Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Wikiposts

Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:09 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does going to Oz make you loose weight?

Yes it does.
The airlines are pretty strict on what weight you carry.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazlin
Hi All

Did anyone find that after moving out to Oz that they actually started to loose weight without even trying because the food out there is alot more healthy than here?

Julie
I've lost 8 or 9 pounds since we arrived 8 months ago, really without trying. When we first arrived it was meals out most days & nights. Then we moved into our new house, found good food sources, fruit barns, etc. But all this time weight kept dropping off.

Now that we are settled and eating healthily (fresh fruit and veg most days), my weight is staying the same! I've tried swimming and exercising our dog, but nope, my body has decided its now at its Oz weight and staying there.

Gotta say though, I had gone off the fast food burger thing a year or two before I came over here, so I'm not in the least bit tempted by McD's or Hungry Jacks (Burger King), they are everywhere. I will occasionally do a KFC fillet burger or a Pizza Hut pizza though.

As my aussie work colleagues used to say to me, a work assignement in the UK came with a 1/2 stone weight penalty. It works in reverse as well. For no apparent reason, I lost more than that just by being here.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 20th 2005, 1:15 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Did anyone find that after moving out to Oz that they actually started to loose weight without even trying because the food out there is alot more healthy than here?

Julie
Sounds daft but i could feel the weight piling on, on the plane going out! was so bloated, couldnt get into any of my clothes and it never really disappeared, then what with constant barbies and drink and fast food outlets everywhere (plus a big mac really is a BIG mac) i put a stone on in 6 months, despite lots of walking, swimming etc

All the women who had emigrated that i talked to said they were the same, and had all put on weight after arriving.

I am just sticking to water and plenty of it on the journey out there next time.

Kay
Old Mar 20th 2005, 5:19 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
There was an article in the Herald Sun last week which said that young people in Australia were shunning traditional trade training (carpentry, plumbing etc) in favour of apprenticeships in "truck driving and burger making". Obviously a sign of the times.
Burger making has been exhalted to a trades status? :scared:

Get me a plane outta here
Old Mar 20th 2005, 5:24 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
There was an article in the Herald Sun last week which said that young people in Australia were shunning traditional trade training (carpentry, plumbing etc) in favour of apprenticeships in "truck driving and burger making". Obviously a sign of the times.
Real reason for this is that moronic short-sighted governments here have successively failed to open up opportunities for apprenticeships. It's only very recently that they have started to realise theres a problem now. Plenty of migration opportunites for tradespeople because of this.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:22 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I said this very thing to the rest of the Perth Gals the other day. None of us have lost weight, some even put it on me included.
I was rather hoping that I would loose some with as you say the healthy lifestyle but its far from healthy over here as you will find out. Fast food is everywhere and cheap too, pizza a fave in our house is just too cheap not to scoff an entire large one to myself, we pay $6.95 for a large pizza.

We eat more fruit though, but alas no weight loss despite the pool and the exercise gained for having one.

Jenny
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:30 pm
aussie73

l have heard that takeaway pizza's from places such as Pizza Hut, Pizza Haven etc are alot cheaper in OZ then the UK, is this true, You can get a
large pizza in Oz for 6 or 7 dollars how much does a large pizza cost in the UK in Aussie dollars?

Last edited by aussie73; Mar 20th 2005 at 12:33 pm.

Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:33 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
Agree with that statement, if you like mayo piled on your plate with salad now, will be the same in Oz. Your right our eating habits tend to fall back the into patterns.

Found I ate less choc but more cake as the done thing for ladies is the painfully boring "coffee & cake", that can stack it on.

M

Need to disagree there....you wont eat the same amount of mayo cos it is shite here lol....so is the butter and so is the chocolate.............all the things I had cravings for in the UK hence I have lost 2 stone since coming here!!!!
The weather defo makes u get up of ur arse and go for a walk, you wake earlier in the mornings.......out in the fresh air, even when it rains its still warm here in central Qld so you just get on with it, go to the beach for a swim....doesnt matter if its rainin u get wet anyways

I am 100% more active than I was in the UK, purely because there are so many lovely places to go for a walk, and loads of safe beach for the kids to run around on.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
l have heard that takeaway pizza's from places such as Pizza Hut, Pizza Haven etc are alot cheaper in OZ then the UK, is this true, You can get a
large pizza in Oz for 6 or 7 dollars how much does a large pizza cost in the UK in Aussie dollars?

Yes its true, we get offers in the mailbox constantly from Pizza Hut, Dominos and Eagle Boys.

Pizza Hut offers are large pizza $7.95 each delivered to your door. Or 2 for the price of 1 on a Tuesday, which can work out very cheap. I also have vouchers for pick up, $3.95 for large pizza each if I could be bothered to drive down there and get it! Thats about £1.60p for a large pizza!

Dominos have an ongoing triple 7 deal, three large pizzas delivered for $21.

Eagle boys are even cheaper, but I've never ordered from them.

I just had a quick look at the dominos UK site, it quoted £7.95 for a large pizza (i don't even know if that includes delivery), so that would be oh $19 for 1 pizza!

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 20th 2005, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

mamichelle is on a distinguished road

Hi All

Julie
I found the opposite. At home you have to be a member of a gym, especially in winter, unless you are in a sports team, cos running outside is just not a nice option after work. I thought that here I would just go running because the weather is nice. It didn't work! I just couldn't motivate myself as well as I could when going to a gym class. The food here is really good, and meat is cheaper so I eat way more red meat than I ever did in the UK. Also, the beer here is more palatable here for my taste buds than ales at home so that didn't help the waistline. Now, being more proactive, I am starting to lose a bit of weight - hopefully
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

When i first got here i put on 8kilos in 6mths!!

Since August i have lost 22kilos!

My verdict... i think a lot of people fall into the trap of eating out and enjoying the "holiday" mode when they first get here and thats what tends to pile it on, but once you settle into a normal day to day routine for me, Austlaia has been a huge plus in changing my attitude and actually WANTING a healthier life.
Yes theres fast food outlets everywhere but ive never really been into that sort of food anyway so no dramas there. I usded to eat loads of curries and chinese food in UK and i dont really like them here so thats gone out the window too.
What i have found is that the quality of fresh food is far superior and i really do want to eat it whereas UK fruit was yukky(compare a british peach to an aussie one and just taste the difference!!) meat way overpriced and not good quality.
I enjoy going to the pool far more here as i have the choice of outdoors most of the time as it rarely rains in Adelaide during summer! I'm not paranoid at being laughed at for being big when i go to a gym as people are friendly and encouraging instead of scathing mocking.

BUT..by far, the most inportant thing of all in helping me lose weight is my happiness within myself. Some would say that has nothing to do with where you are, but Australia has made me feel happier and more able to tackle it. I like my life now and because of that i want to be fitter to enjoy it more. All the things i mentioned above just make it easier to achieve
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:36 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by podgypossum
When i first got here i put on 8kilos in 6mths!!

Since August i have lost 22kilos!

Bloody 'ell!! Well done you
Old Mar 20th 2005, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thankyou.. still got a way to go but i'm getting there.Husband bought me a very expensive treadmill for my birthday so i can keep on trucking through the winter
Old Mar 20th 2005, 4:09 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Thankyou.. still got a way to go but i'm getting there.Husband bought me a very expensive treadmill for my birthday so i can keep on trucking through the winter

Ah-ha, no excuses now I see! Good luck
Old Mar 20th 2005, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I lost weight prior to coming, partly because I had a good routine and a gym buddy (Petra!) and the stress of it all. I've put it all back on again - not loads but enough for me to notice! It's been too hot for me... plus we haven't had the cash flow to join a gym, haven't got a pool either! I think it's about time I joined the gym, I'm much more inclined to make an effort when I'm paying for it lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.