Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does the doc need medical records?

Does the doc need medical records?

Old May 5th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Default Does the doc need medical records?

May have a major problem... maybe not..

Who knows whether the Doc needs to access your medical records? We moved house and have just signed up to a new surgery. Have now discovered that it can take anything from 12 weeks to 26 weeks for the records to get from the old doctors surgery to the new one and that it's really hard to track them in between!

In a real panic as probably going to be needing Medicals within the next couple of months. Had I realised I wouldn't have registered at the new surgery, though it would have meant my GP was 20 miles away.

Any ideas on whether they need your records or whether it's based on the medicals?

Thanks
Old May 5th 2005, 7:33 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the doc need medical records?

Originally Posted by Seabird

Who knows whether the Doc needs to access your medical records? We moved house and have just signed up to a new surgery. Have now discovered that it can take anything from 12 weeks to 26 weeks for the records to get from the old doctors surgery to the new one and that it's really hard to track them in between!

In a real panic as probably going to be needing Medicals within the next couple of months. Had I realised I wouldn't have registered at the new surgery, though it would have meant my GP was 20 miles away.

Any ideas on whether they need your records or whether it's based on the medicals?

Thanks
We're in exactly the same boat. Thankfully the doc didn't find any problems that needed the extra historical info. At least so far anyway because our blood tests haven't come back yet.
Old May 5th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wmoore
We're in exactly the same boat. Thankfully the doc didn't find any problems that needed the extra historical info. At least so far anyway because our blood tests haven't come back yet.
Thanks, Wmoore. Don't know what happens if they do need something. At least it helps to know that they only refer to them if there's a problem. Just have to start getting out and jogging. Poor neighbours in the surrounding streets :scared:
Old May 5th 2005, 7:47 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Wmoore. Don't know what happens if they do need something. At least it helps to know that they only refer to them if there's a problem. Just have to start getting out and jogging. Poor neighbours in the surrounding streets :scared:
We've been chasing our records for the last week and a bit because the docs did say they wanted our immunisation records since birth Thankfully we've managed to side-step that one (we hope) because the doc admitted it was a standard letter they send out but the immunisation records only apply for NZ.

When you change GP, the new GP contacts their Primary Care Trust, who contacts your old surgery's PCT, who contacts your old surgery.

Then your old surgery sends the records to their PCT, who sends it to the new PCT, who sends it to the new GP.

What a bloody ridiculous state of affairs. Ever wondered where all those billions spent on the NHS went?
Old May 5th 2005, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmoore
We've been chasing our records for the last week and a bit because the docs did say they wanted our immunisation records since birth Thankfully we've managed to side-step that one (we hope) because the doc admitted it was a standard letter they send out but the immunisation records only apply for NZ.

When you change GP, the new GP contacts their Primary Care Trust, who contacts your old surgery's PCT, who contacts your old surgery.

Then your old surgery sends the records to their PCT, who sends it to the new PCT, who sends it to the new GP.

What a bloody ridiculous state of affairs. Ever wondered where all those billions spent on the NHS went?
Now which party had THAT on their manifesto??
Old May 5th 2005, 7:53 pm
What's happening dudes?

Now which party had THAT on their manifesto??
Funny I don't remember reading it
Old May 5th 2005, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

Thanks
Hi

basically it depends what your tell them, if you tell them that you are on meds or have recurring (sp) conditions) they will want to know more. Apparently they can't ask for you records they can only request a report of a specific nature i.e. how severe is the arthritis and willl it affect ability to work. but what they really want to know is that you are not going to be a drain on the healthservice - such as it is
so in all you just need to fill in the form very carefully - remember the blood test is only for HIV and in some cases hepatitis they are not actively looking for anything else
good luck
jax
Old May 6th 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaxowen
Hi

basically it depends what your tell them, if you tell them that you are on meds or have recurring (sp) conditions) they will want to know more. Apparently they can't ask for you records they can only request a report of a specific nature i.e. how severe is the arthritis and willl it affect ability to work. but what they really want to know is that you are not going to be a drain on the healthservice - such as it is
so in all you just need to fill in the form very carefully - remember the blood test is only for HIV and in some cases hepatitis they are not actively looking for anything else
good luck
jax
Thanx Jax!!

Hopefully all will be well. Not on any meds or any health problems, so I reckon we'll be okay. I think it would have been more of a problem if they routinely asked for a copy of our records.

Claire.