Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does a builder need an ABN?

Does a builder need an ABN?

Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Does a builder need an ABN?

I am about to engage a contractor to renovate my bathroom for me. They have a BSA Licence and are a member of Master Builders Queensland, however on the Minor Works Contract they haven't put an ABN. Is this something I should be wary about?

The quote includes GST, can they charge that if they don't have an ABN?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:37 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does a builder need an ABN?

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I am about to engage a contractor to renovate my bathroom for me. They have a BSA Licence and are a member of Master Builders Queensland, however on the Minor Works Contract they haven't put an ABN. Is this something I should be wary about?

You need an ABN to register for GST. The GST invoice will certainly require their ABN. Why not just ask them for the ABN?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

And if they say they don't have one, can I reasonably expect to take 10% off the bill!??
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:50 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

And if they say they don't have one, can I reasonably expect to take 10% off the bill!??
20% for the inconvenience
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

If the income is less than fifty thousand then they have an ABN but they do not have to be registered for GST. You can check on line to see if people are registered for GST. Just get the ABN and then check. Google should bring it up in your State.

I have an ABN and I just use it if I am going to do a bit of casual work saves messing around with tax forms etc.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to search the ABR for their business name (or their own name if thats what they trade under). If they are not on there then it sounds a bit suss to me.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks i did a search and their ABN came up, so all good
Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

thanks i did a search and their ABN came up, so all good
That's great!!! Hope you have a beautiful new bathroom soon!!

Love

Rudi