by h garrett

You an it or prevaricating?
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:03 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
You an it or prevaricating?
The latter (i think!)
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

anyway, I don't give a two hoots if someone is a bit sexist, it just goes right over my head and I don't take any notice!! As far as I'm concerned its their problem not mine.

mandy
to right!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

The fact they have loads of skimpies says it all?!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:11 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Larissa
Says that the place is alright in my books

Take it you've never been to Amsterdam.....or Soho....
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:14 am
High in the Dandenongs

Yeah, but a least we know we can always earn a crust if things get desperate! (badgers explained what they are aswell DOH )
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:15 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Hens Weekend Activities
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:24 am
Badge

sh*t yeah there is sexism??!!!

As I reckon Heather there is a kind of "traditionalism" in a lot of aussie blokes - but under that exterior they seem to be a bunch of gents.

PS Thaks for the call - it woke me up and got me out of bed - I've been working till 3am each day to make up for the skiving on expats..

Looks like I wil have to post one for every one you do to stay ahead..you've blown it now!!

badge

Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:29 am
Badge

what gets me is that you'll never overtake the "habitual" top posters like Tina unless you do a PB!!! so you 'll still be 32nd etc

Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, seeing as I'm a woman myself, I can't say I've ever had the urge! Been through places, but I wouldn't exactly want it on my doorstep, particularly since I have two young kids.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:37 am
Banned

Well, seeing as I'm a woman myself, I can't say I've ever had the urge! Been through places, but I wouldn't exactly want it on my doorstep, particularly since I have two young kids.
Immaculate!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 12:04 pm
High in the Dandenongs

never had the urge yet Larissa, but you never know, difficult times and all that
Old Sep 16th 2003, 12:05 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Looks like I wil have to post one for every one you do to stay ahead..you've blown it now!!

badge
Bring it on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.