Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know

Does anyone know

Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone know

Whether it is legal for a carpet company to insist on ALL money upfront before suppling and fitting a carpet.

Allied Carpets (Yes I should know better but there were reasons) asked for half the payment as a deposit when we placed the order. - No problem with that.
They then asked that we pay the remainder the day before fitting. I said no you can have it after fitting so I know it will be done properly. They said if you don't give us the money, we won't fit - ffs. We paid the money yesterday, numpty rang up this morning and said sorry not coming today, possibly fit you in on Monday. Won't go into the rest of the conversation but at the end of the day, they have our money and our carpet. Is this common practice with any other companies.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:18 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Whether it is legal for a carpet company to insist on ALL money upfront before suppling and fitting a carpet.

Allied Carpets (Yes I should know better but there were reasons) asked for half the payment as a deposit when we placed the order. - No problem with that.
They then asked that we pay the remainder the day before fitting. I said no you can have it after fitting so I know it will be done properly. They said if you don't give us the money, we won't fit - ffs. We paid the money yesterday, numpty rang up this morning and said sorry not coming today, possibly fit you in on Monday. Won't go into the rest of the conversation but at the end of the day, they have our money and our carpet. Is this common practice with any other companies.
Hi moneypen

Oo, this doesn't sound too good!!. My philosophy is that if a company wants full payment before the job is done, don't go anywhere near them. Any reputable company would expect some sort of deposit but full payment would be when the job has been completed.

I'd keep after them for a fitting date.

D D
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:20 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Happened to us a few years back with private carpet fitter, will come today will come tomorrow etc, i went to his shop a had a gentle word, the carpet was fitted the next day.

If they dont fit it by monday, tell them you will phone your solicitor. Carpet will be fiited v shortly after that.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you Pen, I'd tell Allied to stick their fitting schedule where the sun doesn't shine, ask for your deposit back, as no work has actually been done, and get someone better to do it! Just an idea.......
Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
If I were you Pen, I'd tell Allied to stick their fitting schedule where the sun doesn't shine, ask for your deposit back, as no work has actually been done, and get someone better to do it! Just an idea.......
Very tempting Tony but I wan't the piggin carpet. We went with them cos they promised - huh- the fitting date and it was relatively cheap. Wasn't but in comparison to everyone else we tried. Don't want to spend too much cos we will only have about 6 months use of it! Caught between a rock and a hard place. We want the carpet, they want the money, they won't give us the carpet without all the money, we want the carpet. Now they have our money What really p*ssed me off was the "customer services w***er" - they just don't give a monkeys. If I get no joy on Monday, I will go in and explain what customer service means and where they can shove it - but I will still have no carpet and we really wanted it down before christmas.

Bigger picture, it's not important but ........
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:13 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Very tempting Tony but I wan't the piggin carpet. We went with them cos they promised - huh- the fitting date and it was relatively cheap. Wasn't but in comparison to everyone else we tried. Don't want to spend too much cos we will only have about 6 months use of it! Caught between a rock and a hard place. We want the carpet, they want the money, they won't give us the carpet without all the money, we want the carpet. Now they have our money What really p*ssed me off was the "customer services w***er" - they just don't give a monkeys. If I get no joy on Monday, I will go in and explain what customer service means and where they can shove it - but I will still have no carpet and we really wanted it down before christmas.

Bigger picture, it's not important but ........

Sounds like a scam, if only for time and not your money.
My partners father had some problems with an online shop earlier this year. After much going backwards and forwards I got the Advertising Standards Authority on to them. I'm not saying you get the "carpet ombudsman" involved at this stage, but perhaps it wouldn't hurt to have some options on the ready just in case
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:15 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I wouldny give them a penny until the carpet is down. Just look whats happening with the people who gave money to Courtts for their furniture.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

All good training for "Customer Service Australian Style"!

If you paid by credit card at least you are in a firm position.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:21 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Going into the shop and telling your story to others about to sign on the dotted line usually gets results ...

(Although carpet shops aren't always soooo busy, so you might want to take a thermos of tea, too!)

GG
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:21 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Sounds to me like you've got a possible breach of contract. They say ... you agree: equates, usually, to a binding contract. If they haven't performed their part of the deal, they're in breach. Try talking to them about involving the media and see what result you get! Failing that, take all paperwork to a solicitor, but I'd try the media first. Can work wonders! G'luck.