Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live between Gladstone and Mackay?

Does anyone live between Gladstone and Mackay?

Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:40 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Does anyone live between Gladstone and Mackay?

I have the chance of a job up the coast in one of two destinations; Callemondah Nr Gladstone and Sarina Nr Mackay.

Have done all my research etc....but wondered if anyone on BE lives there and can give me the lowdown?

We are currently trying to decide wether to up sticks and go for it or not - the job isn't definite yet but we are trying to be prepared should the offer come through

So, anyone got any opinions on these parts?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:59 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone live between Gladstone and Mackay?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
I have the chance of a job up the coast in one of two destinations; Callemondah Nr Gladstone and Sarina Nr Mackay.

Have done all my research etc....but wondered if anyone on BE lives there and can give me the lowdown?

We are currently trying to decide wether to up sticks and go for it or not - the job isn't definite yet but we are trying to be prepared should the offer come through

I think Framac is up that way. Might be worth a PM.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stitch
I think Framac is up that way. Might be worth a PM.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:24 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Biggy lives between the two and she loves giving out opinions
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:56 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

I did before moving to Blighty.

either of those places would be good. nice smaller towns but close to the bigger ones for extra shopping (Callemondah is just on outskirts of Gladstone really).

however if you want to swim in the ocean lots then i would go for the Callemondah option as you don't get stingers much that far south. also you are within an easy day drive of Brisbane should you want to visit the big smoke more often. very nice areas and lots of unspoilt places to live.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:32 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

ooooh WISH YA LUCK MATE !!!!!! Wont be same in Brizzy without ya
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
ooooh WISH YA LUCK MATE !!!!!! Wont be same in Brizzy without ya
Hmmmm, it shall be a much more pleasant place to live....thats what ya mean aint it?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:02 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, it shall be a much more pleasant place to live....thats what ya mean aint it?
Well, heres the go lol.

My mate lives and works in MAckay, and in his words, it is expanding exponentially. He is earning twice what we are in Brisbane.

I have never ventured up that far, and to be honest, I would I think feel a tad isolated. Possibly because I am so used to SEQ now.

I reckon, you should stay down here personally.. if you CAN!

1. you have a good circle of friends now
2. you live in a great area
3. kaz has a job, so gets her out from under your feet.
4. you know the area, and its becoming more and more familiar.

I must admit, tho, It has to be easier for you guys, that it would us, as we have several dogs kids and 3.2 billion flies to relocate.

I havent got any issues with where I live, as long as i am moving up the property ladder or at least sideways i feel happy, but I do hear Mackay is beautiful ( not sure between there and gladstone ( its about 5 hr drive isnt it ))

Mate, least you will be away from that Welsh Fella Soapy !!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:08 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

make the move as country life is soooo much better.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:18 pm

Well, heres the go lol.

My mate lives and works in MAckay, and in his words, it is expanding exponentially. He is earning twice what we are in Brisbane.

I have never ventured up that far, and to be honest, I would I think feel a tad isolated. Possibly because I am so used to SEQ now.

I reckon, you should stay down here personally.. if you CAN!

1. you have a good circle of friends now
2. you live in a great area
3. kaz has a job, so gets her out from under your feet.
4. you know the area, and its becoming more and more familiar.

I must admit, tho, It has to be easier for you guys, that it would us, as we have several dogs kids and 3.2 billion flies to relocate.

I havent got any issues with where I live, as long as i am moving up the property ladder or at least sideways i feel happy, but I do hear Mackay is beautiful ( not sure between there and gladstone ( its about 5 hr drive isnt it ))

Mate, least you will be away from that Welsh Fella Soapy !!
Yup, it's a toughy mate! All the points you mention are whats making the decision difficult. I could also work down here with the same job and am not really guaranteed any particular location, although I do get some say in it.
To be honest, we really quite fancy giving it a go up there. It looks stunning on the web and most people we speak to say we would love it. In a sense, I came here to get away from the hustle and bustle of Surrey and find a bit of serenity. That's where it all goes wrong - we're not really finding it here in Redcliffe - lovely though it is it's still too bloomin' busy!

It's gonna be a couple of months yet before anything is definite as the interview and assessment process for this job is pretty long winded. Got some serious soul searching to conduct in that time!

But yes, having that welsh fella on my doorstep is worrying - one good reason to head north and not look back
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:29 pm
Banned

Yup, it's a toughy mate! All the points you mention are whats making the decision difficult. I could also work down here with the same job and am not really guaranteed any particular location, although I do get some say in it.
To be honest, we really quite fancy giving it a go up there. It looks stunning on the web and most people we speak to say we would love it. In a sense, I came here to get away from the hustle and bustle of Surrey and find a bit of serenity. That's where it all goes wrong - we're not really finding it here in Redcliffe - lovely though it is it's still too bloomin' busy!

It's gonna be a couple of months yet before anything is definite as the interview and assessment process for this job is pretty long winded. Got some serious soul searching to conduct in that time!

But yes, having that welsh fella on my doorstep is worrying - one good reason to head north and not look back

LOL

Same here, but perhaps not as adventurous as you, but we do live in what some ppl class as Woop Woop.

I think given the distance you have travelled to get here, then a few hundred k's aint gonna hurt, specially with the whitsundays so close... how cools that !!
Plus you will be on the G.B.Reef.

ya do know tho, SIMILARLY to Sean ( cresta ) you will grow an extra finger on each hand and start sprouting a mullet !! soon as you drive past Eumundi !
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased things are looking good for ya on the work front mate but bloody hell that's a canny trek to the Tindaloo house!Well at least the travel should be well subsidised !
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:20 am

LOL

Same here, but perhaps not as adventurous as you, but we do live in what some ppl class as Woop Woop.

I think given the distance you have travelled to get here, then a few hundred k's aint gonna hurt, specially with the whitsundays so close... how cools that !!
Plus you will be on the G.B.Reef.

ya do know tho, SIMILARLY to Sean ( cresta ) you will grow an extra finger on each hand and start sprouting a mullet !! soon as you drive past Eumundi !
Have started work on the ZZ Top beard already, much to the dismay of 'er indoors! PMSL!!! As for the mullet, that aint never gonna happen - gonna shave it even shorter and get me some o' them wrap around blacker than black bikie stylee sunnies!! Should fit RIGHT in with the yocals then! Oh yeah, and gotta get me arms sorted out - all over tatts is the go aint it?

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Pleased things are looking good for ya on the work front mate but bloody hell that's a canny trek to the Tindaloo house!Well at least the travel should be well subsidised !
Shit Bobby, hadn't even thought about that!
Was just saying last night that we have a craving for another one soon?
I can sense a 'trip to the curry hoose' coming on very soon!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Have started work on the ZZ Top beard already, much to the dismay of 'er indoors! PMSL!!! As for the mullet, that aint never gonna happen - gonna shave it even shorter and get me some o' them wrap around blacker than black bikie stylee sunnies!! Should fit RIGHT in with the yocals then! Oh yeah, and gotta get me arms sorted out - all over tatts is the go aint it?

Shit Bobby, hadn't even thought about that!
Was just saying last night that we have a craving for another one soon?
I can sense a 'trip to the curry hoose' coming on very soon!
If yas fancy coming down one fri or sat night in the near future feel free to contact us Rob.Better still there's nowt stopping ya from taking advantage of the eat , drink and overnight stay at ours offer if ya really wanna push the boat out ! You're more than welcome mate.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
If yas fancy coming down one fri or sat night in the near future feel free to contact us Rob.Better still there's nowt stopping ya from taking advantage of the eat , drink and overnight stay at ours offer if ya really wanna push the boat out ! You're more than welcome mate.
haveya mentioned , going rate is $99 p/p/p/night Bobby !! lolol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.