Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

does oz need hgv licensed drivers

does oz need hgv licensed drivers

Old Jul 10th 2005, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default does oz need hgv licensed drivers

just wanted to know, if they do need hgv drivers for my brother who lives in the states, he is 40 and is just tying to find out if he could migrate to oz, can't seem to find it anywhere, so at the moment i guess he can't, but i have seen some newspaper reports saying that lorry drivers are needed.

thx lisa
Old Jul 10th 2005, 7:44 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does oz need hgv licensed drivers

Originally Posted by lisas
just wanted to know, if they do need hgv drivers for my brother who lives in the states, he is 40 and is just tying to find out if he could migrate to oz, can't seem to find it anywhere, so at the moment i guess he can't, but i have seen some newspaper reports saying that lorry drivers are needed.

thx lisa
Hi Lisa

I also cannot find anything on the SOL, etc, but have found the details of the occupation on the Australian Bureau of Statistics (www.abs.gov.au)
He needs to keep his eye out to see if the occupation number 7311 (Truck Driver) appears on there... see below for the Australian standard job descriptions:

UNIT GROUP 7311 TRUCK DRIVERS

TRUCK DRIVERS drive furniture removal vans and heavy trucks to transport goods and materials.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience.

Tasks Include:
  • manoeuvring vehicles into position for loading and unloading
  • assisting with or carrying out loading or unloading operations, using various lifting or tipping devices
  • estimating weights to comply with load limitations, and ensuring safe distribution of weight
  • packing small items into cartons and other containers, and sealing containers
  • wrapping breakable items and arranging padding around them
  • ensuring goods are stowed and securely covered, to prevent loss and damage
  • verifying loading documents, checking condition of goods and obtaining certification of deliveries

7311-11 Heavy Truck Driver

Drives heavy trucks, requiring specially endorsed classes of licence, to transport bulky goods and materials.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience. Registration or licensing is required.

Tasks Include:
  • manoeuvres vehicles into position for loading or unloading
  • assists with or carries out loading or unloading operations, using various lifting or tipping devices
  • estimates weights to comply with load limitations, and ensures safe distribution of weight
  • ensures goods are stowed and securely covered, to prevent loss and damage
  • verifies loading documents, checks condition of goods and obtains certification of deliveries
  • checks destinations of goods, and determines most appropriate routes
  • maintains logbooks detailing vehicle movements
  • carries out minor maintenance to vehicles, and arranges major maintenance and repairs
  • may transport dangerous goods, such as explosives or petroleum products
Claire
x

Last edited by Jonahs_mummy; Jul 10th 2005 at 7:46 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 7:56 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: does oz need hgv licensed drivers

Originally Posted by lisas

thx lisa

Sorry no it's not on the list so you can't come in!
Look at SOL list and re-train, would be difficult at 40 though, doesn't leave much time to get experience to gain required points! Hairdresser is always on list but would take 2/3 years to train and then would need 2/3 years experience then would be 45/46 so couldn't possible go then as you have to apply before you're 45 (as far as I know).
Sorry if post is a bit blunt but I think like so many others Australian gov makes it very hard to get into their country! I think you'll end up very dissapointed, unless you have a trade?