Reload this Page >

Does anyone know...

Does anyone know...

Old Mar 17th 2005, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Chalkfarm will become famous soon enough
Default Does anyone know...

Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about Little bay in Sydney.We have found a house there and need to know what its like as an area and what the schools are like.Any infomation would be great,thanks Claire
Old Mar 17th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know...

Originally Posted by Chalkfarm
Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about Little bay in Sydney.We have found a house there and need to know what its like as an area and what the schools are like.Any infomation would be great,thanks Claire
It's much cheaper down that way than the rest of the eastern suburbs. Main reason is - there's a rather large jail nearby - which is a bit offputting for some. Also you're getting close to the Botany Bay container terminal and and the airport which is reflected in the house prices. Housing is much the same as the surrounding suburbs. There's a small aboriginal community at La Perouse so some community/housing commission houses that way.

Don't have any direct experience of the schools but going on what I've heard: Primary schools in the Malabar/Maroubra area are fine. Matraville High (local state High school) is small (as High schools go) and caters for the aboriginal community. South Sydney is the other state High School in the area and is pretty ordinary. Catholic High schools and the schools towards Maroubra have a better name.

Having said all that, they will soon be developing the old Prince Henry Hospital site which is in Little Bay and is the largest patch of ocean-front land to become available for years. The site is gorgeous (can't see the jail from there!) with it's own lovely beach and almost totally surrounded by golf courses. Once it's developed, prices in that area will probably shoot up and it'll become far more desirable - so Little Bay may well be a seriously good investment.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickyc
It's much cheaper down that way than the rest of the eastern suburbs. Main reason is - there's a rather large jail nearby - which is a bit offputting for some. Also you're getting close to the Botany Bay container terminal and and the airport which is reflected in the house prices. Housing is much the same as the surrounding suburbs. There's a small aboriginal community at La Perouse so some community/housing commission houses that way.

Don't have any direct experience of the schools but going on what I've heard: Primary schools in the Malabar/Maroubra area are fine. Matraville High (local state High school) is small (as High schools go) and caters for the aboriginal community. South Sydney is the other state High School in the area and is pretty ordinary. Catholic High schools and the schools towards Maroubra have a better name.

Having said all that, they will soon be developing the old Prince Henry Hospital site which is in Little Bay and is the largest patch of ocean-front land to become available for years. The site is gorgeous (can't see the jail from there!) with it's own lovely beach and almost totally surrounded by golf courses. Once it's developed, prices in that area will probably shoot up and it'll become far more desirable - so Little Bay may well be a seriously good investment.
Thanks for the info,we have found a house to rent there,we have been to the beach and seen the old hospital site it will be amazing when finished.We have looked everywhere for a house to rent and have been told there is a real shortage.We loved the eastern beaches but we also have a dog and this has caused us so many problems, we could not find a thing.Then this house came up,its a new 4 bed,and they dont mind the dog.
We did see the prison,its hard to miss,but its a distance away from us.The schools are a big concern i dont mind dropping them off to school,so can you apply for a school outside your area?,as i dont want to send my eldest to matriville high.
We thought it would be easy to find a nice house but it has been the hardest and most stressful time for us all.If we could of found a house in coggee,marouba we would of, but nothing has come up and our dog is out of eastern creek in 2 weeks and they will not let him stay in the serviced appartment.We have even looked north and south,but nothing.Thanks for your help and info and if you do know anything about the school situation i would be very grateful,claire
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:31 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

what age are the kids?????? im sure u told me
if they are teens, south sydney high has a good name. both my girls go there and are very happy
sorry i keep forgettin u have the dog and will find it harder to get a place. 4 bedders are hard to come buy in this area even without a dog. Go into agents in the area and explain the situation to them, tell them to find u a place. Go to every single one in the area. It worked for us, without a dog though

Last edited by soapy©; Mar 17th 2005 at 8:36 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:42 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

see if this link works
http://www.elders.com.au/realestate/...list_id=157087
or this
http://www.justlisted.com.au/sp/jlre...bs=215&sbs=219
or this
http://www.justlisted.com.au/members...outhSydney.htm

Last edited by soapy©; Mar 17th 2005 at 8:48 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:56 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Chalkfarm
We did see the prison,its hard to miss,but its a distance away from us.would
Where we lived on the NSW Central Coast we had the naughty boy centre on the hill at Mount Penang, housed some real evil ones including those disgusting gang rapists from Sydney.

BUT were never had an ounce of trouble from it, so don't let it put you off. You forget it is around.

Good luck.

Merlot

Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
what age are the kids?????? im sure u told me
if they are teens, south sydney high has a good name. both my girls go there and are very happy
sorry i keep forgettin u have the dog and will find it harder to get a place. 4 bedders are hard to come buy in this area even without a dog. Go into agents in the area and explain the situation to them, tell them to find u a place. Go to every single one in the area. It worked for us, without a dog though
We have been to every agent in Randwick,they cover Marouba,coggee,we have also been to all the agents in the southern shire and upto the northern beaches.Most have been very helpful,but a dog is a big problem and with the lack of houses available to rent the landlords can pick and choose their tennants,they dont want dogs.We have had to say he sleeps outside aswell as they dont want dogs in the house,we are going to have to buy a house for him and pretend he sleeps outside and hope they give us notice before coming to check.I have emailed the schools in marouba,randwick and the south sydney one.My boys are 12,11 and 4.So I need primary and secondary schools.I thought this would be alot less stressful than it has been,all we wanted was a nice 3 bed in a nice area,but i dont think that is going to happen.Claire
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Merlot
Where we lived on the NSW Central Coast we had the naughty boy centre on the hill at Mount Penang, housed some real evil ones including those disgusting gang rapists from Sydney.

BUT were never had an ounce of trouble from it, so don't let it put you off. You forget it is around.

Good luck.

Merlot
Thats how we feel about the prison,it is big but they cant get out so it should not be a huge problem,just an eyesore.!LOL.I never thought I would live near a prison, but we are desperate .ITS THE SCHOOLS THAT ARE CAUSING ME STRESS ...................